Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

So essentially the radar is not as bad as it appears? 

Yes, essentially the radar is putting out full power but some is immediately taken away by the rain/snow on the dome. So when the returns from Metrowest make it back to the radar, it seems as if there was way less power returned than was sent out and the radar thinks there isn't any moderate to heavy precip there. 

How quickly that Z dropped out was a red flag for me. Doesn't usually happen in minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What radar product do you use and you did say you have been at a bar all day right..

Lol. Agree it isn’t super pretty but ground truth is fairly impressive. I love my 4-8’’ call. Might be a little nervous if I went higher than that. 

• Like 1

Yeah winds gusting out of NW more than N already... can see low center on radar almost at KBOS latitude

21z HRRR still strong through 8pm or so for metrowest... obviously best will be north shore

As expected, the crappy ratios 5:1-7:1 and melting aren't helping sensible accums

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Yes, essentially the radar is putting out full power but some is immediately taken away by the rain/snow on the dome. So when the returns from Metrowest make it back to the radar, it seems as if there was way less power returned than was sent out and the radar thinks there isn't any moderate to heavy precip there. 

How quickly that Z dropped out was a red flag for me. Doesn't usually happen in minutes.

I love when we have new things happen and learn from them... Thanks for the analysis.. Great catch 

1 minute ago, apm said:

It's a good explanation, but the ground truth says it's not an artifact. Visibility has gone up to over a mile here just west of Boston. It really has petered out already.

Well the radar image is an artifact, but that doesn't mean the snow rates aren't letting up also. As has been the case much of the day, unless it's heavy precipitation overhead it's going to struggle to maintain a steady snow. 

• Like 2

Just now, OceanStWx said:

A big part of our job is figuring out WTF is happening, and diagnosing it quickly enough to shit or get off the pot. :lol:

nice catch.  As someone working with X band that kind of thing happens all the time and it certainly had a familiar look to it.  But one thing I noticed was that the returned power from the cell out on the ocean didn't appear to be changing very much... Could the wind be squeegee-ing away water on the east side, creating some kind of differential radome attenuation?  That'd be interesting.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, apm said:

It's a good explanation, but the ground truth says it's not an artifact. Visibility has gone up to over a mile here just west of Boston. It really has petered out already.

Yea, I have 1.5" as of 530 pm and that is disappointing, I don't care how much snow is on the radar.

Not doubting Chris' Science, but more to it.

• Like 3