Total Members
    Most Online
    City Central
    Newest Member
    City Central
Blue Moon

Tell me about the SUNY system

Hello NY forumers,

I am interested in transferring from my current university to one that offers a program for a BS in Meteorology. I'm located in Tennessee, but the SUNY system has caught my attention because of its  affordable out-of-state tuition- particularly that offered by SUNY-Oswego. I have also noticed many of these schools in the SUNY system have NWS-certified Meteorology programs which gives me some options to choose from. 

What's my background? Studied ChemE at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville for 3 years, but ditched it because it's just not the path for me, and I'm not passionate about it. I have more credits than I know what to do with, so hopefully many of those pre-reqs like Differential Eqns, Thermodynamics, Chemistry I and II, etc. will transfer over to a new school. I've used all four years of my scholarships in-state, and I'd like to go somewhere else with my life if UT-Knoxville is going to cost almost the same as going out of state for something I'm passionate about.

Thank y'all you guys for your help!

Sincerely,

A new poster

• Like 2

I can’t speak to the met programs, but I work for a SUNY (Univ at Buffalo) as an administrator. It’s a well run system with adequate resources. Each component school has its own character, although most of them look relatively similar as most campus buildings and expansion was done at the same time (in the 60s and 70s).

Based on impressions from the weather community; Oswego seems pretty awesome. I believe they don’t have grad programs in meteorology, so all undergraduate students get to be taught and do research directly with faculty, and you would go to school in an active weather environment, to say the least. I think Albany has a doctoral program in addition to an undergraduate program, so you would be in an intensive research environment at Albany — also sounds cool to me.

I’m a native Tennessean and I know how state support to schools in both the UT and TBR systems has been cut, driving up tuition and fees. That hasn’t happened here, but I will tell you that out of state students are particularly prized at SUNY schools because they pay at a significantly higher rate than in-state students (many of whom are undergrads on the even cheaper Excelsior program, which pays for most  recent NYS high school graduates to go to SUNY schools at a tuition rate of $0).

I encourage you to e-mail chairs/directors of undergraduate met programs. Tell them you would be an out of state transfer. If you have a good GPA in your undergrad studies to date, feel free to mention that. Tell them about your professional objectives and if you see a match between your interests and what faculty research at their schoools, definitely mention that. They want good, committed students, end to be honest, they especially want ones willing to pay out of state rates.

I’ve pointed out numerous times to department chairs, admissions officers, and program directors at UB that the out of state tuition for SUNY schools is competitive with in state rates in many other states. It’s good to hear someone in the market for the right school recognizes that the SUNY out of state rate is a good economic decision for them if they are interested in a particular specialized program.

Keep us updated! And hopefully some of the numerous Oswego grads in this forum will give you the inside scoop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SUNY Oswego has an impressive BS program in meteorology.   I went to a different SUNY school that offered both BS and graduate level meteorology. 

In my opinion you can’t go wrong for meteorological studies, however to be honest I was happy to leave SUNY and New York after my 4-years was up.   I haven’t looked back. 

By going to SUNY I feel I missed out on a more typical college experience.   The meteorology was outstanding, the rest of SUNY was underwhelming. 

If I could do it all over again I should have gone to a school with a lesser known meteorology program and better known in everything else, but of course this is all subjective.  

I think life and careers from the people I know at SUNY turned out as planned for about 1 in 25 students.   

• Thanks 1

By going to SUNY I feel I missed out on a more typical college experience.

I'll introduce you to The University of Tennessee. Be careful for what you wish for, because you just might get it; the scene there is overwhelming. I've spent four years there and I don't mind leaving the rows of party houses overflowing with 18 to 20 year olds.

I think life and careers from the people I know at SUNY turned out as planned for about 1 in 25 students.

Thanks, I needed this. Sometimes I need to remember things don't always pan out.

I could always stay at UT and major in related fields. What would you guys suggest?

Since you’ve already had your fill of the party life SUNY might be just the thing for you.   

It’s not that there isn’t a social life at SUNY, but I did feel those that didn’t go to SUNY campuses (various) had a more well rounded experience. 

For the amount of education, expertise and intelligence required to excel in meteorology the field puts forth a lot of obstacles.   Basic laws of supply and demand exist, so from my perspective those that made their love for weather and careers as their primary goal in life stuck with the field.   They were willing to accept the temporary set backs, low pay, etc.  

For most, life happens and it becomes easier to make the same or better money in other careers.  Less dislocation, uprooting of family, stability, etc.  

You sound very intelligent.  I’m not saying don’t stick with SUNY and meteorology, but do your best to keep your options open.   As you age once doors are closed they are usually closed forever.  

I don’t mean to sound pessimistic.  I was part of the generation where broadcast meteorology became stagnant and collapsed with the advent of the Internet and smartphones.  NWS more often than not had a hiring freeze and when there were openings it was often in a less than ideal place with a lot of competition. 

Best wishes. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Excited to relocate! I'll be heading up there next week to tour the campus. I won't move in until four months from now.

Congrats man, going to be a big change in winter weather for you lol Hopefully you bring us some luck..I live about 20 miles NE of Oswego.. Good luck with your move...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Congrats man, going to be a big change in winter weather for you lol Hopefully you bring us some luck..I live about 20 miles NE of Oswego.. Good luck with your move...

Other than moving to a windward alpine climate, this might be the biggest possible change in winter weather I could pick. But hey, I'm all about adventures.

I don't know about luck, but I can bring several dustings with me.

• Haha 1