Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

5 hours ago, Nibor said:

I'm convinced anyone who says current music is bad is either too stubborn to step out of their comfort zone and listen to something new or just lazy and prefers being spoon fed classic rock.

Yep, probably still listening to FM too. Take your music app of choice but for me I’ve discovered a number of talented groups with very good lyric writing by simply letting Spotify do its thing. Some of these groups might have had some limited air play on Sirius but not in FM, not around here anyway. The talent is out there, no question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yep, probably still listening to FM too. Take your music app of choice but for me I’ve discovered a number of talented groups with very good lyric writing by simply letting Spotify do its thing. Some of these groups might have had some limited air play on Sirius but not in FM, not around here anyway. The talent is out there, no question. 

Thats a really good idea.  I'll try spotify.  I haven't listened to radio in years (not FM not AM nothing), I pretty much just youtube everything.  It's completely replaced radio for me.  I think the last time I listened to radio was about a decade ago.  I hate commercial crap.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

You mean like the sunday irish stuff on fordham radio? Blehhhh lol

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

You mean like the sunday irish stuff on fordham radio? Blehhhh lol

I thought of you this morning, as disturbing as that sounds, it’s time to give this classic another read:

http://web.archive.org/web/20010223220801/www.nationallampoon.com/flashbacks/xmas59/xmas59.html

10 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Kansas is one of the greatest of the supergroups.  I saw a lot of angry people on Twitter when Supernatural ended, I guess they wanted it to go on for a few more years.

I'm not sure what we're defining as super groups here but is there any argument the Traveling Wilburys were the greatest super group of all time?

George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynn and Roy Orbison (for one album at least until his death) all in the same group, and all best of friends on top of that. I don't think there's ever been a group as talented since, or ever will be.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I'm not sure what we're defining as super groups here but is there any argument the Traveling Wilburys were the greatest super group of all time?

George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynn and Roy Orbison (for one album at least until his death) all in the same group, and all best of friends on top of that. I don't think there's ever been a group as talented since, or ever will be.

22 minutes ago, Torch said:

Blind faith #2

You may have at least an argument there. I think the Wilburys still win out, but that could be argued either way IMO.

39 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Damn, that even beats the Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood super group.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Near Sunken Meadow.  Did you go to West?

Yes went to smithtown high school west graduated in 2008, my parents are still there and I work in smithtown. Moved to holbrook now in an apartment not sure where I’ll be when we buy a house. Smithtown too expensive 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, justinj said:

Yes went to smithtown high school west graduated in 2008, my parents are still there and I work in smithtown. Moved to holbrook now in an apartment not sure where I’ll be when we buy a house. Smithtown too expensive 

Yup, too expensive especially the taxes; I'm gonna miss this place one day.  Both of my kids went to West, the younger was 2017.

14 hours ago, tdp146 said:

Anyone catch the Saturn/Jupiter conjunction? Went down to a park on the water and got lucky for about 5 minutes when a hole opened in the clouds. Got double lucky when someone was there with an 8 inch Dobsonian. 

tonight you'll have a much better chance, it should be clear..by the way how long after sunset was it and how far above the horizon were they?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the 'great conjunction', when Jupiter will pass directly in front of Saturn.  That will occur next on February 16, 7541 (seriously.)  I'm hoping that if I diet and exercise I can be around to see it happen.  By the way, if you're busy that day or if it is cloudy (does Accuweather's long range go out this far?), it happens again later that year on June 17th, 7541.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Personally, I'm looking forward to the 'great conjunction', when Jupiter will pass directly in front of Saturn.  That will occur next on February 16, 7541 (seriously.)  I'm hoping that if I diet and exercise I can be around to see it happen.  By the way, if you're busy that day or if it is cloudy (does Accuweather's long range go out this far?), it happens again later that year on June 17th, 7541.

I didn't even know that could actually happen lol.  I'd settle for a nice lunar occultation of either Jupiter or Saturn or both in the same night ;-)

Do you have any numbers for when that might happen next?

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

tonight you'll have a much better chance, it should be clear..by the way how long after sunset was it and how far above the horizon were they?

I went down at 5pm and got a break in the clouds at 5:30. It’s about 15 degrees above the horizon to the SW. 

A simple way to judge degrees is to extend your arm and put the bottom of you hand (your pinky) on the horizon. The top of you hand is about 10 degrees. So look up about hand and a half to the SW and you’ll see it. 

• Like 2