• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

"New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked Secaucus as its 182nd best place to live in its 2010 rankings of the "Best Places To Live" in New Jersey, after ranking the borough 11th in its 2008 rankings.["

what do you guys think happened in those two years

why isn't the media talking about this

• Haha 2

Just now, Will - Rutgers said:

"New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked Secaucus as its 182nd best place to live in its 2010 rankings of the "Best Places To Live" in New Jersey, after ranking the borough 11th in its 2008 rankings.["

what do you guys think happened in those two years

why isn't the media talking about this

Riding a NJ Transit train out of Penn a few years ago we pulled up to the Secaucus Junction station. The conductor got on the PA and announced, "Now arriving Secaucus, this is Secaucus junction. It's in the middle of nowhere, but it'll take you anywhere." Always felt like that was some sort of real life materialization of an unwritten Bruce song.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

Riding a NJ Transit train out of Penn a few years ago we pulled up to the Secaucus Junction station. The conductor got on the PA and announced, "Now arriving Secaucus, this is Secaucus junction. It's in the middle of nowhere, but it'll take you anywhere." Always felt like that was some sort of real life materialization of an unwritten Bruce song.

The train station is the best part of secaucus

• Haha 1

The Eastern days..

Rossi

Yea you Forkey

Tim allsnow

Anthony the cop

John earthlight

Tombo the PBP king...

Mulin, livin good in Florida I hope..lol

Snowgoose

Bluewave

Uncle W

Neg Nao

Chris L. The Blizzard king

There's quite a few others... been watching eachother for over 20 years...lmao

Who was the one that always posted the RGEM ? Lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

watching people react to weenie model runs is like watching children shake their wrapped gifts on Christmas and excitedly trying to figure out what's inside

and then Christmas comes and the box is empty and you can drink their sorrows.  oh jeez mom 35F and cold rain again?

I felt the same way, Will. Actually it was after I heard one of forky’s motivational presentations. As always .....

• Haha 1

So, the ICON is not really to be taken seriously around here I assume?  Does it exist because it is fairly good at predicting weather in say Europe and not so much in North America?  If so, what specifically does it fail to pick up on within our region?  I suppose there is a better forum for these questions, but I'm just thinking out loud here (and drinking!).

this week reminds me of the week of Dec 20th-25th 1966...on the 20th there was some wet snow and rain which ended as an inch of snow on the 21st...A snowstorm on the 24th-25th put down 7"...when going into this winter I thought it was toast without a negative ao and nao at times similar to the 1973-74 winter...I'm hoping this period of negative ao lasts the rest of the month..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uncle W said:

this week reminds me of the week of Dec 20th-25th 1966...on the 20th there was some wet snow and rain which ended as an inch of snow on the 21st...A snowstorm on the 24th-25th put down 7"...when going into this winter I thought it was toast without a negative ao and nao at times similar to the 1973-74 winter...I'm hoping this period of negative ao lasts the rest of the month..

seems like both 1966-67 and 2010-11

I come to this site whenever there is the potential for a large storm to hit NYC, usually snow events.  I love that I can see here maps and predictions that aren't on the regular commercial weather sites or on television.   However, there one thing that bothers me about many of the posts- the cheering on and wish for bigger, heavier, more damaging storms and snow totals.

Sure, I understand the amazement of a large snow storm.  I used to feel the same way.  Then came January 1996 and the morning I woke up to a 40" snow drift that forced me to climb out a window because my front door was blocked.  It took two days to clear snow from my car.  It took weeks for the National Guard and NYC Sanitation to get the mountains of snow here on Staten Island out of the way.   While under 20" fell in Central Park,  on Staten Island, about 15 -16 miles south, we were in that small band where about 30" fell.    There were parking lots that still had small snow mountains in May that year. 

From that day on, I have despised snow.

This week, if a foot or so of snow falls, please look at the down side.

It is going to cost NYC a fortune in overtime to clear the streets.  Considering the budgetary catastrophe that COVID has brought the city, this is just pouring salt into that wound.

For hundreds of small (and large) developments, snow removal is almost always the single biggest expense they incur in a year.  I live in a group of 24 small townhomes.  Our homeowner's dues raise $43,200 a year. Clearing a foot of snow from our two parking lots and the sidewalks will cost about 20% of that total.  

For many people who still need to go to work in person, storms like this are a massive inconvenience as they disrupt public transportation and often make driving impossible.

So, when you sit here and cheer for more snow and you whine when the storm doesn't deliver a record amount, remember, there are a lot of us who a really hoping that the storm moves in a way that it becomes a rain event, or leaves just a few inches on the ground, easy to clear and move on.  

If you love giant snow storms that much, move to where they are common.  Move to upstate New York where the lake effect will make you happy all winter long. 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Chet-NYC said:

I come to this site whenever there is the potential for a large storm to hit NYC, usually snow events.  I love that I can see here maps and predictions that aren't on the regular commercial weather sites or on television.   However, there one thing that bothers me about many of the posts- the cheering on and wish for bigger, heavier, more damaging storms and snow totals.

Sure, I understand the amazement of a large snow storm.  I used to feel the same way.  Then came January 1996 and the morning I woke up to a 40" snow drift that forced me to climb out a window because my front door was blocked.  It took two days to clear snow from my car.  It took weeks for the National Guard and NYC Sanitation to get the mountains of snow here on Staten Island out of the way.   While under 20" fell in Central Park,  on Staten Island, about 15 -16 miles south, we were in that small band where about 30" fell.    There were parking lots that still had small snow mountains in May that year. 

It is going to cost NYC a fortune in overtime to clear the streets.  Considering the budgetary catastrophe that COVID has brought the city, this is just pouring salt into that wound.

For hundreds of small (and large) developments, snow removal is almost always the single biggest expense they incur in a year.  I live in a group of 24 small townhomes.  Our homeowner's dues raise $43,200 a year. Clearing a foot of snow from our two parking lots and the sidewalks will cost about 20% of that total.  

For many people who still need to go to work in person, storms like this are a massive inconvenience as they disrupt public transportation and often make driving impossible.

So, when you sit here and cheer for more snow and you whine when the storm doesn't deliver a record amount, remember, there are a lot of us who a really hoping that the storm moves in a way that it becomes a rain event, or leaves just a few inches on the ground, easy to clear and move on.  

If you love giant snow storms that much, move to where they are common.  Move to upstate New York where the lake effect will make you happy all winter long. 

Weird post dude.  Know your audience....(also this belongs in banter not a storm thread)

2 minutes ago, Chet-NYC said:

3eql.gif

• Haha 1