Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

16 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I've always found it fascinating that Lancaster-based WGAL uses info from Harrisburg and not Lancaster. At least in most of Lanco, 1996 dropped more snow here than 2016 did. The 1983 storm dropped remarkably similar amounts in both locals - I measured 24.8" in the '83 storm. I don't remember 1945. :) 

I like how they have a category for "type" of snowstorm. Like one of H-burg's top 5 snowstorms was going to come from a clipper or something lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Morning and TGIF!

Takeaway from overnights and early morning runs suggest we have a shot at next weeks event.  GEPS more bullish on getting southern/eastern crew into some action.  GEFS also improved, but still not as excited. That said,  they both came north, so thats a small victory, and we need the north trend to continue, because this one has some work to do, but I still feel better about our chances....not great...but better.  

gem-ens_apcpn24_us_20.png

4 minutes ago, paweather said:

I guess it is time to move to Texas or the Carolinas for snow. :D

Western part of North Carolina is a great place for snow - get out west of Wilkesboro and that area averages more snow in the winter than we do. They get upslope, far enough south to get into southern stream action, and far enough west to avoid changeover. My wife wants to retire to Boone - we'll see...

Do you see a Pattern in this forecast? *Edit: I should say except for today. 

Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. North wind around 6 mph.
Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. North wind around 8 mph.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 40. North wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 26. Northwest wind 7 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 41. Northwest wind 6 to 9 mph.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 42.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.
Wednesday Night
Thursday
Partly sunny, with a high near 44.

Just now, paweather said:

I guess it is time to move to Texas or the Carolinas for snow. :D

nah...next week still has time, and 12z's keep it close enough.  just like for this weekends non event, pay attention to the NE.  IF we can get a little more relaxing, that will help to get us the lattitude we need for this thing to come up and visit.  My gut says it can happen.  at 500, you can see it lifting out a bit.  CMC show how it stays south. 

Looknig at the CMC, it looks simialr to ULL issue we have for this weekend.  Hope that goes poof in upcoming runs. Bear in mind, that as NAO relaxes, you may lose thermal boundaries.  Soo many ways to fail it seems.

Just now, paweather said:

Do you see a Pattern in this forecast?

Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. North wind around 6 mph.
Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. North wind around 8 mph.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 40. North wind 8 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 26. Northwest wind 7 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 41. Northwest wind 6 to 9 mph.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 25.
Monday
Monday Night
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.
Wednesday Night
Thursday
Partly sunny, with a high near 44.

You need to move south! Mine has rain/snow for Tuesday. :) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

nah...next week still has time, and 12z's keep it close enough.  just like for this weekends non event, pay attention to the NE.  IF we can get a little more relaxing, that will help to get us the lattitude we need for this thing to come up and visit.  My gut says it can happen.  at 500, you can see it lifting out a bit.  CMC show how it stays south. 

Looknig at the CMC, it looks simialr to ULL issue we have for this weekend.  Hope that goes poof in upcoming runs. Bear in mind, that as NAO relaxes, you may lose thermal boundaries.  Soo many ways to fail it seems.

Sounds good Nut, I will hold out! 

I have been checking for days and it seems nothing much is going on and nothing much is predicted to happen.  I don't want to shovel more snow so I guess I should be happy.  It used to be that a quiet 10 day forecast would change and we would end up getting some precipitation until this summer.  Then we got week after week of mostly blue skies (instead of frequent gray skies) and no rain.  It was weird but wonderful.  Now we have gotten a lot of precipitation recently and now just plain nothing.  It really makes me wonder about the future.  Our weather patterns seem to be very disrupted.  We got 25 inches of snow here in Williamsport less than a month ago so I am not complaining.  But I am wondering.

Harrisburg is still 4 inches of snow above average through today’s date for the season.

We already scored a major event in December. Many of us got at least a solid snow shower to coating of snow on Christmas Day! 
Last Sunday many had a coating of snow/sleet while some places further north & west in CTP had a few inches of snow.

My point is that this Winter has been pretty good to this point. We should get more cold into the pattern next weekend. The -NAO should persist through the end of the month. The pattern looks to get more active next week. We should have a few more winter storm chances this month.

7 hours ago, Voyager said:

Madrid, Spain has Texas beat for this one.... Crazy snowfall in a place that rarely gets snow.

Crazy video. they haven't had a snowstorm this big in 50 years. i always forget places like that don't have systems in place to handle such a heavy and huge amount of snow so the city basically becomes paralyzed. Good luck getting to a hospital or anywhere in that lol