Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

19 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Do you wish you were there right now?

Yes and no. Not having power and having an entire million person city essentially shut down for days ain't ideal either. 6.4" of snow is a nice event for me (I saw some areas of Austin had 7 or 8") but I've already had more than that in one event 3x this winter and have a good shot at #4 on Thu. There's no comprehension down there (south of Dallas) how to handle any kind of winter event much less anything like this. The utilities are in some real trouble over how things have been handled. To me I wonder how they handle the A/C constantly being on for months under 100+ degree heat but can't handle this. I know some wires must have been damaged from ice but a lot of what just fell in TX was snow. 

• Like 1

Witness that almost all the 'snow' in Houston after the sleet was actually frozen drizzle, which floats down like snow.  I watched.  Almost two days no power, but solid sleet pack kept my beer plenty cold.  Benefit of sleet over snow, pavement patches appeared late afternoon, but most suburban streets still white with what I, a former Massapequa resident, could imagine was packed snow.  1989, I did see snow on suburban streets in Dallas survive several days, I have never seen any frozen precip in Houston not gone inside 6 hours.  .05 to .10 inches freezing drizzle (3k and 12k NAM) before about 10 am tomorrow in Houston, Dallas snow ratios with marginal temps in dendritic growth zone look horrible, 5:1, maybe, but two Winter Storm Warnings just over 2 days apart in Texas 2 biggest cities?

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

do they get coastal storms more intense than ours?  I wonder why Tokyo doesn't get more snow lol

Hokkaido is considerably (about 500 miles) further north than is Tokyo, so it gets snow where Tokyo gets rain.

The liquid equivalents may even be in the same ballpark.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, etudiant said:

Hokkaido is considerably (about 500 miles) further north than is Tokyo, so it gets snow where Tokyo gets rain.

The liquid equivalents may even be in the same ballpark.

I remember seeing images from the north with snow looking like mountain ranges with cars driving in the "valleys"

I wonder what the highest annual average snowfall total is from a location at sea level?

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I remember seeing images from the north with snow looking like mountain ranges with cars driving in the "valleys"

I wonder what the highest annual average snowfall total is from a location at sea level?

Well, I've only been there in winter along the eastern coast, so can attest robust deep snow cover. But don't have any idea of seasonal averages.

• Like 1

If you claim that no models had snow at a specific location...and then someone posts more than one model showing snow at that location, your response should be “ok wow i guess i missed that”, not “yeah but they blew it in other places so that wont be right”. The discussion wasnt about whether any models were correct or incorrect, but about what they showed. Lets at least try to keep the conversations truthful and not go down the rabbit hole of fallacious arguments. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

ERCOT just said that Texas’s power grid was a mere MOMENTS AWAY FROM CATASTROPHIC FAILURE:

Sadly it is only after such catastrophes that we learn to set serious standards.

Shipping is safer because of the Titanic, buildings are safer because of the Triangle Shirt Waist fire, Texas had lots of warning that cold spells could be a problem,  but no one hit the mule over the head with a 2x4 to help it see reason. 

Imho this is just another lesson that will soon be forgotten.

3 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

ERCOT just said that Texas’s power grid was a mere MOMENTS AWAY FROM CATASTROPHIC FAILURE:

Months?  Should they even be allowed to have their own grid and not have to obey federal regulations?  We've had statewide outages across multiple states in the NE before and it never took more than 24 hours to get power back.  The latest was in the summer of 2004

3 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Agree entirely, but this is just stupid, not politics.

A f***g nuclear plant going off stream because the cooling water pumps were frozen??? Just brain dead greed imho.

I hid stuff, wasnt really referring to the initial posts, those were fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

proved my point lol

We were just discussing in the other thread how the strongest Arctic outbreaks have been focused in the Plains recently. Notice how the Plains are one of the few parts of the world that will see a drop in the average temperatures when the new 30 year normals come out. Also matches the warmer temperatures here this week relative to the 1989 and 1899 Arctic outbreaks.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bluewave said:

We were just discussing in the other thread how the strongest Arctic outbreaks have been focused in the Plains recently. Notice how the Plains are one of the few parts of the world that will see a drop in the averages when the new 30 year normals come out. Also matches the warmer temperatures here relative to the 1989 and 1899 Arctic outbreaks.

Chris is this also directly connected with how we're seeing bigger snowfalls now with arctic outbreaks and in general vs back then?

• Like 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Chris is this also directly connected with how we're seeing bigger snowfalls now with arctic outbreaks and in general vs back then?

Maybe that’s due to the recent Arctic outbreak occurring in a much warmer would with more available moisture for heavy snowfall.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Maybe that’s due to the recent Arctic outbreak occurring in a much warmer would with more available moisture for heavy snowfall.

Right and combining arctic air with warmer than normal waters can often have explosive results.

Note how the arctic air didn't make it into Florida, which many of those 80s arctic outbreaks did.  This shows the boundary was close to us, which is great for generating storminess here.

• Like 1