Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

3 minutes ago, Chet-NYC said:

I come to this site whenever there is the potential for a large storm to hit NYC, usually snow events.  I love that I can see here maps and predictions that aren't on the regular commercial weather sites or on television.   However, there one thing that bothers me about many of the posts- the cheering on and wish for bigger, heavier, more damaging storms and snow totals.

Sure, I understand the amazement of a large snow storm.  I used to feel the same way.  Then came January 1996 and the morning I woke up to a 40" snow drift that forced me to climb out a window because my front door was blocked.  It took two days to clear snow from my car.  It took weeks for the National Guard and NYC Sanitation to get the mountains of snow here on Staten Island out of the way.   While under 20" fell in Central Park,  on Staten Island, about 15 -16 miles south, we were in that small band where about 30" fell.    There were parking lots that still had small snow mountains in May that year. 

From that day on, I have despised snow.

This week, if a foot or so of snow falls, please look at the down side.

It is going to cost NYC a fortune in overtime to clear the streets.  Considering the budgetary catastrophe that COVID has brought the city, this is just pouring salt into that wound.

For hundreds of small (and large) developments, snow removal is almost always the single biggest expense they incur in a year.  I live in a group of 24 small townhomes.  Our homeowner's dues raise $43,200 a year. Clearing a foot of snow from our two parking lots and the sidewalks will cost about 20% of that total.  

For many people who still need to go to work in person, storms like this are a massive inconvenience as they disrupt public transportation and often make driving impossible.

So, when you sit here and cheer for more snow and you whine when the storm doesn't deliver a record amount, remember, there are a lot of us who a really hoping that the storm moves in a way that it becomes a rain event, or leaves just a few inches on the ground, easy to clear and move on.  

If you love giant snow storms that much, move to where they are common.  Move to upstate New York where the lake effect will make you happy all winter long. 

insta ban

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chet-NYC said:

I come to this site whenever there is the potential for a large storm to hit NYC, usually snow events.  I love that I can see here maps and predictions that aren't on the regular commercial weather sites or on television.   However, there one thing that bothers me about many of the posts- the cheering on and wish for bigger, heavier, more damaging storms and snow totals.

Sure, I understand the amazement of a large snow storm.  I used to feel the same way.  Then came January 1996 and the morning I woke up to a 40" snow drift that forced me to climb out a window because my front door was blocked.  It took two days to clear snow from my car.  It took weeks for the National Guard and NYC Sanitation to get the mountains of snow here on Staten Island out of the way.   While under 20" fell in Central Park,  on Staten Island, about 15 -16 miles south, we were in that small band where about 30" fell.    There were parking lots that still had small snow mountains in May that year. 

It is going to cost NYC a fortune in overtime to clear the streets.  Considering the budgetary catastrophe that COVID has brought the city, this is just pouring salt into that wound.

For hundreds of small (and large) developments, snow removal is almost always the single biggest expense they incur in a year.  I live in a group of 24 small townhomes.  Our homeowner's dues raise $43,200 a year. Clearing a foot of snow from our two parking lots and the sidewalks will cost about 20% of that total.  

For many people who still need to go to work in person, storms like this are a massive inconvenience as they disrupt public transportation and often make driving impossible.

So, when you sit here and cheer for more snow and you whine when the storm doesn't deliver a record amount, remember, there are a lot of us who a really hoping that the storm moves in a way that it becomes a rain event, or leaves just a few inches on the ground, easy to clear and move on.  

If you love giant snow storms that much, move to where they are common.  Move to upstate New York where the lake effect will make you happy all winter long. 

you know we can't actually change the weather right

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chet-NYC said:

People who post on here more or less LOVE interesting weather. Don’t go to a weather forum if you don’t want to see people hope for interesting weather

If you don’t like snow so much, move to Florida where it never snows. It will make you happy all winter long

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Not trying to ruffle any feathers or anything. Even if Philly was as busy as the others I’d still stay in this sub forum lol, I’d just be the southernmost member.

Lmao.

You're fine.  We tried this a few years ago and the Philly members were against it.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Weird post dude.  Know your audience....(also this belongs in banter not a storm thread)

Bear in mind that the last 2 winters or so are the anomaly, as is 96. A normal winter should have some snow events around here, decent ones at that, and when they aren't happening it is odd ( though perhaps to be expected in changing climate patterns ). So, I would say, if you despise snow, there are plenty of places that aren't too hot that also don't snow much; TN, NC, upper GA, even KY and southern IN. I like a good snow, but don't want to move to ME where it snows a lot. And in a winter with such a serious pandemic, I'm not big on a bad winter with a lot snow either. But we can enjoy one after almost 3 years of nothing, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Adding to this...i often wonder if some of you realize that your old posts dont just go away...

As a recently retired mental health professional, I would say that many people need professional help these days, and that is not a put down. More people should take advantage of the help that is out there. 

2 hours ago, Cfa said:

I never understood why the NYC and Philly sub forums were separate, the Philly sub forum so dead. If I end up in Central/South Jersey I’ll still be posting here.

I would never accept that, unless we in the N&W/N&E sub forum were allowed to then conquer and annex the southern New England Forum into the NYC forum.

We must keep a balance, there's already to many south of I78ers here., and I don't like their climate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Yes, i wasn't even paying attention. I just bought two snowblowers and they were a steal. Since I ordered them they are flying off the stockroom floor....

Business opportunity!!

You were smart and early, time to cash in is now.

2 hours ago, etudiant said:

Business opportunity!!

You were smart and early, time to cash in is now.

The store I bough them from is cleaned out, even though it is in S Jersey and no real accumulation expected there ( but I suspect a lot of people up north, like we did, took the hour drive to pick them up ). If I were enterprising ( which I'm not ) I could get some serious cash selling these off even at a substantial discount ( I paid 299 for one machine that retailed for 1100, and 149 for another that retailed for 950...liquidation sale ). Admittedly, one of them hasn't been able to start ( I suspect old gas, as there is a varnish smell; the story was that floor models come with some gas for testing; we'll see, final sale but warranty still effective; but they gave me the wrong machine, what a screw up; the one I ordered for that price was a smaller single stage; my wife picked them up and even argued with them that it was the wrong one, they insisted the bigger machine was the right one and that the picture on the receipt was wrong! ) Now they said ok well we'll just change the paperwork so you can prove purchase. Didn't even ask for the price difference. No wonder ( big retailer ) is going under....it's like they already took the loss and don't give a crap.

6" or greater snowstorms in NYC in December...

amount...dates......

26.4" 12/26-27/1947

20.0" 12/26-27/2010

18.0" 12/26/1872

16.0" 12/19-20/1948

15.2" 12/11-12/1960

14.0" 12/5-7/2003

13.7" 12/21-22/1959

12.7" 12/15/1916

12.0" 12/30/2000

11.4" 12/24/1912

11.2" 12/26/1933

10.9" 12/19-20/2009

9.1" 12/13-14/1917

8.3" 12/19-20/1945

8.1" 12/5/1886

8.0" 12/3-4/1957

8.0" 12/25-26/1909

7.9" 12/5/1926

7.7" 12/19-20/1995

7.5" 12/23-24/1883

7.2" 12/27-28/1990

7.1" 12/24-25/1966

7.0" 12/26/1890

7.0" 12/15-16/1896

7.0" 12/12-13/1904

7.0" 12/3-4/1911

6.8" 12/25-27/1969

6.6" 12/23-24/1963

6.5" 12/25/1902

6.2" 12/12-14/1902

6.2" 12/23-24/1961

6.0" 12/27-28/1873

6.0" 12/22-23/1896

6.0" 12/17-18/1904

6.0" 12/5/2002

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:

a 1004 mb low will rain down fire and Ice while pigs fly because it is armageddon and the music is playing (the best of Tommy E) as the ship sinks. ANDDDD the mashed potato sundae is our last meal. 

See. Got it.

Lol. Maybe you do get him and I just don't haha 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mulen said:

Tough forecast haven’t been here for a while living in s. Florida now the one overlooked fly in the ointment is sst temp and how far the low is off the coast .watch buoy readings it’s fun and could give a good indicator on the coast for mixing issues .

Mulen!  Good to see ya