Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

Just now, anotherman said:

I'm certainly not in pain looking at that.  Can we celebrate yet?  I'm still dreading the dreaded westward shift with the low.

I'm not celebrating anything other than the excitement of having something to track. I have the same concerns that you do, and they won't be alleviated until the snow is falling and piling. We've missed on too many "can't miss" storms in the past. 

• Like 1

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I'm not celebrating anything other than the excitement of having something to track. I have the same concerns that you do, and they won't be alleviated until the snow is falling and piling. We've missed on too many "can't miss" storms in the past. 

I hear you.  MA is melting down, that's for sure.  Wouldn't take much for us to be next.

I’m skeptical of the forecasts for higher snowfall amounts.  The ECMWF was overly bullish 10 days ago.   With a sub 28” low east of Newfoundland a more amplified trough in the baroclinic zone is going to need everything in place. 

In addition, there is a lot of Arctic, dry air to overcome.  Without a well amplified trough closer to the coast I’m thinking the widespread 12”+ aren’t going to verify. 

Question - we have three results - one that spreads more snow to the nw and cuts our totals down in Lanco, while we have the jackpot thru lancaster and another one showing the whole area getting hit. I guess we need to wait for all the models agree or are there any thoughts on which way this could go. More confluence = more outside, less confluence = more inside?  BTW it has been a record setting number of days w/o measurable so the fact that it is snowing today and Wed/Thurs leaves me giddy with joy. Just wondering others thoughts.

7 minutes ago, DHS@ABE said:

I’m skeptical of the forecasts for higher snowfall amounts.  The ECMWF was overly bullish 10 days ago.   With a sub 28” low east of Newfoundland a more amplified trough in the baroclinic zone is going to need everything in place. 

In addition, there is a lot of Arctic, dry air to overcome.  Without a well amplified trough closer to the coast I’m thinking the widespread 12”+ aren’t going to verify. 

GFS hinting at this by cutting precip each run. 

26 minutes ago, canderson said:

GFS hinting at this by cutting precip each run. 

this is true, but what is also true is that it is known for "losing" the storm only to bring it back inside 24.  Not saying that's going to happen here as many models have been pretty firm on something coming, but its a possibility that we've seen a plenty.

1 minute ago, JTrout said:

I think I would be more comfortable with a 4-8 forecast and get surprised in the 24 hrs leading up to the storm. Rather then NOAA being this bullish. A vast majority are in their safe zone for 12-24 inches.  Crazy 

EpNqvotXIAAjwUH.jpg

Its a valid perspective, but on the other side of the challenge is creating public awareness to the POTENTIAL...as there is a rather large difference in 8" vs 18''.

They are rarely bullish, so when they are honking, ya gotta listen imo.  Its really a no win proposition for them (as we all know), but I could see them getting roasted just as bad for "forgetting a 1 in front of the 8".  Its just the way society is unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Its a valid perspective, but on the other side of the challenge is creating public awareness to the POTENTIAL...as there is a rather large difference in 8" vs 18''.

They are rarely bullish, so when they are honking, ya gotta listen imo.  Its really a no win proposition for them (as we all know), but I could see them getting roasted just as bad for "forgetting a 1 in front of the 8".  Its just the way society is unfortunately.

I definitely understand, their job is public safety in regards to informing people of potential weather. If they didn't post a tornado warning and a tornado occurred killing people, they would get roasted. If it doesn't happen, the worst people do is hide in the basement for a little while. People will grumble either way, have to play it safe. Crippling snow storms are rare, and so fun for us. Makes me nervous in a good way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

And, we remember and criticize freely when they're wrong, but don't acknowledge and appreciate the times (which is more often than not) they are right. Hey, I work for a large food manufacturer...the only times when we hear from customers is when we got it wrong...

I sell cars at Faulkner Chevy, well aware of customers being unhappy....selling anything mechanical is asking for someone to be unhappy. Especially big ticket repairs. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

And, we remember and criticize freely when they're wrong, but don't acknowledge and appreciate the times (which is more often than not) they are right. Hey, I work for a large food manufacturer...the only times when we hear from customers is when we got it wrong...

I'm guilty as charged.  No doubt about it.  They have a conservative bias to snow, and like you stated, its usually more right than wrong.  Reading the discos from a couple days out wrt the midweek mauler has been fun (and a welcome departure from normal).

See what I did there?   :D

• Haha 1