Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2020

George BM

10 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I don’t need to tell you this, but that’s already been happening. It might surprise some to learn that although this is the “shortest” day of the year, the sunsets have been getting later for about the past two weeks. But that has been offset by the sunrises which have also been getting later. Sunrises continue to get later and later until early January (perihelion), but after today, the difference in sunrise times is no longer at a bigger difference than sunset times.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/12/the-astronomical-hijinks-of-the-shortest-day-of-the-year/282109/

Already knew that. Works in reverse in summer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think I’ve said this before but in case I haven’t ... Washington is now in possession of a team name that is absolute gold. It’s the most awesome name in professional sports and its not even close.

Their actual name, or what many of us have started to call them? Because I definitely vote for the What the F*** Team 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

Hey guys serious question....does jelly go bad?

If you leave it opened in your fridge for a very long time, yea you will have a science experiment. That being said jelly/jam does not last long here so only once did I ever find a jar that got shoved back in the fridge to turn into an experiment. 

On another note... Happy Winter Solstice! Or as Equestrians call it the start of getting our daylight back to ride!:D 

winter2.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 87storms said:

I thought about doing billy goat recently but probably would do B or C.  I don't know about those rocks/cliff on A when it's slick lol (i'm assuming that section is closed).  great spot, though.  blockhouse point is sneaky good, too.  tried that one over the summer.  it's not technical, but it hits the c and o which adds some flavor to it.

So there were definitely some slick spots but no, it was not closed at all hahaha. The rocks were mostly navigable. The sun had dried them up enough to where most didn't have any real ice or snow on them. It was dicey in a few spots but honestly, the bridge to the falls was more sketchy (completely ice slicked) than the dried out rocks.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Even if its been opened, it should last at least a year if its been kept refrigerated.  If there is any organic growth on it (like mold) or if it has a strong smell like wine, you need to toss it.

I make my own jellies/jams, and I can say that this is certainly true. We opened on Thanksgiving an apricot pepper jelly I made like 5-6 years ago (canned in a hot water bath). Smelled, looked, and tasted like I had made it the day before!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I make my own jellies/jams, and I can say that this is certainly true. We opened on Thanksgiving an apricot pepper jelly I made like 5-6 years ago (canned in a hot water bath). Smelled, looked, and tasted like I had made it the day before!

It's almost like you made a preserve!!

22 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

So there were definitely some slick spots but no, it was not closed at all hahaha. The rocks were mostly navigable. The sun had dried them up enough to where most didn't have any real ice or snow on them. It was dicey in a few spots but honestly, the bridge to the falls was more sketchy (completely ice slicked) than the dried out rocks.

I love that trail!  I just discovered it this year and I only live about 35 miles away in Catonsville.  It is a great workout and scenery is amazing.  

Thanks for this report.. cause we were just talking about doing it yesterday but we werent sure about whether or not it was too slippery or dangerous.

1 hour ago, WVclimo said:

Even if its been opened, it should last at least a year if its been kept refrigerated.  If there is any organic growth on it (like mold) or if it has a strong smell like wine, you need to toss it.

I have some in my garage fridge which I think might be around 7 years old.  I'll have to go check it out.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic