Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

54 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I didn't even know that could actually happen lol.  I'd settle for a nice lunar occultation of either Jupiter or Saturn or both in the same night ;-)

Do you have any numbers for when that might happen next?

I found the above info here, just kind of stumbled across it https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/planets/great-conjunction.  There may be more info there.. The whole topic is making me want to pickup astronomy/telescope hobby..

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The 2 BC occultation of Jupiter by Venus was probably the most impressive planetary rendezvous in recorded history. Jupiter+Saturn is a little meh.

that was an actual occultation?  I want to simulate it in Starry Night!  when is the next going to happen?

The cool thing about a Jupiter/Saturn occultation would be seeing the satellite systems of both (and Saturn's rings) "intermingle"

Just now, LibertyBell said:

that was an actual occultation?  I want to simulate it in Starry Night!  when is the next going to happen?

The cool thing about a Jupiter/Saturn occultation would be seeing the satellite systems of both (and Saturn's rings) "intermingle"

There's a Venus–Jupiter mutual occultation coming up relatively soon... 2060s I think? But it's only going to be a few degrees from the sun and so either invisible or extremely difficult to see. That said, backyard astronomers are already doing insane work amplifying faint data from daytime and twilight imagery, to speak nothing of where astrophotography is going to be in several more decades.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

There's a Venus–Jupiter mutual occultation coming up relatively soon... 2060s I think? But it's only going to be a few degrees from the sun and so either invisible or extremely difficult to see. That said, backyard astronomers are already doing insane work amplifying faint data from daytime and twilight imagery, to speak nothing of where astrophotography is going to be in several more decades.

Yep and even this Jupiter/Saturn conjunction happens every 20 years but we haven't seen the last few "great" ones because they happened during daylight.

9 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

2080 actually

or you can just look tonight they'll be almost as close as they were last night and it should be clear

Tried again this evening, one brief glimpse thanks to a break in the clouds, no time for a scope view, but they are already well apart.

Hoping for clearer skies later tonight.

9 hours ago, etudiant said:

Tried again this evening, one brief glimpse thanks to a break in the clouds, no time for a scope view, but they are already well apart.

Hoping for clearer skies later tonight.

did you get to see it later?  it was supposed to be clear tonight, no idea where these nonsense clouds came from, there isn't even a storm nearby

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

Does this reinforce the idea of not trusting some models past a certain number of days ?? even though the AO, NAO and PNA  were and still are favorable for winter weather around these parts next week BUT how about the EPO ? Can't seem to find anymore graphics to show the EPO since I heard the NWS took them away ??? Also some  in the weather community were so certain that the early next week system would not be able to cut because of the block setting up and would be forced to redevelop south of us . What contributed to the system  being able to cut and not redevelop ???? Or is this still a possibility at some point next week ???? 

I think you need a few more question marks!!!!!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

did you get to see it later?  it was supposed to be clear tonight, no idea where these nonsense clouds came from, there isn't even a storm nearby

Jupiter sets around 6.30-6.45 pm here, so when I came back at 7.00 pm, the sky was clear of both clouds and the conjunction.

Now pretty reconciled to a long wait, unless Elon sets up some low cost 'Astronomy in Space' tourism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, etudiant said:

Jupiter sets around 6.30-6.45 pm here, so when I came back at 7.00 pm, the sky was clear of both clouds and the conjunction.

Now pretty reconciled to a long wait, unless Elon sets up some low cost 'Astronomy in Space' tourism.

well the weekend should be a slam dunk lol

thats the good thing about arctic air masses....no clouds!

A promise:kept. The snow on the postage stamp held on until Christmas Eve. As I’ve said since losing my love; “It is better to be wrapped in red, green, silver and gold, than your own tears” it’s been three years and I still can’t follow my own advice. Happy Christmas and  new Year to all. As always  ... 

A88EB575-8BCD-46FE-89DB-CD52256544F1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Was reminiscing with my 20 year old nephew over the Boxing Day Blizzard. He said he feels spoiled whenever it snows now, as if nothing will ever compare to that snowstorm. I told him, “I know the feeling. I’ve been chasing that high since ‘96.”

I’ve been looking for 1994 in all the wrong places.

5 hours ago, Nibor said:

Was reminiscing with my 20 year old nephew over the Boxing Day Blizzard. He said he feels spoiled whenever it snows now, as if nothing will ever compare to that snowstorm. I told him, “I know the feeling. I’ve been chasing that high since ‘96.”

for me it's 2016 (but 95-96 and 02-03 too)