Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

16 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@MAG5035 

Unless you really fainted....What do you think of the 0z runs tonight?!

We’re definitely looking good at the moment, I’ve noticed the globals are starting to solidify the NW extent of the precip shield which is a good sign for getting west central PA and the Pittsburgh folks more involved. The Canadian op still seems the most SE with the axis of heaviest snow, but looks like the CMC ensemble align a bit more toward the GFS/Euro. Euro is def the most amped, pretty much representing a nearly best case scenario for most of our region save for perhaps a period of p-type issues in York/Lancaster. A simple blend of everything puts most of C-PA and all of the Sus Valley in a pretty good place.

All of that for Wed/Thurs and the GFS/GEFS/CMC ensemble are showing more support for the Euro’s more robust initial wave and lighter snowfall potential in at least the southern tier of the state Monday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The models sniff out the classics a week in advance and then generally lose them temporarily about 3-4 days out, only to find them again. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost it either midday today or tomorrow for a few runs, but considering CTP is posting info graphics this far out, it seems like it's a good shot. 

43 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

The models sniff out the classics a week in advance and then generally lose them temporarily about 3-4 days out, only to find them again. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost it either midday today or tomorrow for a few runs, but considering CTP is posting info graphics this far out, it seems like it's a good shot. 

That’s been in the back of my mind as well. Don’t be surprised if we “lose it” for a bit. It’s happened many times. Sure is lookin good tho. 6z gfs was pretty stellar. 

The Monday storm still needs to be figured out. Will it be a tiny appetizer or a small plate?

Here are CTP’s thoughts this morning on the Monday event:

“The models are not in total agreement with the northward extent and QPF amounts, even though timing is similar. Neither of the solutions is generally preferred, and the spread is also good info. For now, we have bumped up the PoPs across the S to categorical (>80%) and mentioned 1-2" of snow in the southern half of the area. There are motions by the 00Z European and 06Z GFS representatives to push the heavier precip farther to the north. The 06Z NAM takes the QPF to another level and would make a significant snowfall event if it were to come to fruition. The arguments against the heavier QPF are two-fold: The fast W-E storm speed, and the Wrly/NWrly flow throughout the event which could bring in drier air and cut down both the northward extent of the precip and the QPF amounts.”

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

If we have 1 off run I’m sure that our friends @Eskimo Joe & @canderson will cancel the storm!

Naw. It's an early season event and I'm expecting mixing at my house. You're all looking pretty good in Central PA. We're in the Euro's wheelhouse now and it's still solid. If this holds through 00z Monday runs we are probably good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

19 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

That’s been in the back of my mind as well. Don’t be surprised if we “lose it” for a bit. It’s happened many times. Sure is lookin good tho. 6z gfs was pretty stellar. 

Usually it's a NAM run that is a complete miss, and often by a ridiculous amount. 6 hours later it comes back with 3.5" of QPF. 

GFS is also good for a suppressed, strung-out run or 2. 

56 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Naw. It's an early season event and I'm expecting mixing at my house. You're all looking pretty good in Central PA. We're in the Euro's wheelhouse now and it's still solid. If this holds through 00z Monday runs we are probably good.

Thanks man!

I was just joking around. Some of us remember in January 2016 when you canceled the storm after 1 off Euro run!