Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Alright I’m ready for this POS to move out of here. 

1.2”

Honestly ... ?   I started sensing a bit of 'event fatigue' as early as yesterday morning...  I figured seeing the actual routine unfold might tune me back in, and it did... admittedly. I was pretty excited to watch the transition this morning. 

I think we almost have too much access to data this and modeling that... and constant stimuli therein and from and it's a constant siege and just when we could deflate the next model cycles is out ... There's no 'real' down time ? Not like even 10 years ago when the product suites worth a shit were really just the 12 and 00 cycles.. Now, seems you can't take it all in and you have to leave some behind ... then this engagement or other social media?  Jesus - 'nough is 'nough.

It does in a way put me off to it. I don't see this storm as warranting that sort of attention. This is a typical "seasonal anomaly" - nothing extraordinary... and probably worth some dialogue and fun with the models.. but I probably could have imposed more discipline on my own weather obsession -

We'll see where the late afternoon takes us...

Seeing 'back edge' rad behavior into SW CT and a pan-wide weakening out toward Orange - may be consolidating this into a stricter central/E deal as we speak.  I'm wondering if we'll get some rad pulsation/flairs in bands in said region.  Also, where's that slow down the late runs had last night, too - wondering about that but ..heh, I don't wanna even look at a model   lol

3" of glob...  S... 32.7

• Like 1

Just now, mahk_webstah said:

That’s what it looks like in radars.  No good band setting up here despite a storm track that should be good for us.  We’vI really struggle a lot in these coastal’s lately.e I really struggle a lot in these coastal’s lately.

I had a mini melt. Repulled my back and was trying to shake wet snow off of my bamboo that was almost touching the ground. I’m on the heating pad so I’m in a better mood right now.

We still have some of the banding coming through from ESE to WNW. I’m not sure if the heavies can sustain up my way for any length of time, but you should still have a period of heavy rates. I just missed my QPF bomb by a hair and a degree again. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Just sitting here under this band.

RAD_KGYX_N0R_ANI.gif

Which stubbornly resists much northward movement.  Should that continue, I see a significant bust, 12-18" becoming maybe 6-8 (which still ain't too shabby for 1st week DEC.)  1/2"/hr isn't going to get our depth anywhere near the forecast.  Still time, however.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Which stubbornly resists much northward movement.  Should that continue, I see a significant bust, 12-18" becoming maybe 6-8 (which still ain't too shabby for 1st week DEC.)  1/2"/hr isn't going to get our depth anywhere near the forecast.  Still time, however.

Just looked at the 18z Nam for here and its spitting out ridiculous amounts over my head of 24"+, Kuchie totals are 18"+

• Like 1

Just now, tamarack said:

That’s brightbanding around the radar. As long as GYX, and vicinity, is 32-33° there’s going to be a lot of oranges and reds sitting over dryslot’s head. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I had a mini melt. Repulled my back and was trying to shake wet snow off of my bamboo that was almost touching the ground. I’m on the heating pad so I’m in a better mood right now.

We still have some of the banding coming through from ESE to WNW. I’m not sure if the heavies can sustain up my way for any length of time, but you should still have a period of heavy rates. I just missed my QPF bomb by a hair and a degree again. 

I will send you a private message about backs. I know some thing about them. It’s just I’m looking at the radar now and the echoes have not gotten any worse it looks like there’s some potential but the snowfall rates here have gotten worse. So that says to me that maybe we’re getting a north northeast wind or some thing that’s causing us to dry out a bit. I’m not optimistic at all, at least about snow

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That’s brightbanding around the radar. As long as GYX, and vicinity, is 32-33° there’s going to be a lot of oranges and reds sitting over dryslot’s head. 

Sitting right at 32/31°F.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Gray ME
213 PM EST Sat Dec 5 2020

MEZ012>014-018>022-033-052215-
Southern Oxford-Interior Cumberland Highlands-Androscoggin-Interior
York-Interior Waldo-Southern Franklin-Southern
Somerset-Kennebec-Central Interior Cumberland-
213 PM EST Sat Dec 5 2020

...An area of heavy snow will affect Kennebec...northwestern York...
northwestern Waldo...southern Oxford...Androscoggin...southeastern
Somerset...northwestern Cumberland and southeastern Franklin
Counties...

At 212 PM EST...An area of heavy snow was near Turner. The heavy snow
was nearly stationary.

Locations impacted include...
Lewiston, Augusta, Waterville, Farmington, Fairfield, Bridgton,
Fryeburg, Mechanic Falls, Skowhegan, Naples, Pittsfield, Oakland,
Turner, Rumford, Gray, Madison, Jay, China, Litchfield and Clinton.

This includes Interstate 95 between mile markers 69 and 81, and
between mile markers 109 and 156.

This also includes...
  Sebago Lake, Pleasant Mountain, Burnt Meadow Mountains, Long Lake,
and Albany Mountain.

* Visibilities will drop quickly to less than a quarter mile in
  this area of heavy snow.

* Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour are occurring in this
  area of heavy snow.

Icy roads are possible as the snow melts on the roads then quickly
refreezes.

LAT...LON 4354 7096 4424 7101 4468 7018 4497 6933