Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

Just now, nesussxwx said:

Can't see any model making that big a jump to a point where KPIT sees nothing. There's been a ton of sampled data so far.

Not nothing....but I can definitely see it moving to the point we end up with a 2-4 event which would be brutal after seeing the euro spit out a foot plus.

4 minutes ago, JTrout said:

How many of your spouses/significant others are mad at you at this point already? I think after 10 years my wife maybe understands 10% of my weather obsession.  

I have been in our bed up until after 1am on my laptop since last week and all is good. I am a lucky guy! My wife also got use to it although last year she was spoiled there was nothing to track. 

4 minutes ago, JTrout said:

How many of your spouses/significant others are mad at you at this point already? I think after 10 years my wife maybe understands 10% of my weather obsession.  

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

Mine's mad at me all the time. I don't need a snowstorm to pizz her off...lol

After many, many years...she just knows the drill by now. What bothers her more is what happens AFTER the storm. I usually spend about a day in depression after many days of hunting. She doesn't understand the emotional toll of following something for a week and then letting it go.

14 minutes ago, JTrout said:

She makes a beeping sound when she walks by and I have a map up. Otherwise it keeps me out of her hair so she’s happy as can be. 

• Like 1

Last night my 4 yr old daughter woke me up twice, once to pee and once with a nose bleed. I blamed her for being tired this morning.  Wife didn't think that was funny. Staying up for the Euro or waking up at 3am to check the 12z runs may have had something to do with it the last 5 days. 

to all my weather friends on this forum. You are the first to know

Just received this from PEMA

Good Afternoon .

Thank you con contacting the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency.  The Governor will be issuing a State of Emergency Declaration for this snow storm (December 16-17).  You will have to check with Lehigh County directly to see if they are going to issue a County Disaster Declaration. 

Regards.

Tim

Timothy L. Roth | Emergency Management Supervisor

Private Sector Liaison

External Affairs Office

Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency

1310 Elmerton Avenue | Harrisburg PA  17110-9713

www.PEMA.pa.gov | www.Ready.PA.gov

Stay Calm, Stay Alert, Stay Safe

Like us on facebook.com/PEMAHQ

Follow us on Twitter @PEMAHQ and @PEMADirector

Learn how to Be Informed, Be Prepared, and Be Involved at www.Ready.PA.gov

EMAPaccredited_25

2 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

Good Afternoon .

Thank you con contacting the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency.  The Governor will be issuing a State of Emergency Declaration for this snow storm (December 16-17).  You will have to check with Lehigh County directly to see if they are going to issue a County Disaster Declaration. 

Regards.

Tim

Private Sector Liaison

External Affairs Office

EMAPaccredited_25

Who listens to the governor? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

Good Afternoon .

Regards.

Tim

Private Sector Liaison

External Affairs Office

EMAPaccredited_25

HOW DARE HE PREVENT MY FREEDOM 

Did I do that right? PennDOT is going to announce speed restrictions and all tomorrow am too.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I can't see it making that big of an adjustment either way at this point? 

I agree. Getting close enough that goalposts are narrowing. I think kpit is in the game. No ledges needed. We all win at different levels. I surely feel his fears tho  just from the other side. 

CTP has thundersnow in the forecast for Harrisburg!

Wednesday
Snow, mainly after 11am. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 31. East wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible. 
Wednesday Night
Snow before 1am, then snow and sleet. The snow and sleet could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 26. North wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mshaffer526 said:

Enjoy the storm all. I am from Altoona and went to college at Juniata in Huntingdon. Living in Eastern Lancaster County now (Gap) and will be happy with anything over half a foot. 

I enjoyed reading your posts on the other weather forum. You are always welcome and I encourage you to post here.

• Thanks 1

I honestly don't see much change from 12z to 18z or really anything major from model to model at 18z in terms of the surface track when comparing stuff. I'm not going to chase every random kink or secondary max in the isobars. Everyone's going to get a significant snowstorm. Where the best 700mb forcing resides is going to be where the top end snow totals are going to be found and the amount of warm advection aloft is going to determine what kind of mixing issues occur in the LSV, specifically below the turnpike.

Model's aren't quite honed in on either yet, especially the mixing. The 18z GFS basically tracked the surface low pretty much the same the 12z as did the 12 vs 18z NAM. Now NAM has looked a bit southeast of the GFS but the NAM sends a lot of sleet (3k had 1-2"+ worth) into the LSV and the GFS basically has the surface low running a straight rain/snow line.

The culprit for all of this is not at 850mb but at the 700mb level. There's a huge difference between the NAM and GFS on temps at that level. 

NAM

nam-nest-conus-ma-t700-8170400.thumb.png.718310b18de0262c0c70a0ac4646fc29.png

GFS

gfs-deterministic-ma-t700-8174000.thumb.png.39dccb5068d0c141c724c0ba9438c7f4.png

There was a compromise to be in had in the form of the earlier 12z Euro which is tracking similar to the GFS on the surface. That was borderline at 700mb but generally stayed below freezing at that level and at 850mb where it showed mix.. like indicating a briefer intrusion of the warm nose somewhere in between those levels (probably a more reasonable assumption. 

ecmwf-deterministic-ma-t700-8174000.thumb.png.cd8520edb8ff8af957cceba51c8c6a22.png

• Like 2