• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

People are expecting too much. Forecasts have many dimensions. Not all of them eventuate.

Here in Manhattan, we had a forecast of a potential Nor'easter for this time about 10 days ago, did not get the snow and precip, but a lovely sunny day with healthy north winds.

I'd call that a solid B forecast, the direction was good, the details less so, but we all know the devil is in the details.

Mt Rainier  LOL

This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 16. Wind chill values between -3 and -8. Windy, with a south southwest wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 18 by 5am. Wind chill values between -4 and -9. Windy, with a southwest wind 29 to 37 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 34 to 40 inches possible.
Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 20. Wind chill values between -5 and zero. Windy, with a southwest wind 36 to 40 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 26 to 32 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 5. Wind chill values between -8 and -18. Windy, with a west wind 33 to 38 mph increasing to 40 to 45 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

44 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Mt Rainier  LOL

This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 16. Wind chill values between -3 and -8. Windy, with a south southwest wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 18 by 5am. Wind chill values between -4 and -9. Windy, with a southwest wind 29 to 37 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 34 to 40 inches possible.
Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 20. Wind chill values between -5 and zero. Windy, with a southwest wind 36 to 40 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 26 to 32 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 5. Wind chill values between -8 and -18. Windy, with a west wind 33 to 38 mph increasing to 40 to 45 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.

brentrambooriginal.gif

11 hours ago, wishcast_hater said:

Like I have always said if we are below normal someone else is above normal. In the end there isn’t a normal if you ask me. 

Long Island used to get normal snowfall before the mid1990s. But since then, we switched to all or nothing mode. More frequent very high or very low snowfall winters. Fewer closer to the mid range.

https://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlySnowfall.htm

C9229B73-BA05-4636-B838-23F966C9F8F7.thumb.png.cd34c308111c9db8fc616fc42f64bf83.png

On 1/12/2021 at 7:47 PM, wishcast_hater said:

Like I have always said if we are below normal someone else is above normal. In the end there isn’t a normal if you ask me. 

Sea effect snowfall is increasing for the same reason that lake effect snows are on a rapid increase....because of warmer waters fueling more moisture to precipitate.

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

The difference is they have real altitude whereas we have a few hundred feet of relief. 

Good morning, L B/G L. Considering that the above sea level altitude of the postage stamp might equate to a bump in the road; I will definitely start stocking survival supplies when the five boroughs start to get buried by ocean effect snows. As always ....

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, rclab said:

Good morning, L B/G L. Considering that the above sea level altitude of the postage stamp might equate to a bump in the road; I will definitely start stocking survival supplies when the five boroughs start to get buried by ocean effect snows. As always ....

if you want to start increasing snowfall here just build an artificial lake N or NW of our area and relocate those pesky neighbors who live there. ;)

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

We finally have blocking and nothing to show for it. Unbelieveable.

Anthony, a serious question for you.   

would you rather have current conditions—blocking but suppression?

or

Storms at 38 degrees?

This winter has demonstrated or reminded us just how many things have to go right (or wrong) for it to snow near the coast.  The last 20 years have been unbelievable, rather anomalous, there is a reason our long term averages are around 30 inches of snow.

11 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

regression to the mean.  We've had a hell of a run, but the last few years show us that every year won't have 40-60 inches of snow here...

People are conditioned to believe that the winters from 2000-2016 are the norm around here....fact is, they are not. We got extremely lucky during that 16 year time period, truth is, those winters were an anomaly. I could not imagine this forum had it been around for the winters from 1979-1993. People would have lost their minds on here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

People are conditioned to believe that the winters from 2000-2016 are the norm around here....fact is, they are not. We got extremely lucky during that 16 year time period, truth is, those winters were an anomaly. I could not imagine this forum had it been around for the winters from 1979-1993. People would have lost their minds on here

Truth

11 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

if you want to start increasing snowfall here just build an artificial lake N or NW of our area and relocate those pesky neighbors who live there. ;)

I believe if it increased the frozen ratio the N/NW neighbors would be on board and end up owning fine, in land sea shore, home sites. As always ....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

Truth

But if it's all you know you get used to it.  Also 1979-1993 had a historic snow drought that had never happened before.  By the way climate change was integral in the 2002/03-2015/16 winter patterns too, if you look at how warming SST drive quickly intensifying storms.  We've seen an increase in big rainfall events as well as big snowfall events.

10 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

regression to the mean.  We've had a hell of a run, but the last few years show us that every year won't have 40-60 inches of snow here...

But statistics shows us that there is such a large variation there is no such thing as a "mean"  Average snowfall years are actually the rarest.  I'm actually hoping we are on the final downward spiral that gets the average person to finally recognize the dangers of climate change.  A sad commentary is that awful things (like the pandemic) need to happen to get the average person to actually care.    So if we dont get big snowfalls anymore, that may be a good thing in the long run. 

13 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

Anthony, a serious question for you.   

would you rather have current conditions—blocking but suppression?

or

Storms at 38 degrees?

This winter has demonstrated or reminded us just how many things have to go right (or wrong) for it to snow near the coast.  The last 20 years have been unbelievable, rather anomalous, there is a reason our long term averages are around 30 inches of snow.

I'd rather have 60s and sunny right now.