Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

55 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

except for the 5x between 1870 and  1890 lol

Good morning Liberty. Unc’s statement is accurate in occurrence. Of all the 106 winters sampled 4.7% occurred in tge late 19th century, 3.8% and 1.9%  during the early and latter part of the 20th century. 89.6% of the time, no occurrence. The meager occurrence rate and the cluster of event years qualifies as rare for me. Was their any events affecting the climate during the cluster periods that could account for it?  As always

18 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning Liberty. Unc’s statement is accurate in occurrence. Of all the 106 winters sampled 4.7% occurred in tge late 19th century, 3.8% and 1.9%  during the early and latter part of the 20th century. 89.6% of the time, no occurrence. The meager occurrence rate and the cluster of event years qualifies as rare for me. Was their any events affecting the climate during the cluster periods that could account for it?  As always

thats why the 3 in a row during the 70s is so amazing and none of them were big snow winters either

Our friend George struck again. :lol: here’s his full post from the New England forum from 8 hours ago where he believes the following will occur (highly unlikely but I wanted to post it here for that exact reason):

“On the Canadian it appears after near record warmth this week, we have 3 miller b nor’easters from March 17th to March 20th. According to the upper level pattern the first 2 threats are unlikely to be big if anything. However it is the third low that catches my interest. Leading up to the storm there is a huge ridge out west which should allow for storms to amplify, slow down, and come up the coast. Since the flow is slow and buckled on the Canadian, the room for error when it comes to phasing of the northern and southern streams increases. Any storm that does develop will undergo rapid cyclogenesis and come up the coast as a massive slow moving ocean low. I strongly believe there will be a massive slow moving east coast storm but the big question is going to be precip type. At this point it will be late March so cold air won’t be as easy to come by. However, on the Canadian the polar vortex is not anywhere near the North Pole, it is displaced to the south and east. With the polar vortex sitting over east-central Canada as well as a highly amplified flow, the pattern favors northern stream energy diving into the Midwest, which would not only phase with the southern branch but it would also bring cold air in. It’s still far out and it is late March so there are factors working against us, but with the pattern in place there is the potential for a massive early spring blizzard in New England. If the threat does end up panning out, due to the gradient of warm March waters amplified by near record warmth clashing with cold air being funneled into the northeast via the polar vortex, that’s a recipe for a historically strong ocean low. 940s or 950s is not out of the question. However, the warm waters is a double edged sword, as it will be harder to overcome the warm ocean air, which will lead to rain in the coastal areas. In my opinion there will be ptype issues possibly as far west as Worcester with this type of setup. However, if the storm does reach this strength with a favorable track, it will likely be a start as rain and then as the low bombs out and the winds turn more north than north east, the rain snow line would crash right and all of eastern mass would flip over to heavy snow with blizzard conditions developing for 12+ hours due to the slow moving nature of the storm. The run didn’t go out that far, but in my opinion if you extrapolate the Canadian it would be a few hours of rain followed by a long duration blizzard with snowfall totals exceeding 3 feet in all of eastern Mass. I’m not forecasting that just yet, but this does fit the pattern so there is a higher than usual chance something like that will happen.”

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, rclab said:

Will your a trailblazer. The NYForum will be the first to have a warm season, weather related, scatological thread. As always ....

someone's gotta pick up the torch when all the snow weenies go into hibernation.  i'll be live streaming from the roof of my house during every Slight SPC day, looking for tornadoes a la Jeff Pietrowski

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

someone's gotta pick up the torch when all the snow weenies go into hibernation.  i'll be live streaming from the roof of my house during every Slight SPC day, looking for tornadoes a la Jeff Pietrowski

If you can get everyone in the hood to buy into a vegan day broccoli/chili festival the NWS would declare an enhanced risk for the entire area. What a ***tfest that would be. As always .......

22 hours ago, rclab said:

If you can get everyone in the hood to buy into a vegan day broccoli/chili festival the NWS would declare an enhanced risk for the entire area. What a ***tfest that would be. As always .......

i am not vegan but when i need to entertain them i make a good vegan chili.

• 2 large spanish onions
  • chopped garlic to taste--i use up to a full bulb
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 2 poblano peppers
  • 5 jalapeno peppers
  • 1 large can dark red kidney beans
  • 1 large can light red kidney beans
  • 1 can each of navy, pinto, black, small red, cannellini, and roman beans
  • 1 can of sweet corn
  • 3-4 cans whole peeled tomatoes, roughly 105 oz.
  • chili powder 1/3 cup, cayenne powder 2 tbsp, paprika 2 tbsp, cumin 1 tbsp, crushed red pepper 2 tbsp, salt to taste.  all seasonings to taste but those are my suggestions.

sautee, in olive oil, in order: onions, garlic, peppers.  core the bell peppers, personally i leave the poblanos and jalapenos and chop them whole, and throw in the seeds and the pith.  the pith is the white flesh inside the pepper holding the seeds and contains the vast amount of the spicy capsaicin.  throwing in the pith ensures the weakest member of the dinner party dies, thus making the pack stronger.

once everything is sauteed and a bit soft and there's lots of liquid, stir in spices one at a time.  then throw in the beans, corn, and then tomatoes w/juice ofc, and bring it back to a simmer for at least a few hours but ideally like 6+.  serve on basmati rice and/or with jalapeno cornbread.

that one gets rave reviews even amongst meat eaters, with meat, it's award-winning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else get a sort of seasonal confusion once in awhile, specifically this time of year?  Yesterday felt like an unseasonably mild late October day.  Same thing with the frost this morning, like there should be pumpkins out and November is around the corner.  Maybe its the similar sun angle, or maybe the level of humidity, I don't know.  

17 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Anyone else get a sort of seasonal confusion once in awhile, specifically this time of year?  Yesterday felt like an unseasonably mild late October day.  Same thing with the frost this morning, like there should be pumpkins out and November is around the corner.  Maybe its the similar sun angle, or maybe the level of humidity, I don't know.  

saw frost at 8 am and by 9 am the birds were out doing their dancing and mating ritual and nest building thing lol