Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

what a difference one week makes-last sunday models showed 2 weeks of cold and snow....got about 3 inches last week and possibly nothing but rainstorms this week....

At least thursday's storm is looking pretty good right now. Hopefully it won't trend warmer as we get closer. A nice 6 inch snowstorm like EURO is showing would get NYC to about 40 inches for the season. That would be terrific.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

Just so you all know, 90% of our new posters are socks that sign up with untraceable IPs.  They are impossible to ban bc they just sign right back up with a new IP.   I feel like its only fair you all know this.  

Is it feasible to show the first sign in date for the posters?

That would perhaps allow us to filter the socks.

3 hours ago, Rjay said:

Just so you all know, 90% of our new posters are socks that sign up with untraceable IPs.  They are impossible to ban bc they just sign right back up with a new IP.   I feel like its only fair you all know this.  

why not block all untraceable IP until they give you credit card info to verify identity?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

what a difference one week makes-last sunday models showed 2 weeks of cold and snow....got about 3 inches last week and possibly nothing but rainstorms this week....

one thing I've always wondered about....was this a failing of the models or did something radically different happen to change the outcome?  Like some sort of unpredictable black swan event.

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

So far the coldest low and high temperature  in NYC this winter is 14°/25°. Houston has a chance to drop lower than that over the next few days.

HOUSTON METROPOLITAN AREA...
 HOUSTON
   Cloudy   Fzdrzl   Ptcldy   Fzrain   Mocldy   Sunny    Sunny
     /36    18/23    12/33    33/42    31/37    24/49    35/63
      /30    90/40    00/00    40/90    40/20    00/00    00/00
   0.19     0.33     0.00     1.03     0.11     0.00     0.00

cant even say it's because we're a coastal area because Houston is right near the gulf lol

• Like 1

one thing I've always wondered about....was this a failing of the models or did something radically different happen to change the outcome?  Like some sort of unpredictable black swan event.

My guess (completely unscientific) from watching the weather for 35+ years is that the models take a snapshot in time, and project that snapshot forward within a timeframe, but can’t yet fathom where items ok the board will completely and accurately be at certain intervals in the future. It’s that cone of uncertainty.

• Thanks 1

Feels like rain or drizzle, but my car is icing up.  Local Houston news reporting snow nearby, which makes little sense looking at 850 mb temps by SPC mesoanalysis 4C in NW Harris County.  Houston mailing address, but can't vote in elections, ~5 miles West of IAH airport.  (My wife for reference picture below)

18Z Euro, per KHOU weather, up to six inches at Hobby Airport (the original airport, the LaGuardia to JFK) South of downtown, more than DFW.  4F here Tuesday morning if verifies will be coldest temp here ever recorded.  I delivered the Daily News in Massapequa Winter 76-77, cold doesn't scare me, but will kill my citrus and will probably kill my palm trees.  Dead 30 foot palm trees probably cost money to remove.

HappyHappyJoyJoy.jpg

• Like 3

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN ANGELO TX
0749 AM CST MON FEB 15 2021

...RECORD ALL-TIME MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET AT ABILENE...

AN ALL-TIME RECORD SNOWFALL OF 14.8 INCHES WAS SET AT ABILENE 
YESTERDAY FEBRUARY 14TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 9.3 INCHES 
SET ON APRIL 5 1996.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

RECORD EVENT REPORT

SET ON APRIL 5 1996.

It can snow in April in Texas?!  Was that the same storm that dumped snow on us in April 1996?

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

RECORD EVENT REPORT

SET ON APRIL 5 1996.

wow shades of Feb 1899!  Lake effect and gulf effect snow!

My mind's in the gutter... j/k, thinking of how thankful I am for today's nice weather and a nice clearing and majority melting of my roof and gutters from the ice and snow. It's such a nice sound and feeling when you get those first hints of springlike warmth (50 degrees after the past few weeks - (with sun!) counts). 

Still have a bit to go, but it was nice to remember that spring will be here sometime. 

1 hour ago, North and West said:

My mind's in the gutter... j/k, thinking of how thankful I am for today's nice weather and a nice clearing and majority melting of my roof and gutters from the ice and snow. It's such a nice sound and feeling when you get those first hints of springlike warmth (50 degrees after the past few weeks - (with sun!) counts). 

Still have a bit to go, but it was nice to remember that spring will be here sometime. 

find a way to get rid of allergens and bugs and I'm fine with spring

• Like 2