Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

He also completely ignored the fact that so many of our youth gravitate towards older music.  The Beatles are still considered the greatest rock band of all time.  Find me a young group today that is anywhere near how great they were or Led Zeppelin or Queen for that matter.  This isn't just an "opinion" it's a measurable matter of fact.

Ya mean that Post Malone, the Weeknd, and Dababy arent as talented and influential as the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Queen? Go figure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

He also completely ignored the fact that so many of our youth gravitate towards older music.  The Beatles are still considered the greatest rock band of all time.  Find me a young group today that is anywhere near how great they were or Led Zeppelin or Queen for that matter.  This isn't just an "opinion" it's a measurable matter of fact.

A section of the youth population enjoying older music doesn't invalidate current music. Acting like your music is better and that everyone who listens to current music is somehow "unhealthy" is laughably elitist. 

My suggestion, as someone who listens to large variety of music including the artists you listen to, is to have an open mind and not act like a gatekeeper.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nibor said:

A section of the youth population enjoying older music doesn't invalidate current music. Acting like your music is better and that everyone who listens to current music is somehow "unhealthy" is laughably elitist. 

My suggestion, as someone who listens to large variety of music including the artists you listen to, is to have an open mind and not act like a gatekeeper.

It's not "my music" though,  I wasn't even born yet when most of the groups I referenced were in their heyday.  As a person who believes in the complexity of the English language and classical writing and poetry, I naturally gravitate towards those who are the most literate and write the best.  Writing is something that can be judged objectively.  That may not be the best by everyone's standards but I have a specific objective definition of what I like and it's the type of writing that matches classical writing and poetry.

I wasn't even around in the 60s but I defer to the experts on this:

https://gulfnews.com/entertainment/music/rap-rock-and-all-that-jazz-which-decade-had-the-best-music-1.1564376108517#:~:text=The 60s,was in its purest forms.

*this is obviously somewhat subjective based on what kind of music one is exposed to, but there has to be some objective metric in terms of music's influence on society.

The 60s

Hardcore music lovers will argue that the 60s were the best decade in musical history. It was in the early 60s when rock music was in its purest forms. As the decade neared its end, the pure rock was muddled with psychedelic rock, blues-rock, and folk rock, which had grown in popularity as the decade progressed.

John Lennon was once quoted saying “The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn't the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility.” The music industry really started to properly form, at that time. There was less segregation determining who could sing what. The sixties was a time of excitement in the music scene. The lyrics started becoming more experimental and expressive. Songs were more thought provoking, and tackled social issues, rather than just asking how much a doggie in the window was. And artists like The Beatles helped many see through the tough times.

another nod to the 60s

https://www.nme.com/news/music/this-is-the-best-decade-for-pop-music-according-to-science-2467655

https://www.smoothradio.com/news/music/best-decade-pop-music/

These are all quoting this study

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0210066

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Ya mean that Post Malone, the Weeknd, and Dababy arent as talented and influential as the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Queen? Go figure. 

and we didn't even mention Bob Dylan, perhaps the most prolific songwriter in modern history....didn't he sell the rights to his music recently for a huge sum of money?

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I wasn't even around in the 60s but I defer to the experts on this:

https://gulfnews.com/entertainment/music/rap-rock-and-all-that-jazz-which-decade-had-the-best-music-1.1564376108517#:~:text=The 60s,was in its purest forms.

*this is obviously somewhat subjective based on what kind of music one is exposed to, but there has to be some objective metric in terms of music's influence on society.

The 60s

Hardcore music lovers will argue that the 60s were the best decade in musical history. It was in the early 60s when rock music was in its purest forms. As the decade neared its end, the pure rock was muddled with psychedelic rock, blues-rock, and folk rock, which had grown in popularity as the decade progressed.

John Lennon was once quoted saying “The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn't the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility.” The music industry really started to properly form, at that time. There was less segregation determining who could sing what. The sixties was a time of excitement in the music scene. The lyrics started becoming more experimental and expressive. Songs were more thought provoking, and tackled social issues, rather than just asking how much a doggie in the window was. And artists like The Beatles helped many see through the tough times.

another nod to the 60s

https://www.nme.com/news/music/this-is-the-best-decade-for-pop-music-according-to-science-2467655

I never said music from the 60s wasn't influential. Yes Bob Dylan is great. Your assertion that music made now is bad is narrow minded.

8 minutes ago, Torch said:

Could this bean old fashioned winter? So far so good.

Last few days have been great.   If the Christmas Eve system had somehow been a snowstorm this probably would have been the best runup to the holidays for winter weather enthusiasts in a very long time.  At least there is some promise going forward.

Is there a problem with my connection or is the new NWS Radar landing page an abomination?  Difficult to see, difficult to select/configure, and  great big gobs of latency.  By the time it updates, the storm is over.

For those of you already with your fingers on the keyboard about to respond 'I never use that you should use such and such', save it.  The question is about the NWS radar landing page.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Is there a problem with my connection or is the new NWS Radar landing page an abomination?  Difficult to see, difficult to select/configure, and  great big gobs of latency.  By the time it updates, the storm is over.

For those of you already with your fingers on the keyboard about to respond 'I never use that you should use such and such', save it.  The question is about the NWS radar landing page.

I’ve had same problem.  Site is really slow and not as user friendly as the one it replaced.   

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

14 hours ago, Kborne said:

I have three sons.  They know the words to all my fav 80's songs...Their friends come over...they like those songs too..  it surprised me to hear them say today's music sucks. 

13 hours ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Your kids are smart. I grew up with The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Stones, the Who, Peter Frampton, Van Halen, etc... Todays music just doesn't compare. 

Hello! From the Mid/Atl thread but I lurk up here occasionally! (transferred the quotes hear so as not to take the other thread off topic). 

But as a musician who regularly rants about how terrible today's music is, I couldn't help but chime in and agree here. I am also stoked to hear your kids are enjoying music from other decades...and I'm actually encouraged that they came to a similar conclusion about the quality (or lack thereof) of today's music! And I believe that's evidence that this generation CAN appreciate better music if given the chance. I often wonder if it's a matter of exposure (or again, lack therof)...You may not realize you're getting fed musical slop from a lot of "current" music if you don't have anything better to compare it to! And for the record industry...if people keep buying up the slop, is there real motivation to change? Ya gotta wonder...

And even worse is seeing some artists who were popular even 20 years ago start watering down their music to fit the "current" sound (and in this case current too often becomes musically mediocre). I could go on, but...just thought I'd add my two cents!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hello! From the Mid/Atl thread but I lurk up here occasionally! (transferred the quotes hear so as not to take the other thread off topic). 

But as a musician who regularly rants about how terrible today's music is, I couldn't help but chime in and agree here. I am also stoked to hear your kids are enjoying music from other decades...and I'm actually encouraged that they came to a similar conclusion about the quality (or lack thereof) of today's music! And I believe that's evidence that this generation CAN appreciate better music if given the chance. I often wonder if it's a matter of exposure (or again, lack therof)...You may not realize you're getting fed musical slop from a lot of "current" music if you don't have anything better to compare it to! And for the record industry...if people keep buying up the slop, is there real motivation to change? Ya gotta wonder...

And even worse is seeing some artists who were popular even 20 years ago start watering down their music to fit the "current" sound (and in this case current too often becomes musically mediocre). I could go on, but...just thought I'd add my two cents!

Agreed. A lot of it has to do with just not hearing music from 60's/70's/80's. If you are just fed today's "music" that's basically all you know. I have seen that younger people who have listened to music from the past actually appreciate it. I find it funny how many kids really like "immigrant song" from Zeppelin because of Thor and "wayward son" from Kansas because of Supernatural. The latest "dreams" video on tiktok that went viral is another example. There is hope. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

this is much better than the low IQ BS that passes for "songs" these days.

17 hours ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Because todays music sucks. 

16 hours ago, Kborne said:

I have three sons.  They know the words to all my fav 80's songs...Their friends come over...they like those songs too..  it surprised me to hear them say today's music sucks. 

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

ok boomers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"Today's music" doesn't even have any meaning. It's gibberish. Jeff Lynne/ELO released in the year 2015 what I'd argue is their best album ever. Is that real music because a 70s band created it, or today's "low IQ BS"? Paul Simon released one of his best-selling and highest-charting records in 2016. McCartney, Dylan, Neil Young... they're all actively creating music that charts and permeates the popular culture. Just say "I don't like rap" and be done with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

"Today's music" doesn't even have any meaning. It's gibberish. Jeff Lynne/ELO released in the year 2015 what I'd argue is their best album ever. Is that real music because a 70s band created it, or today's "low IQ BS"? Paul Simon released one of his best-selling and highest-charting records in 2016. McCartney, Dylan, Neil Young... they're all actively creating music that charts and permeates the popular culture. Just say "I don't like rap" and be done with it.

It's more about todays artists. You just mentioned talented and influential artists like Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Neil Young. Lets not compare Post Malone, Dababy, and The Weeknd with that extremely talented group. Oh and I don't like rap. Lets see if in 10 years anybody remembers the latter group let alone 50. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Ya can't simplify this with "I don't like rap" (which btw is also suffering from the mediocrity bug. It was better even 15 years ago, lol). This is more general "pop music" If you want more specific terminology...okay: the newer artists, current artists, (as well as older ones who have sold out and watered down their music to sound more "current"), the more popular "sound" being produced...that's what we're talking about.

• Like 1

I see that this @#$% storm hitting on Christmas eve is going to bring with it temps in the #@$#% upper 50s/low 60s.  What a surprise.  This will be only the 10th straight year that the NYC area will hit least the upper 50s in the week before Christmas.  Heck, in most of this timeframe the high for the week was in the 60s, even 70s in at least one of the years.   

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I took advantage of the snow for a little skiing in the neighborhood.  Even got a little downhill section in yesterday:

Is this the woods near smithtown high school/kings park high school? Grew up. In that area. Loved  it

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ya can't simplify this with "I don't like rap" (which btw is also suffering from the mediocrity bug. It was better even 15 years ago, lol). This is more general "pop music" If you want more specific terminology...okay: the newer artists, current artists, (as well as older ones who have sold out and watered down their music to sound more "current"), the more popular "sound" being produced...that's what we're talking about.

But then that's just "I don't like crappy music," and crappy music is hardly a new thing. There's a reason you'll hear the same mega-hit two or three times on a 60s channel in one day trip... the best of the best lives on and the 95% of material in the just-okay to really bad spectrum gets filtered out with the sands of time. Labels telling artists they need to appeal more to the masses also goes back pretty much to the beginning.

I'd argue that artists collectively have more freedom than ever to do their own thing without corporate pressures. They aren't beholden to the interests of terrestrial radio listeners anymore. The Jason Isbells, Phoebe Bridgerses, and Taylor Swifts of the world are objectively producing really imaginative material dripping with talent, even if it's not to one's taste – but with so many venues for independent discovery, there is, invariably, something to everyone's taste being released every day, if they're inclined to look. I mean, shoot. Bluegrass is probably having its hottest moment right now since Flatt & Scruggs got on the scene.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

How can you possibly say that when there are artists like Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Denzel Curry, Danny Brown... this is ridiculous. 

I'm convinced anyone who says current music is bad is either too stubborn to step out of their comfort zone and listen to something new or just lazy and prefers being spoon fed classic rock.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

How can you possibly say that when there are artists like Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Denzel Curry, Danny Brown... this is ridiculous. 

I'm convinced anyone who says current music is bad is either too stubborn to step out of their comfort zone and listen to something new or just lazy and prefers being spoon fed classic rock.

there were medical studies done showing how classical music improves cognition and learning.

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

this is just more proof of consumerism lol..... best selling doesn't mean better.  Paul Simon wrote some amazing songs, so I'd argue that he's an artist from the classic rock era and so doesn't fit into this discussion.

Actually when I mean "bad music" I'm referring to the likes of country music, Katy Perry, etc.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

But then that's just "I don't like crappy music," and crappy music is hardly a new thing. There's a reason you'll hear the same mega-hit two or three times on a 60s channel in one day trip... the best of the best lives on and the 95% of material in the just-okay to really bad spectrum gets filtered out with the sands of time. Labels telling artists they need to appeal more to the masses also goes back pretty much to the beginning.

I'd argue that artists collectively have more freedom than ever to do their own thing without corporate pressures. They aren't beholden to the interests of terrestrial radio listeners anymore. The Jason Isbells, Phoebe Bridgerses, and Taylor Swifts of the world are objectively producing really imaginative material dripping with talent, even if it's not to one's taste – but with so many venues for independent discovery, there is, invariably, something to everyone's taste being released every day, if they're inclined to look. I mean, shoot. Bluegrass is probably having its hottest moment right now since Flatt & Scruggs got on the scene.

if we can do away with RIAA and MPAA then I'm a happy man.  They take most of the profits.  Sony getting hacked a few years ago was the best thing that could've happened, people learned how awful they are (I always knew.)

12 hours ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

Agreed. A lot of it has to do with just not hearing music from 60's/70's/80's. If you are just fed today's "music" that's basically all you know. I have seen that younger people who have listened to music from the past actually appreciate it. I find it funny how many kids really like "immigrant song" from Zeppelin because of Thor and "wayward son" from Kansas because of Supernatural. The latest "dreams" video on tiktok that went viral is another example. There is hope. 

Kansas is one of the greatest of the supergroups.  I saw a lot of angry people on Twitter when Supernatural ended, I guess they wanted it to go on for a few more years.

12 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Thanks for your input!  I consider you an expert!  I think it was the variety of the music back then that made it the "golden age".  People were more willing to take chances and let music tell a story, like an old epic poem.  Attention spans today are lacking, everything gets melted down into a "sound bite" and rank commercialism is to blame.