Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 4th-5th, 2020 Nor'easter

wdrag

47 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

One of the reasons this storm is trending snowier for interior areas is the 50/50 feature that was not expected earlier.  Instead of a ridge east of main it’s north of that area. 

The only reason this isn’t snow for the entire area is because the pna ridge is to flat. This is just another example of having bad luck in a small window of opportunity 

757E510A-9280-4026-84CA-FBD04D522A30.png

thats what I'm wondering about- why was the 50/50 "not expected"  we used to have these kinds of errors 30 years ago too, seems like some situations are so complex that the prediction error has remained about the same as back then.  Fair weather can be predicted just fine, even mid range cold and mild shots, but the things we really care about, like storms like this, they're just as unpredictable as they ever were.  Even 2 days out lol

Just now, MJO812 said:

I mean the tellies are good for a coastal snowstorm ( negative NAO, negative AO and positive PNA ). I hate giving up chances when things are starting to align.

Yup, I'm just opening this is the beginning of a nice window and we'll score a hit or two in the next two weeks when it'll be much colder than it is now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

thats what I'm wondering about- why was the 50/50 "not expected"  we used to have these kinds of errors 30 years ago too, seems like some situations are so complex that the prediction error has remained about the same as back then.  Fair weather can be predicted just fine, even mid range cold and mild shots, but the things we really care about, like storms like this, they're just as unpredictable as they ever were.  Even 2 days out lol

@bluewave any input? Is this from the ridge off maine moving north? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

In 3k Nam we trust

image.thumb.png.588682539060ae5abd9057d921330137.png

LOL, that would give me 12” where I live 100’ above Rt 110 and some slush down there probably. Gotta love that model. I mean maybe if this goes ballistic and upper levels close off overhead here instead of over RI/MA, there’s an angels in the outfield chance for snow near the coast. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

going to be tough right on the coast for BOS

It can be just fine for them if the upper low closes off and dynamics detonate overhead. Winds turn NNE and it’s all snow and heavy there. They had over 4” in the Oct storm, they can definitely do well now (not that it’s favored at this point). 

19 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

LOL, that would give me 12” where I live 100’ above Rt 110 and some slush down there probably. Gotta love that model. I mean maybe if this goes ballistic and upper levels close off overhead here instead of over RI/MA, there’s an angels in the outfield chance for snow near the coast. 

If it goes ballistic just east of sne, LI could get into some CCB action. 

11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Nice deformation band signal on the 3k NAM. Temperatures for interior NJ and Southeast NY look to be in the mid-30's but the rest of the column is cool so we could see a changeover to a heavy wet snow inland on Saturday morning.

nam3km_temp_adv_fgen_700_neus_52.png

Great post. I think the northern shore of LI should watch also 

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

If the gfs is correct we could see heavy wet snow at like 35-36F that doesn't accumulate. 

Higher elevations could see grassy surfaces turn white.

It's been cold around here since the big thaw last weekend. Had a hard frost this morning. Ground certainly isn't frozen but with low sun angle and it being December it should accumulate away from the coast if it comes down even moderately. North shore of LI looks good too.

• Like 1

On a side note, this is my favorite type of storm. Overrunning well out ahead comes in Friday late afternoon. Then storm really cranks overnight into Saturday morning as low tracks from ACY to Cape Cod. Would be a perfect track for a crippling, long duration blizzard if the Northern piece was able to get out ahead a tad more.

12z GFS has 6"+ for Springfield and NW CT. We're not missing this by much.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

@bluewave any input? Is this from the ridge off maine moving north? 

I think the main problem was all the antecedent warmth this November. So the big +PNA spike trapped the Pacific air in place. Had this November been cold like last year, the snowfall totals we are seeing to the NW on the models would be closer to the coast. But maybe we can get some flakes down to the coast at the very end of the storm.

• Like 2