Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

1 minute ago, paweather said:

If your in Shippensburg I am not sure what is slipping away from you. It does appear on the NAM that Lancaster county is at risk to turn to sleet/FRZ rain for a period of time.  

You are correct.

However, the trend north and the band of heaviest snow has moved notably north as well. His concern at this point is valid. (still think his area is in a really good spot)

I've been informing management at work since Saturday to expect 6-10" including a significant amount of ice. Admittedly, I was concerned that I was undershooting this until last evening. I feel pretty good about my call right now - even though they've been pushing back and saying that they're hearing that we're getting over 2'. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

You are correct.

However, the trend north and the band of heaviest snow has moved notably north as well. His concern at this point is valid. (still think his area is in a really good spot)

I think whatever/whoever changes over or mix of snow/sleet/FRZ rain is just for a small period of time based on the track of the low. It will not damper in snow totals all that much unless the model runs today continue to trend north and west further that even true Central PA gets into mixing. Highly doubt that. 

I think whatever/whoever changes over or mix of snow/sleet/FRZ rain is just for a small period of time based on the track of the low. It will not damper in snow totals all that much unless the model runs today continue to trend north and west further that even true Central PA gets into mixing. Highly doubt that. 

Yeah, would even be more concerned of dry slotting then the amount of sleet in Lancaster County.

I do think 6-10 for Lanco is a good solid call at this time. And most of that with the initial thump.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paweather said:

In fairness, you can see at 45 the "dampening" in my area (Lanco).  I looked S and SW of me to see the movement of the R/S line and I'm ok w/ what 12z did.  It's first out of the nooner gate, and seemed to stop the westward progression of the LP 

6z

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_38.png

12z

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_36.png

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

In fairness, you can see at 45 the "dampening" in my area (Lanco).  I looked S and SW of me to see the movement of the R/S line and I'm ok w/ what 12z did.  It's first out of the nooner gate, and seemed to stop the westward progression of the LP 

6z

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_38.png

12z

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_36.png

Agreed good comparison between 6z and 12z. 

2 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Yeah, would even be more concerned of dry slotting then the amount of sleet in Lancaster County.

I do think 6-10 for Lanco is a good solid call at this time. And most of that with the initial thump.

verbatim, no dry slot on 12k.  Scratch that off "our" worry list.  LP shift NE seemed to save us.  I liked the subtle increase of CAD and hope that in the next couple runs we continue to see the HP in Quebec do its thingy to the LSV thermal profiles.  Track really was nice, so I'm happy w/ that (and am cool w/ sleet in the mix - just not too much).

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

verbatim, no dry slot on 12k.  Scratch that off "our" worry list.  LP shift NE seemed to save us.  I liked the subtle increase of CAD and hope that in the next couple runs we continue to see the HP in Quebec do its thingy to the LSV thermal profiles.  Track really was nice, so I'm happy w/ that (and am cool w/ sleet in the mix - just not too much).

At the very least on the sleet changeover per model trends if it were to happen, very minimal and then back to all snow. We will see what the rest of the day brings. 

1 hour ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Hey all. I’m chasing this storm up from Philly. I don’t want to drive more than 3 hours tops. I was thinking either poconos, but also Williamsport or around the Harrisburg region. Any spots you’d recommend based on current data? I’m a little worried in E PA about the deformation zone lifting farther N than anticipated, but that’d still be better for c pa. Can’t decide! I’d be leaving early  tomorrow morning so still time to get some model runs in.

Lewistown.

Hope your right. HRRR was showing a nasty dry slot, but again, not sure model is in its range yet.

Speaking of dry slots, remember during the 2016 blizzard how that dry slot was racing N-NW out of eastern and central MD right towards us? (Lanco) The dry slot literally reached the M/D line JUST as the pivot took over and saved us. There were areas in NE MD that saw 12" less than we did all because they got dry slotted.

On the HRRR, it gets VERY close tomorrow evening. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Speaking of dry slots, remember during the 2016 blizzard how that dry slot was racing N-NW out of eastern and central MD right towards us? (Lanco) The dry slot literally reached the M/D line JUST as the pivot took over and saved us. There were areas in NE MD that saw 12" less than we did all because they got dry slotted.

On the HRRR, it gets VERY close tomorrow evening. 

Go loop the 3k and you'll see a similar presentation.  We get decent pivot lovin in eastern pa including LSV on 3k.  

1 minute ago, paweather said:

I don't think you would have to travel to see it go down at this point. 

That was more for the world travelers coming in from Hagerstown and Havre de Grace and Nick Foles' house than anything. Although, getting back out on the dam toward Ridenhour Overlook (for anyone whose been to the lake before) would be an insane view. You'd be stuck there until March, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1