Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021

MAG5035

4 hours ago, daxx said:

We all really need to let last Winter go.  I'm not saying forget it, because it will happen again. I think we should not take every model run to heart as well this year. I know its hard not to get sucked into evey model run good or bad, but not doing that is a lot easier on the mind and soul.  My thinking is we will have more opportunities this year. Will it be a blockbuster winter? I don't think so, but there is always the possibility.  It only takes one big event to change everything. I'm going with 22-32 for MDT.  I hope everyone is doing well. 

Welcome back! I like your Winter thoughts as well!

7 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I think we should keep some perspective on the fact that Harrisburg has had 5 above average winters just in the last decade (5 of the last 7 winters to be more specific). I mean you can put the asterisk on 2015-16 that like 30 of the 39 inches came from Jonas but then you'd have to do the same thing for 82-83 that featured the 83 blizzard in that super Nino winter as well (25 of the 36"). 

MDTsnowChart.thumb.png.11cab57609c679501abc41a9b30c0b7e.png

So yea last year sucked, I think we're all aware of that. But I can pick out collective bad periods (88-92, 96-02, 05-09, 11-13, etc), or overall just point out that in this 40 year chart that 23/40 were below the mean and close to half (17 winters) were 75% or less of the mean. If we end up stringing together a few lackluster winters in a row the next couple years, it's definitely not something that hasn't happened before. Obviously it's a different story if we stack up several winters in close proximity as historically bad as last winter, but until such a point I look at last winter as an anomaly where an even more anomalous weather pattern (unprecedented +AO regime) had a big part in it. 

This is the best post of the year! 
We have been on a great snow run this decade. We were due for a clunker last year and delivered in historic fashion.

This season can only get better!

I am getting fired up for the potential that next week could bring in the winter weather department around here.

6 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We've (LSV specific) have been spoiled rotten since 2003 with big daddy snowstorms. After suffering from the '83 blizzard pretty much up until the '93 winter, the past year or two while frustrating, does not compare to that stretch. 

Patience...

Well said good sir.
We have been spoiled, but I wouldn’t mind getting spoiled some more this year!

5 hours ago, pasnownut said:

another positive takeaway is that we are seeing subtle shifts in a favorable direction for next week. Thats something we'll all agree on.....cept Tamaqua boy :). 

Yes!

There were good trends on the models today for next week. We might have a couple of chances to get on the snow board next week.

The AO and NAO look to stay negative over the next 2 weeks. The pattern looks active. 
I’m looking forward to the 0z runs tonight.

43 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Covid related?

Yes.  Increasing restrictions once again.  Go buy wood now, because much will be used to board up businesses that are hanging on by a thread.  Hell, California is now starting to wake up and see how bad restrictions are affecting their own economy.  We can do this w/o draconian measures.  I now own 5 masks....and hate every one of em but by and large were all good soldiers and doing our part.

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yes.  Increasing restrictions once again.  Go buy wood now, because much will be used to board up businesses that are hanging on by a thread.  Hell, California is now starting to wake up and see how bad restrictions are affecting their own economy.  We can do this w/o draconian measures.  I now own 5 masks....and hate every one of em but by and large were all good soldiers and doing our part.

I know we all got to do our part but just how is it spreading so much about 98% of the people I see are wearing masks when i go to wally world. I think it spreading a lot of other ways too.

4 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I know we all got to do our part but just how is it spreading so much about 98% of the people I see are wearing masks when i go to wally world. I think it spreading a lot of other ways too.

thats the $10mm question that spurs much debate.  I see the same (not at wallys world, just at my local places of business that i patronize).  I have opinions and my own answers to things, but wont get into that.  Just sucks in many different ways for so many.  All the best to my weather weenie crew in the next bump in the road. 

28 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yes. Hospital systems are going to be without doctor coverage next week.

It’s mainly closing indoor dining and theaters as that is - aside from home parties - the biggest spread 

When's the last time you saw a doctor in the wild? Any of you? I think they've all been replaced by Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. We have been without doctor coverage since 2010. 

• Like 1

Susquehanna-Northern Wayne-Wyoming-Lackawanna-Luzerne-Pike-
Southern Wayne-
1013 AM EST Wed Dec 9 2020

...Moderate snow is across the area causing slippery roads...

Moderate snow is across much of central New York and northeast
Pennsylvania. Snowfall rates are up to 1 inch an hour.
Visibilities at times have been reduced to below half a mile.
Light to moderate snow will slowly taper off through 1 PM from
west to east. Total snowfall amounts could be up to 2 or 3
inches. Roads have become snow covered and slippery even on some
highways. Slow down and allow extra time to reach your
destination.

It figures right when I get doctors permission to start working again we close down. Granted, we are mask Nazis at my restaurant, but not a single employee has tested positive the past 9 months despite a lot of testing. I think I need to play the lottery

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk