Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, IowaStorm05 said:

No, actually I’m in Willimantic. But it’s ripping here. I’m at 230’ elev. 

13AD8726-B8D0-444A-AB86-5CE2695315FE.jpeg

Is that near the Frog Bridge? I lived on Jackson St. several months ago. 

Meanwhile, I'm in West Boylston, MA for this event. I'll be moving to NC soon so I wanted to savor this [possibly] final snow event before I leave New England.

~3/4 inches of snow on the ground w/medium sized flakes. It has been snowing since roughly 10(ish)AM.

48 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Keep in mind that bright banding melting layer is between 1500-2000ft. 

Thanks Dendrite

I'm assuming all snow parallels somewhere NW of that line (i.e. melting producing rain/mix is occurring below 1500ft, and that sub-1500 ft warm layer is further northwest than the bright band). Matches with that report of mixing in Framingham... did not think we'd breach well into 495 by 18z.

Areas between 495 and 128 look to rock in a few hours.

26 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Initially Henniker but moved to Londonderry this morning right during the changeover, it’s SE of concord I believe. Was a good move. Would probably prefer to be even farther S/SE right now. I could’ve gone to SE Maine just didn’t want like an 8 hour drive home or whatever it is.

I think that’s a good spot 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I can't see more than 3", but hopefully wrong lol. Maybe 4 if lucky.

Gotcha, didn't get that vibe from your posts. I would tend to agree with you if this doesn't slow down as modeled. If it's in and out you are spot on. Gun to head I like the 3-6" range. Box has me at 6-10" in the p/c and around 5 or 6" on the actual maps. I definitely agree thats a little high. I'll stick to 3-6 or 4-8"... My exact guess is 5"

1 minute ago, MegaMike said:

Is that near the Frog Bridge? I lived on Jackson St. several months ago. 

Meanwhile, I'm in West Boylston, MA for this event. I'll be moving to NC soon so I wanted to savor this [possibly] final snow event before I leave New England.

~3/4 inches of snow on the ground w/medium sized flakes. It has been snowing since roughly 10(ish)AM.

It’s a little ways down from there but not too far! 

We also have about 3/4 inch now it’s more than this photo cuz that was ten minutes ago. It’s very pasty and branches are crashing. Heavy snowfall rates, and it didn’t change over her until 12:10pm

Man it’s ripping fatties. Don’t have a ruler but looks like about 2’’ OTG. Hard to tell if it’s sticking to the trees since there are hardly any trees downtown but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some power issues later on today. Maybe on a thanksgiving 2014 level?