Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah complaining about 6 vs 16 is probably not right, but I've been sucked in and see enough to see it in jeopardy.  I'm not panicking.  If I get a crap ton of sleet on top of 6-10 I'll be alright. 

It's all good my friend. I get it, I got sucked in for over a foot but who knows. I'll be up all night tomorrow night. LOL. I have been up after 1am every night to catch the EURO. Good time for remote work. :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Euro will really tip the scales IMO.  

Parsing over thermal profiles, we are still safe, although SE is marginally so for a few panels.  Thats going over the 700's and 850's, so while best forcing may be NW, we may depend on rates prior to any changeover for eastern locals.  Were on the edge, but still have a little buffer.  

With model's seemingly starting to zero on taking the surface low essentially to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (the Baltimore one), it's pretty likely at least the southern parts of York/Lancaster have a period mid storm where they mix. I think it'd be mainly sleet north of the mason-dixon line but a low track that close is probably going to introduce p-type issues there for a couple hours. Once the low starts to make it's fade heading toward going under Long Island and New England I think anyone mixing in PA will promptly go back to snow. 

• Like 1

With model's seemingly starting to zero on taking the surface low essentially to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (the Baltimore one), it's pretty likely at least the southern parts of York/Lancaster have a period mid storm where they mix. I think it'd be mainly sleet north of the mason-dixon line but a low track that close is probably going to introduce p-type issues there for a couple hours. Once the low starts to make it's fade heading toward going under Long Island and New England I think anyone mixing in PA will promptly go back to snow. 

I’ve been expecting that to happen for a couple days. If we can minimize it for 2 hours, I will take my chip pile away and run.

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Yep.  Agreed.  Are you buying the "jump" to the western bay??  Several models show almost a retrograde kinda look, and not a progressive one.  Thats my rub.  Its had a progressive look for days, and now LP jumps west and erodes our precious thermals.  IMO thats what I'm hoping is noise and not a noose for my area.  

CTP updated Warning language. 

WINTER STORM WARNING
ISSUED: 12:00 PM DEC. 15, 2020 – NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAY TO
7 AM EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 9 to 12
inches to the west of the Interstate 99 corridor, and 12 to 18
inches across the remainder of South-central Pennsylvania

* WHERE...The Southern half of Central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 10 AM Wednesday to 7 AM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The
hazardous conditions could impact the evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Bands of heavy snow with accumulation rates
of 2 to 3 inches per hour are likely late Wednesday and
Wednesday night.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania
Turnpike Commission strongly encourage motorists to heed all
travel restrictions and delay unnecessary travel as significant
winter weather conditions will make travel very hazardous.

Call 5 1 1 or visit www.511pa.com for the latest travel, roadway
and traffic conditions.

To report snow, post to the NWS State College Facebook page, use
Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or visit weather.gov/ctp.

&&

Just got bumped to a Winter Storm Warning in Tioga County

Tioga-
Including the cities of Mansfield and Wellsboro
1200 PM EST Tue Dec 15 2020

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON WEDNESDAY TO 10 AM
EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to
  13 inches.

* WHERE...Tioga County.

* WHEN...From noon Wednesday to 10 AM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Heavy snow may make for very difficult to impossible
  travel conditions, particularly for the Wednesday evening
  commute through Wednesday night.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall rates of up to 2 inches per hour
  are expected late Wednesday and Wednesday night.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, basehore said:

Just got bumped to a Winter Storm Warning in Tioga County

Tioga-
Including the cities of Mansfield and Wellsboro
1200 PM EST Tue Dec 15 2020

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM NOON WEDNESDAY TO 10 AM
EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to
  13 inches.

* WHERE...Tioga County.

* WHEN...From noon Wednesday to 10 AM EST Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Heavy snow may make for very difficult to impossible
  travel conditions, particularly for the Wednesday evening
  commute through Wednesday night.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall rates of up to 2 inches per hour
  are expected late Wednesday and Wednesday night.

same here for 8-12"

• Like 1

@HorstWeather   Update: No major changes. 18"+ is likely in some central PA counties. However, I expect some sleet/ice will hold totals down to 6 - 12" in Lanc city. Higher amounts possible in NorLanco...lesser near MD border. Many forecasters ignoring low-end scenarios & snow climatology.

Was just about to post that.

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Good luck out there-certainly looks based on trends like I-80 corridor and I-81 north of I-80 do very well-essentially an arc from the Catskills to UNV/AOO. Something like a 3/14/17 outcome. If these models are right, could be the first 20"+ event for UNV since 1994? There should be a hellacious band just north of that 700mb low track, deformation and plenty of lift there, along with good ratios. 

Yup I think it would be. 96 and 03 came the closest with 18"ish. Nov '95 was also a 15-18" type snowstorm in UNV. 

It would be the first one for me personally from an IMBY perspective since '94, which I was 6-8 years old in 92-94 so I don't really remember that golden age for big snowstorms in this corridor. Jan '96, Feb 03,  and Feb '10 were all high teens storms (still great events though of course). Just missed the 20"+ by about 15-20 miles in 2016. Hard to do around here, I'll believe it when my homemade snowboard that tops out at 20" disappears tomorrow night lol. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Yup I think it would be. 96 and 03 came the closest with 18"ish. Nov '95 was also a 15-18" type snowstorm in UNV. 

It would be the first one for me personally from an IMBY perspective since '94, which I was 6-8 years old in 92-94 so I don't really remember that golden age for big snowstorms in this corridor. Jan '96, Feb 03,  and Feb '10 were all high teens storms (still great events though of course). Just missed the 20"+ by about 15-20 miles in 2016. Hard to do around here, I'll believe it when my homemade snowboard that tops out at 20" disappears tomorrow night lol. 

I sincerely hope you get that much and more.