Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

7 hours ago, PhineasC said:

About 50 people or so live up on the hill where I am.

300 some in Randolph total. It's a very sparse area.

If you want this lifestyle, just do it, is my advice. Most people here are working class salt-of-the earth types. They are not high-rollers and most of the homes in Randolph are very modest. I live in basically the largest compound in the town. This entire area is very blue collar which was a big part of the draw for me. I love the people here and in Gorham/Berlin/Milan. Honest, hardworking people.

There are honest, hardworking people everywhere.

• Like 3

Just now, MarkO said:

I guess Bretton Woods is where I'm going. 

I guess I'll be hitting Bretton Woods. Supposedly 10-12" on the mountain. Totally skunked in Thornton. Did you accumulate yesterday afternoon at all?

Bretton Woods? We started accumulating around 1 pm or so - although it was very light for the first couple of hours

7 hours ago, wxsniss said:

Thank you for that. That is so refreshing.

Only the best here, including you, Walt, and some others, are confident enough to admit when they were wrong and understand why.

Attributing incorrect forecasts to weenie maps across the board is a tiresome narrative. Career NWS mets, actually putting up concrete maps, and to an audience of hundreds of thousands, got this and other storms wrong, and it's not because they were rip-reading weatherbell maps.

There were plenty of red flags that we can point to in hindisight. As always, a confluence explains the bust. Last night we actually mentioned that the best omega was well below the DGZ in eastern SNE throughout most of the event --- but maybe we dismissed that as generating poor but not inadequate snowgrowth. We've certainly overcome that in other storms. A stinger never really materialized. We've certainly had past storms overcome marginal airmasses with good dynamics, and maybe this just did not pack enough punch. Not a single person here would have said Northborough would end up with 1.5". Even Lunenberg managed only 6.5" lol.

The weenie maps just don’t take anything important really into consideration. I hate them lol. I thought it would pound in metro west, but it did not. I do think the lift into the DGZ was only confined to a narrow area associated with the higher terrain coincidentally (I think I even said it’s possible this could be a storm that really differs from low elevation to high elevation). Therefore if it doesn’t pound dendrites, it is tough to latent cool to near 32. That’s probably a big reason. If I was on air or a NWS met, I would have busted there for sure. Hell I busted on 1-3 for BOS lol. Congrats on the little one!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

thanks i know about all the PNS statements thats one of the resources i always use to make a verification map. I always ask here though because about half either dont report or dont make it to the PNS statement, plus i want to make sure its the latest updated amount. Sometimes they have slightly older numbers and not the final amount in the PNS. I'm assuming the 6.0" was yours from Tolland. That is the final right?

Looks like the highest in CT was from Union at 10"

Trace here.

Just now, moneypitmike said:

Anyone who scored the most and how much from this?  I'm guessing it was Jeff.

Phineas prob has 16-18? Could be more...Alex in the other side of the mountains looked like he did pretty well too though prob a bit less. 

Our N ORH county posters had 10-12...I measured just shy of 10” on winter hill on the north side of ORH. Back in Holliston we had about 4 inches of the densest/wettest snow I’ve seen. 

Randy/Zwyts chasing in eustis Maine prob had over a foot. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

thanks i know about all the PNS statements thats one of the resources i always use to make a verification map. I always ask here though because about half either dont report or dont make it to the PNS statement, plus i want to make sure its the latest updated amount. Sometimes they have slightly older numbers and not the final amount in the PNS. I'm assuming the 6.0" was yours from Tolland. That is the final right?

Looks like the highest in CT was from Union at 10"

Trace here.

Yeah. 800 feet and above had 6” in town. There was 3-4 under 650’

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

That's this storm? Looks like arctic powder and a lot of it.

It really cooled off.  You can tell it was paste at some point by how it’s stuck to the cars.  Arctic pow and that wind the cars are probably cleaned off lol.  Perfect right side up snowfall for the skiers up there.