Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Don’t think it’ll be pure snow unfortunately - I don’t buy the HRRR at all. CTP’s 9 pm forecast discussion writes off anything of substance due to temps.  

Lol....Did you not read my post???

I said snow to mix...

No one thought this was a pure snow event.

CTP is on their 5th idea of the day for this minor event!

Well, I went outside again to look at my snowboard and to my amazement another 0.1" had fallen over the past 2 hours!  (lol).  I'm probably not going to know if any more falls before the mix since any sleet that falls will compact the tiny amount of snow.  But, it's nice to see the ground "white" maybe for the next 12 hours before it melts.  Temp has dropped almost 0.5 degree over the past hour and is now at its low of 28.8 degrees.

Half decent burst of snow currently. It's been generally a very fine grainy type snow most of the evening. Measured 0.4", which brings the day's total to 0.6" as I woke up first thing this morning to a light coating (0.2") to start the day. Maybe we'll graduate to measuring whole inches again this weekend.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It would be nice if they made a forecast today and stuck with it before changing it 5 times before the event even gets underway.

It seems they are guessing instead of forecasting. Not a who lot of precipitation on the radar this morning.Most of it is to the north and sporadic.

It just started pouring sleet mixed with a little freezing rain.  A heavy sleet shower for several minutes.  Enough to hear a good crunch walking on it.

Temp 30.0 and slowly rising.  Final snowfall was 0.2" which melted down to 0.06".  A little bit of sleet made it into the gauge before I brought it inside which might be slightly inflating the liquid equivalent.  For the time being the snow that fell last night is still keeping the ground white.

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

What's the difference between a trace and .1"? That I'm sure is a dumb question, but I don't really know exactly. .1" is ... nothing lol. 

By true definition,  a trace is when you confirm precip hits the ground, ie a rain drop or snow flake etc.  0.1” of snow or rain is enough to officially measure on a snow stick or a rain gauge. Hope that helps.   

Edit: liquid would be 0.01”

• Like 1

Just now, canderson said:

What's the difference between a trace and .1"? That I'm sure is a dumb question, but I don't really know exactly. .1" is ... nothing lol. 

I have a small metal ruler that I can use for anything up to 6".  After that I switch to my 1 meter snow stick (NWS approved because I got it from them).  The rulers are ticked down to 0.1" increments.  Once I have more than 0.05" it goes from a trace up to 0.1".  A trace is anything from flurries that amount to nothing on the ground, on up to a literal dusting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Lol, if I’m the jackpot I feel bad for the rest of you.   I think Mag did a little better than me 

I counted about 30 flakes last night before bed.  

Thats my trace.....

Currently gloomy w/ nothing falling here.  

Does anyone have a new can for me?  I kicked this one so many times, that its shot and shredded....just like our storms.  What a waste of a "good" period.  Just another way for us to be snakebit i guess. 

Ok, my Debbyin is done....for now.  Hoping nooners continue to show some continuity for early next week.  Yesterday started that w/ CMC/GFS/ICON and EURO all showing signs of something.  Lets not widen goalposts today and that'll be a win IMO.

Off and on sleet so far this morning that put down a very light coating on the ground. 29f at the current time. The flakes from last night were just that, flakes. If I hadn't got up to answer mother nature's call, I wouldn't have looked out the window, and wouldn't have even known it flurried...lol

22 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

It just started pouring sleet mixed with a little freezing rain.  A heavy sleet shower for several minutes.  Enough to hear a good crunch walking on it.

Temp 30.0 and slowly rising.  Final snowfall was 0.2" which melted down to 0.06".  A little bit of sleet made it into the gauge before I brought it inside which might be slightly inflating the liquid equivalent.  For the time being the snow that fell last night is still keeping the ground white.

My friend in Perry County told me a bit ago she had heavy sleet too.

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

I counted about 30 flakes last night before bed.  

Thats my trace.....

Currently gloomy w/ nothing falling here.  

Does anyone have a new can for me?  I kicked this one so many times, that its shot and shredded....just like our storms.  What a waste of a "good" period.  Just another way for us to be snakebit i guess. 

Ok, my Debbyin is done....for now.  Hoping nooners continue to show some continuity for early next week.  Yesterday started that w/ CMC/GFS/ICON and EURO all showing signs of something.  Lets not widen goalposts today and that'll be a win IMO.

I'm with you NUT. Getting to that point right now. -NAO and we can't get a good storm out of it.