• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I can actually see what the 3km has for a rime factor (which is incorporated into its snowfall) in AWIPS. So in general it can be more realistic than your traditional 10:1 or Kuchera maps because it's trying to model microphysics.

The reason lift below the DGZ is not great as Will is pointing out here is because lift from below is likely driving supercooled water into the DGZ. If there is supercooled water hanging around you'll rime your snowflakes and kill your ratios. If lift is smack in the middle of the DGZ you can produce pure dendrites and don't have to worry about riming as much on the way down.

I almost wonder ... 

Sometimes in thunder-snow ... you get these 'pingers' that aren't really clear like sleet, but are mangle aggregated refrozen thumpers along side of the "normal" aggregates. - Its something I routinely noticed when amid the fall column out of a snowing thunderstorm - 

I'm wondering if it's similar to what you are describing...  to being 'in the top half of a CB cloud' ... interesting -  like aggregates are getting UVM blasted and caked into clusters - hail seeds if you will... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I almost wonder ... 

Sometimes in thunder-snow ... you get these 'pingers' that aren't really clear like sleet, but are mangle aggregated refrozen thumpers along side of the "normal" aggregates. - Its something I routinely noticed when the near the fall column out of a thunderstorm - 

I'm wondering if it's similar to being 'in the top half of a CB cloud' ... interesting -  like aggregates are getting UVM blasted and caked in to clusters - hail seeds if you will... 

In convection is most likely riming that is producing that, but in certain events actual sleet has been observed. OKX did in Feb 2013.

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I almost wonder ... 

Sometimes in thunder-snow ... you get these 'pingers' that aren't really clear like sleet, but are mangle aggregated refrozen thumpers along side of the "normal" aggregates. - Its something I routinely noticed when amid the fall column out of a snowing thunderstorm - 

I'm wondering if it's similar to what you are describing...  to being 'in the top half of a CB cloud' ... interesting -  like aggregates are getting UVM blasted and caked into clusters - hail seeds if you will... 

I think it’s called “graupel”? We got it all the time in Reno, NV and yes it’s quite an origraphic/vertical motion and lapse rate kinda deal

16 minutes ago, correnjim1 said:

everyone is having fun but me lol

If you live in Boston I think you end up fine in the end, not as good as inland MA obviously but a few good hours as the storm leaves and you get 5-6”, which can happen easy if there’s a good CCB band. Could be worse, there’s zero hope where I live. Nothing but growing puddles and cold wind. 

14 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I think it’s called “graupel”? We got it all the time in Reno, NV and yes it’s quite an origraphic/vertical motion and lapse rate kinda deal

Last month we had a short period of "stuff" that rattled thru the branches and on the leaves just like IP.  However, what landed on my wool jacket was opaque and quite irregular in shape, obviously flakes very heavily rimed, or half-melted and refrozen.
12-18?  I'll have to look at GYX's "90%/most likely/10%" table again.  An hour ago it had Farmington at 0/10/11".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Last month we had a short period of "stuff" that rattled thru the branches and on the leaves just like IP.  However, what landed on my wool jacket was opaque and quite irregular in shape, obviously flakes very heavily rimed, or half-melted and refrozen.
12-18?  I'll have to look at GYX's "90%/most likely/10%" table again.  An hour ago it had Farmington at 0/10/11".

Wow!  Just got punched up to 6/14/19.  Shazam!  Warmer, pastier and less areal coverage version of 2003?  Only a day early.  (That beast dropped 24" of 14:1 pow with blizzard criteria for about 12 hours.)