• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

As we all are constantly looking for better times in the year of 2020, go loop the nooner GooFuS and you'll see what blocking looks like on a weather model.  For some of you youngins, this may be a first, as it feels like it's been forever since we've seen it. 

I'd guess in the next couple days, some fun runs start to get the chatter goin again. 

Until then, it's good to be alive and finding our way thru this mess together.

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Time to head for the Tug! Hoping to get buried up there in several weeks. 

2 hours ago, daxx said:

I'm gonna be there from December 30 to January 7.  It's looking better after this mess.

Ha! Good luck with that. This "winter" has SUCKED yet again...at least so far...you guys have had more snowfall down there than we have up here! A couple inches...that will melt before Christmas. So, hoping for lake effect snow that has been MIA the past couple winters...unless you're in Worth on the Tug.

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Ha! Good luck with that. This "winter" has SUCKED yet again...at least so far...you guys have had more snowfall down there than we have up here! A couple inches...that will melt before Christmas. So, hoping for lake effect snow that has been MIA the past couple winters...unless you're in Worth on the Tug.

Yep...I stay at cabin 2 miles from worth.I have been going up there for over 15 years.  Last year was the least I ever saw snow depth wise.  Only 28 inches.  Worth gets hit on just about every wind direction. It will improve going forward up there after Christmas. 

Just now, daxx said:

Yep...I stay at cabin 2 miles from worth.I have been going up there for over 15 years.  Last year was the least I ever saw snow depth wise.  Only 28 inches.  Worth gets hit on just about every wind direction. It will improve going forward up there after Christmas. 

I've seriously been considering moving there, but my wife would have my head.... :P 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I'm actually going up to Lake Placid in early February. It's been on the bucket list for years and I got inspired by Brian (Daxx) to make a trip north in the dead of winter. I'm sure while I'm up there a storm will go off the Virginia coast with 20" here at home with cirrus in the Adirondacks. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, daxx said:

If you ever see place on townline rd or bice rd for sale buy It!  That area is probably the best on the Tug. I've been all over that hill and that area is by far the best location. 

I'm most familiar w/ Barnes Corners, and if I was able (would be going solo, cause NOO waaaayy would my wife ever consider moving to the snow capital of NYS), that's where i'd go if it were purely for snow.  Brantingham and Old Forge are pretty as well, just not as snowy.  

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'm most familiar w/ Barnes Corners, and if I was able (would be going solo, cause NOO waaaayy would my wife ever consider moving to the snow capital of NYS), that's where i'd go if it were purely for snow.  Brantingham and Old Forge are pretty as well, just not as snowy.  

I believe Barnes gets hits harder by thaws in the winter. Being on the north side of the Tug, it can downslope and warm up pretty good on a southerly wind.

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Redfield seems to get shellacked as well.  Southern Tug

Redfield is really just a reference point for nws to use.If you go around 6 or so miles north of Redfield that's were the big totals start to show.  I'm not saying the town does not get a lot of snow, just saying the big totals are usually a short distance north.

7 minutes ago, daxx said:

Redfield is really just a reference point for nws to use.If you go around 6 or so miles north of Redfield that's were the big totals start to show.  I'm not saying the town does not get a lot of snow, just saying the big totals are usually a short distance north.

Yeah, as somebody who lived in South Redfield for a winter, close to the Reservoir...the town gets NOTHING like they do 5 miles to the north or east (higher elevation there). The town itself is in a dreaded transition zone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah, as somebody who lived in South Redfield for a winter, close to the Reservoir...the town gets NOTHING like they do 5 miles to the north or east (higher elevation there). The town itself is in a dreaded transition zone.

I can remember a snowmobile trip that we were going through Pulaski to Adams and seeing a couple blobs of snow and then saying wth did we just come up here for.  We then got off the Adams Center exit and started climbing "The Hill", and by the time we were going through Barnes corners, seeing sled tracks going across the roads, it was just mind boggling.  We went from basically nada to about 18-24" otg.  We see that at the cabin in Tioga, but to a much smaller scale.  My place sits on a west facing ridge at 2275', and believe me it makes a difference.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, daxx said:

Yea, Barnes corners is a great area, but just a few miles south of there is even better. Regardless its way better than what we get around here.

Yeah Barnes corner, North redfield and worth/lorraine are some of the snowiest areas east of L.. Ontario..

Back in 2016-2018 N redfield had about 100-150 more inches then the southern part of town..It's also quite a big town lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, daxx said:

Yea..southeast Jefferson, northeast Oswego and central Lewis county is by far snow heaven. 

Yea I've lived all around that zone but never in it lol From Altmar (east of the southern tug) to copenhagen (north of the tug) to pulaski (even more east of the southern tug) 

Needless to say I see a lot of snow but also miss a lot of snow lol It can get frustrating for sure..

• Like 1

Once grabbed my ten year old, hopped in the car and went up to Tug on a whim right after High Market got 76” in a really short period of time. Just wanted to see that much fresh snow. Incredible!  I did pity everyone shoveling off their roofs.

Ended the trip snowmobiling somewhere around Boonville. Great trip.

• Like 2