Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

verbatim, its an early early transfer (which is what we'd want) as antecedent cold isnt too strong.

As depicted, its a best case scenario, as it wouldnt warm the thermal fields too much, so we' basically have a cleaner look to the storm.  

Makes sense. Instead of a more northern transfer look. It transfer early and looks more like a Miller A. 

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

verbatim, its an early early transfer (which is what we'd want) as antecedent cold isnt too strong.

As depicted, its a best case scenario, as it wouldnt warm the thermal fields too much, so we' basically have a cleaner look to the storm.  

I'll settle for a modified Miller B ala 1996 and call it a season. :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, paweather said:

Makes sense. Instead of a more northern transfer look. It transfer early and looks more like a Miller A. 

heres that panel shat shows what I'm talking about.  You can see the closed contours over southern Ill.  next frame, its of NC coast and right where we want it.  again its just a run, but its a nice run.  

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_23.png

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

heres that panel shat shows what I'm talking about.  You can see the closed contours over southern Ill.  next frame, its of NC coast and right where we want it.  again its just a run, but its a nice run.  

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_23.png

Thanks for the visual of it. And your right only one of many to come. 

The GFS is def more miller B in it's evolution with the Ohio Valley low. I'd argue that scenario probably has more precip hanging back over most of the state, but the seemingly early takeover of the coastal definitely would take away from the actual central part of central PA and western PA in that scenario. Pretty close to last night's Euro. That looked like more of a straight miller A with only a little bit of surface reflection to the Ohio Valley. That probably could have more precip on its NW quadrant too. Not going to sweat those details though. Models are starting to see this particular threat and that's a step in the right direction. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

The GFS is def more miller B in it's evolution with the Ohio Valley low. I'd argue that scenario probably has more precip hanging back over most of the state, but the seemingly early takeover of the coastal definitely would take away from the actual central part of central PA and western PA in that scenario. Pretty close to last night's Euro. That looked like more of a straight miller A with only a little bit of surface reflection to the Ohio Valley. That probably could have more precip on its NW quadrant too. Not going to sweat those details though. Models are starting to see this particular threat and that's a step in the right direction. 

Sounds like DT is all in on a Miller B for the midweek event. He's "growling" for areas N&E of the PA Turnpike...not quite "woofing" yet. :)

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sounds like DT is all in on a Miller B for the midweek event. He's "growling" for areas N&E of the PA Turnpike...not quite "woofing" yet. :)

Not sure what to think of DT anymore.  Seeing how smitten he is w/ the EPS over the last few years, he's gone down w/ a lot of ships ya know.

Best lunch takeaway to me is that it seems like we are another day closer to some appreciable tracking ops. as we approach the mid term and things start to look more legit.  Really glad to see the models adjusting to the tellies.  Have a good rest of your day all.  

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Not sure what to think of DT anymore.  Seeing how smitten he is w/ the EPS over the last few years, he's gone down w/ a lot of ships ya know.

Best lunch takeaway to me is that it seems like we are another day closer to some appreciable tracking ops. as we approach the mid term and things start to look more legit.  Really glad to see the models adjusting to the tellies.  Have a good rest of your day all.  

Wonder what happened to Bob Chill. 

Just now, pasnownut said:

Best lunch takeaway to me is that it seems like we are another day closer to some appreciable tracking ops. as we approach the near term and things start to look more legit.  Really glad to see the models adjusting to the tellies.  Have a good rest of your day all.  

It's hard to not be interested given the setup - going to be some fun days of tracking ahead. Far better than this time last year. Nice to see the Atlantic playing nice with us. 

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

It's hard to not be interested given the setup - going to be some fun days of tracking ahead. Far better than this time last year. Nice to see the Atlantic playing nice with us. 

yep.  I also corrected my post as i stated near term, but were really headed twds mid term.  Still close enough to count right??

6 minutes ago, paweather said:

One more from the EURO and I promise, well, maybe no more for a while. :-)

Seeing the big guns all pointed in a similar direction is a welcome sight for sore eyes.  Lets hope goalposts dont jump too much.  As the cold air is finally being seen/realized, lets hope that helps w/ coming model runs.  We shouldnt see this one or the next one headed back to the lakes in coming days.  Pattern supports what we are seeing.  

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Seeing the big guns all pointed in a similar direction is a welcome sight for sore eyes.  Lets hope goalposts dont jump too much.  As the cold air is finally being seen/realized, lets hope that helps w/ coming model runs.  We shouldnt see this one or the next one headed back to the lakes in coming days.  Pattern supports what we are seeing.  

Yep. Agreed. I am just glad we will have something to track over the weekend....HOPEFULLY! that it doesn't disappear tomorrow. Happy hour runs coming up and I'll buy today.

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Wonder what happened to Bob Chill. 

Not sure, but as we've all played down in the MA forum (some more than others), and one can see how taxing it can be to enjoy this sport...especially down there. 

I'd guess its burnout and lack of ROI (at least thats what I've struggled w/ in the past).  Of course we all know to temper expectations, but we've had more than a few rugs pulled (wrt NAO, MJO and other things) not materializing as modeled.  Couple that w/ a ratter pattern like last year, and for a true snow lover, its tough.

Tombo, mitch, heavy and a few other great contributors have moved on (tombo pops in when not on his forum once in a while).     

Not sure, but as we've all played down in the MA forum (some more than others), and one can see how taxing it can be to enjoy this sport...especially down there. 

I'd guess its burnout and lack of ROI (at least thats what I've struggled w/ in the past).  Of course we all know to temper expectations, but we've had more than a few rugs pulled (wrt NAO, MJO and other things) not materializing as modeled.  Couple that w/ a ratter pattern like last year, and for a true snow lover, its tough.

Tombo, mitch, heavy and a few other great contributors have moved on (tombo pops in when not on his forum once in a while).     

Yeah I miss those guys. Actually today in viewing it, no bad at all. Some really good maps that I cannot get access to are being posted and the EPS came in per MA very good as well on this run. 

Heavy moved forecast offices, he's down in Sterling now, or at least was. He has posted sporadically in the Mid Atlantic threads. 

I miss the days when everyone would follow Tombo's legendary panel by panel Euro descriptions from years ago...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, paweather said:

One more from the EURO and I promise, well, maybe no more for a while. :-)

Wsmptwx FTW on the 12z Euro haha. The Kuchera map gave him about 30". 

This seems to have a pretty solid showing on the ensembles today, even on the Canadian ensembles where the op whiffed today at 12z.  This potential event definitely has my attention now. That NAO over the top blocking driving the storm track down is definitely a beautiful thing (hopefully not too much of a beautiful thing). The decent 500mb feature and longwave trough being modeled that drives this doesn't look overly complicated either, e.g. needing a thread the needle phase to make it pop. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-8163200.thumb.png.541b5234696f6f8f9c71b29fc7c5d577.png

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Wsmptwx FTW on the 12z Euro haha. The Kuchera map gave him about 30". 

This seems to have a pretty solid showing on the ensembles today, even on the Canadian ensembles where the op whiffed today at 12z.  This potential event definitely has my attention now. That NAO over the top blocking driving the storm track down is definitely a beautiful thing (hopefully not too much of a beautiful thing). The decent 500mb feature and longwave trough being modeled that drives this doesn't look overly complicated either, e.g. needing a thread the needle phase to make it pop. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-8163200.thumb.png.541b5234696f6f8f9c71b29fc7c5d577.png

Thanks MAG! Building up excitement here.

Hey all, there's cause to rejoice. About 35 - 40% of the 12 EPS give THV/LNS/MDT 6"+ snow in the next 10 calendar days. About 50% give HZL and MPO 6"+ during the same time. There's been a marked shift to colder, wetter solutions. Hopefully they hold, because it appears we are entering a period of colder storms and some folks here stand the chance of a white Christmas.

• Like 5