Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

When everyone was flipping to snow ahead of schedule I thought it was going to be a positive bust...LOL. Shows how quickly things can change. I was sure that the 128 belt was gonna get rocked. They were changing over around 2pm and it looked excellent for hours...but they just never mustered the intensity after the flip. The low level temps were a problem but I’m still surprised. I guess maybe the lift wasn’t quite lining up perfectly in DGZ which really helps in marginal setups. You need everything to go right...esp at lower elevations and perhaps that was the one ingredient missing in an otherwise perfect opportunity to overcome the marginal near-sfc layer. 

Given the reports I guess Northborough didn't do so well after all. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, TheMainer said:

As of about 8pm about 6 inches in Monson (20 miles south of Moosehead Lake, Maine), dad's lady friend posted this picture. Hoping we still clear 10 inches up that way to start getting the sleds out to pack and cut blowdowns

130190348_10157854564890886_878332977916

Great pic.  6" or more of paste looks real nice.

2 hours ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Hey man how was the trip? I made a quick spot change this am. I have no clue how my original spots doing but I’m doing fine here. Kind of wish I made the little extra trip to Maine, but no complaints. I wasn’t expected anything crazy I just didn’t get like any snow last year so I’ve been feening 

Trip was easy, except for the fishtail, accident, crashing into the  guard rail dude that was just in front of me.  Knew that was going to happening because mofo was hauling ass...way too fast.    Up to 6" here now

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Given the reports I guess Northborough didn't do so well after all. :lol: 

My guess is they had about 5 or 6 inches. Not too bad but I would’ve thought more of you asked me this morning when it was flipping pretty early. 

30 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, there was no cold air. It isn’t like I was in the teens today even way up here. It was a 31/32 degree Baltimore cement job all day. Even now with NW winds ripping its 29. Just no cold air around. 

Yea...when it’s 31/32 at 1600 feet in northern NH under heavy precip...nuff said. 

56 minutes ago, wdrag said:

MUCH MUCH better. Just took a look at snow fall and many of these reports were not LSR'd (I don't think).  Appreciate the update...  lots to chase at these WFO's. Some easier to note what is timely, than at others.  Do not like that statement: Latest.  Always should have date-time. Permits a person to immediately know if something is timely for their use. Done w my  complaint.  Thanks for keeping me up to speed.  Walt

You know you are a weenie when retired and "lots to chase st these WFOs"...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

My guess is they had about 5 or 6 inches. Not too bad but I would’ve thought more of you asked me this morning when it was flipping pretty early. 

I remember driving up there in Mar 2019 for a work event and seeing the huge piles of snow and being jealous. In Feb that year I had to drive to an event at the Boston Museum of Science in a sleet/ice event by me to snow in MA and praying I wouldn't die on the Mass Pike. Fun times.

Just now, jm1220 said:

I remember driving up there in Mar 2019 for a work event and seeing the huge piles of snow and being jealous. In Feb that year I had to drive to an event at the Boston Museum of Science in a sleet/ice event by me to snow in MA and praying I wouldn't die on the Mass Pike. Fun times.

Ahh yes those piles were prob from the 3/4/19 storm. That was the best storm that winter. Dumped a widespread 8-16” for the eastern 2/3rds of SNE. 

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Gotta be the heaviest of the day so far based on the look in the deck spotlight. 

Looks like a break coming in a few hours unless it fills in. Is this thing supposed to be pivoting?

I doubt the dry slot makes it to you. You should stay under banding until about 2-3am then it’s upslope after that. 

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Which is why guys like Will read the sounding and said I should be isothermal with several inches...ooops.

Yeah I don’t think anyone would have forecasted 2” there based on the data we saw. Same reason I didn’t buy the 3-4” amounts it was spitting out for ORH.  

I figured at least 4-5” minimum for you (like what many got further south of you in the 495 belt). One of those weird events...I’m wondering if the longitude there hurt with the lift placement not being as much in the DGZ. Would be interesting to go back and look when this is over. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Ahh yes those piles were prob from the 3/4/19 storm. That was the best storm that winter. Dumped a widespread 8-16” for the eastern 2/3rds of SNE. 

Yep. That dropped 4-6" here but I remember how it bombed in time for you guys and had slightly colder air like this one was supposed... :axe: 

The Feb trip I took though was a nightmare. I remember seeing a truck spinning out on the Mass Pike in my direction and just missing it. Getting out of NYC in a sleetstorm wasn't easy either. That sucked. When I got to Boston and kissed the ground it was raining as the storm was ending but there was 4-5" on the ground I'd guess. I moaned about how lousy 18-19 was but considering last winter it wasn't too bad snow-wise. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I don’t think anyone would have forecasted 2” there based on the data we saw. Same reason I didn’t buy the 3-4” amounts it was spitting out for ORH.  

I figured at least 4-5” minimum for you (like what many got further south of you in the 495 belt). One of those weird events...I’m wondering if the longitude there hurt with the lift placement not being as much in the DGZ. Would be interesting to go back and look when this is over. 

Yea, don't take that the wrong way...not a shot at you at all. Just saying that even the greatest minds like you thought several inches, but that map nailed it at 2".