Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

14 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

This week not producing is a big deal. Any winter with a goose egg in January isn’t a good winter buy any definition.

Fat lady is starting to warm up boys.

One warm outbreak in February and you can stick a fork in this winter...again.

So much for that very favorable January pattern. How can we be shut out of every storm ? Its amazing.

23 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

So much for that very favorable January pattern. How can we be shut out of every storm ? Its amazing.

5 years doesnt make a long term pattern, but I fear climate change has finally caught up to us. The gaps between snowfall, the gaps between cold air, the near constant plus 2...it is a killer for an area that had average highs in the upper 30s before this. Every event become a thread the needle scenario

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

5 years doesnt make a long term pattern, but I fear climate change has finally caught up to us. The gaps between snowfall, the gaps between cold air, the near constant plus 2...it is a killer for an area that had average highs in the upper 30s before this. Every event become a thread the needle scenario

People wanted blocking and look what's happening.  I will take my chances with front end stuff.

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

This week not producing is a big deal. Any winter with a goose egg in January isn’t a good winter buy any definition.

Fat lady is starting to warm up boys.

One warm outbreak in February and you can stick a fork in this winter...again.

The writing was on the wall about a week to 10 days ago when the models bailed on the big cold.    It's just not that cold.  Today is considered "cold" and it's around 35 for the high which is roughly average for this time of year....  North American snowcover is at an all time low and the Great Lakes are warm/ice free.   

21 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Hard to say for sure, but there's been other long term periods of relatively snowless winters.    Regardless, we are clearly into one as snowfalls the last 3-4 yrs have been few and far between.

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

People wanted blocking and look what's happening.  I will take my chances with front end stuff.

Blocking with polar/pacific air is useless.  As is too much blocking.   The upcoming pattern reminds me of 09-10 which is generally not good for NYC and points north.

12 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I got over 50 inches in that winter

Turd here.   Missed the 2/6 storm complelely, the 2/10 stoirm gave us 5-6 inches and the 2/25 storm was mainly rain-2-3 inches of slop at the end.  The only storm we did well in was the December storm.  We had about 25-30 inches-so not a total dud like further north, but wasn't great like NYC-DC

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Blocking with polar/pacific air is useless.  As is too much blocking.   The upcoming pattern reminds me of 09-10 which is generally not good for NYC and points north.

Definitely missed out on some storms but had 46” in February, 64.5” for that winter which was 22.3” above average.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Turd here.   Missed the 2/6 storm complelely, the 2/10 stoirm gave us 5-6 inches and the 2/25 storm was mainly rain-2-3 inches of slop at the end.  The only storm we did well in was the December storm.  We had about 25-30 inches-so not a total dud like further north, but wasn't great like NYC-DC

I see the hype machine is back running on all 8 cylinders for February 2nd and 3rd lol It’s maddening isn’t it? So far, we have had over 2 1/2 months of “great potential”, people have been hyping since mid November, what have we gotten in the NYC metro area? One storm (December 16th).....well over a month ago and the snow was long gone, melted, by Christmas Day. Nothing but moving the goal posts, moving the finish line forward and kicking the can down the road ever since then. This month was an unmitigated disaster. The very snowy and cold pattern is always just 8-10 days away. Now, February 2-3 is being hyped as another very snowy period....over 8 days away. Groundhog Day, hit the repeat button. I also see the twitterologists hyping a “major” SSW in late February. Even if it was to actually happen, what the hell good is it going to do at the end of February? There is a lag of weeks before its effects are felt on the troposphere....that would make it mid to late March before anything would even happen from it. By then, winter is over, done, stick a fork in it

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

I see the hype machine is back running on all 8 cylinders for February 2nd and 3rd lol It’s maddening isn’t it? So far, we have had over 2 1/2 months of “great potential”, people have been hyping since mid November, what have we gotten in the NYC metro area? One storm (December 16th).....well over a month ago and the snow was long gone, melted, by Christmas Day. Nothing but moving the goal posts, moving the finish line forward and kicking the can down the road ever since then. This month was an unmitigated disaster. The very snowy and cold pattern is always just 8-10 days away. Now, February 2-3 is being hyped as another very snowy period....over 8 days away. Groundhog Day, hit the repeat button. I also see the twitterologists hyping a “major” SSW in late February. Even if it was to actually happen, what the hell good is it going to do at the end of February? There is a lag of weeks before its effects are felt on the troposphere....that would make it mid to late March before anything would even happen from it. By then, winter is over, done, stick a fork in it

To be fair , no one saw this pattern being suppressed. 

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

tenor.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

I know it’s only late January but this is shaping up to being another snowless winter. This would make it 3 years in a row. Flashback of the 1980’s.

We had close to a foot in December. I'm already quadrupled my total from last year.