Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

For those interested, Horst doesn't tweet as much as he did when he was weather director at MU. He updated an hour or so ago saying he expects a jackpot of 16" somewhere in our area. Of course, mentions taint in York and Lancaster with all snow north and west of Harrisburg.

We know exactly where that 16” of snow will verify.... @Cashtown_Coop !

33 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

For those interested, Horst doesn't tweet as much as he did when he was weather director at MU. He updated an hour or so ago saying he expects a jackpot of 16" somewhere in our area. Of course, mentions taint in York and Lancaster with all snow north and west of Harrisburg.

Here is the Horst tweet that you mentioned.

“expect a bullseye of 16" to fall somewhere in Central PA (too early to pick the spot). Rain/snow line near Philly. Snow/mix line near York/Lanc...w/ all snow N&W of Harrisburg.”

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

0z NAM ticks SE. for #1. Not sure I expected that but welcome it for the main event later on. 

I've been away today and haven't had much time to scrutinize models too much, but vs the 18z NAM this first event is way more robust on the 0z.

0z on the left, 18z right

221035855_ScreenShot2020-12-12at9_34_49PM.thumb.png.855476220a747ac7eb96f0f7c378f571.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Isn't that what we need for a bigger hit from storm #2?

I really think you sit in the catbird seat. I’m concerned about LSV and taint or changeover for number 2 down here. I need boundary a tick SE for me wrt #2. 

also as long as spacing between 1 and 2 stays the same it shouldn’t change much w/ # 2 s potential. Any less spacing and dynamics get robbed a bit. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

I've been away today and haven't had much time to scrutinize models too much, but vs the 18z NAM this first event is way more robust on the 0z.

0z on the left, 18z right

221035855_ScreenShot2020-12-12at9_34_49PM.thumb.png.855476220a747ac7eb96f0f7c378f571.png

I scrolled thru the panels and thought the same. Need to make sure #1 doesn’t blow up much more as it could hurt # 2s potential. 

Just now, pasnownut said:

I scrolled thru the panels and thought the same. Need to make sure #1 doesn’t blow up much more as it could hurt # 2s potential. 

@psuhoffman did a great analysis on this earlier. Either way, we should be in great shape. 
Let’s take any snow anytime that we can get it! If Monday delivers too, then bring it!

5 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 18z EPS & Control say Lancaster is in great shape! The Euro dominates the GFS in these type of events.

Call me snakebit. Yeah it does historically do better w skill scores but GFS has been eeking  NW and has me a bit “on edge”. Seeing NAM CMC and euro SE of GFS is nice for sure. Hoping next few runs to see the GFS come SE a bit. 

6 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Isn't that what we need for a bigger hit from storm #2?

It was a concern I initially had, mainly because of timing and getting the systems too close together was my worry. As this has evolved the last couple days it doesn't appear to be as much of an issue, especially on the Euro. That has generally been the most aggressive model with northern extent on this first event and it's been subsequently pounding the Mid-Atl/NE with the main system regardless. 

Yesterday I mentioned Larry Cosgrove's winter forecast which contains a bunch of analogs of waning Nina's through winter.  He gave double weight to several years which included 1995-96.  Back in December of '95 I still lived in northern NJ.  I distinctly remember a significant snowstorm just a week before Christmas.  Actually, it was December 19th and I measured 13" from that storm.  It was very cold and that kept a good chunk of the snowfall still around when the blockbuster January 6th storm hit.  That winter the snow started falling in November and didn't stop until the middle of April!  I measured 92" total snow for that record season which still stands for me as the greatest snow season of my life.  I just think it's interesting to watch things unfold in the coming weeks.

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

It was a concern I initially had, mainly because of timing and getting the systems too close together was my worry. As this has evolved the last couple days it doesn't appear to be as much of an issue, especially on the Euro. That has generally been the most aggressive model with northern extent on this first event and it's been subsequently pounding the Mid-Atl/NE with the main system regardless. 

Good to know. Thanks!