• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

Okay... it's been a fun progression this morning ... really definitive almost 'staging' to this event.   But as of this hour ( 11 am and ticking on ...) we have commenced substantive and more obvious real accumulating. 

How's the RGEM doing ...lol.   You know, in a way we are like "snow storm scatologists" as the event poops out aggregate structures, we sift through them to determine the vitality of "snow" health...

Let me tell you something .. it ain't in favor of the pallid RGEM solutions - holy smokes.  If anything, this is ahead of schedule and vastly more aggressive than - at least for me, admittedly ... - my own interpretation of how this event would unfold.  Right now it is 33 F here, with uniform small to mid -sized aggegates, and everything exposed is/has turned white ... Interestingly, the streets are slushed over and whitening at the same rates as the grass  -..kind of interesting. I think the cold rain predawn sapped the streets of lay-over heat and so they were more primed and ready to cryo -

Anyway, the snow health of this thing here at 200 foot elevation in the Nashoba Valley is very, very good!  The scenery around the land-scape on me geek drive.. it looks like deep winter rather abruptly... It didn't 'flash' in the stricter 'subjective' definition of that sort of phenomenon... but pretty dern close!  

So quick recap:   

7:45 am, straight rain at dawn... 40 F ... One could almost imagine a 'fat' rain drop zipping down here and there and in fact, the particle size was large.   

8:45 "    , cat pawing/white rain 39 F ...

9:00 "    , cat pawing with occasional larger aggregate vestiges 38 F

9:30 "   ,  cat paws, large aggregates more common  37 F

10:   "   ,  large aggregates predominate.. but irregular intensity intervals.  37 F

10:30  ,  massive griddle cake aggregates and secondary aggregate bundles/truly enormous. One particle IS a winter storm warning.... ( jesus) First sign of visibility restriction... 36 F

10:45      ,  Vis 1/2 mi in pounding thumpers... aggregate and aggregate bundles begin falling slower, ..abruptly, smaller sizes commence 34F

Now ... 11:30,  vis 1/4 to 1/2 mi, uniform small to mid size aggregates are completely anti RGEM implicating ( heh..)... 1/2" accumulation but uniform cling to everything... 33 F but some networked home stations putting out 31 and 32s within 5 miles so...I think we're getting some thermal lag in a rapidly cooling column type deal...

It looks like a heavy snow storm out side, period -

• Like 2