Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

The negativity in the main thread-

boggles me, I’ve almost gone 3 years without meaningful snow and the pattern coming up is the best pattern I’ve had since the last good snow.  It may not snow but that’s become the norm.  Lighten up people and enjoy the holiday season 

Thanks. Glad I am not the only one thinking this.

3 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

It was that storm along with the 2 in January that put us on the path to getting a new house with a garage. Mr. J grew up in the South and our old townhome had parking spots. Him and I digging out two cars three times was enough for him. And I grew up in OH where a garage was almost standard. And you used it to park your cars in. Found a townhome with a double car garage and he has been a happy camper. 

Digging out cars on the street or a townhome parking lot really sucks.  Although the only “fun” part is when everyone is doing it together and it turns into a bit of a neighborhood block party.  I remember in the Jan 2016 blizzard one of our neighbors took his grill out front and grilled burgers and hot dogs, and others brought out beer/drinks...it was fun. That said, a garage still beats that. :D

We’re probably going to move in the spring/summer timeframe from our townhouse and up there on the list is a garage.  You did the smart thing!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prestige Worldwide said:

We get blocking for the first time in a decade but no cold air to lock in.  Meh 

Not for nothing, but the magical season of 09-10 was NOT that cold. At all. Just lined up enough cold at the right times to cash in. But it was pretty seasonal/warm in- between storms (and after). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Not for nothing, but the magical season of 09-10 was NOT that cold. At all. Just lined up enough cold at the right times to cash in. But it was pretty seasonal/warm in- between storms (and after). 

We had a crappy rain storm on Xmas in 09 that washed away most of the Dec 19 snow

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

We had a crappy rain storm on Xmas in 09 that washed away most of the Dec 19 snow

We did indeed. And it was warm for the next several weeks after - I recall Ji being beside himself in particular. It turned late month when we got those two events including that surprise Saturday snow ahead of the first of the Feb big dogs that came just far enough north. Cold had returned by then, but we went a good five weeks of not-that-cold. And then after the second Feb monster, we were done. Got warm pretty quickly.

LOL the Ravens may very well finish 11-5, and miss the playoffs.

That happened to the Broncos years ago, the same season the Browns won their division with an 8-8 record. The team formerly known as the Redskins were 10-6 that year, and also missed the playoffs. And no I didn't even have to google that. I don't remember the exact year though, but it was in the late 80s I believe.

20 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That happened to the Broncos years ago, the same season the Browns won their division with an 8-8 record. The team formerly known as the Redskins were 10-6 that year, and also missed the playoffs. And no I didn't even have to google that. I don't remember the exact year though, but it was in the late 80s I believe.

I just looked it up- it was 1985. The only other team to miss the playoffs with an 11-5 record was the 2008 Patriots.

6 hours ago, GATECH said:

@Always in Zugzwang Yep, grew up in Atlanta, went to Colorado to study Meteorology, but the school stunk, literally, U. Of N. Colorado in Greeley, if the winds blew from the east, we got the stench of the cattle feed lots, LOL.  still have my laminated skew-T chart somewhere.Transferred to GT and studied International affairs, undergrad and Grad.  Graduated grad school in 98, then moved up here.   Loved my time at GT and growing up in the Atlanta area, but was ready for a change.  Totally agree, if you know the cool places and little nieghborhoods, it’s lots of fun.  Use to hang out a lot at that Bar/Restaurant at Piedmont park back then.

That was Tuck, picture is from the end of the storm after 20in.  He was standing and was just kinda stuck.  Have a lab now, named ‘Thunder’ lol.  He has never seen snow, can’t wait for that to happen!

Cool!  Our time there at GT may have even overlapped it appears (completed my Ph.D. in 1999, was in the area from 1994-2001).  I think I know that bar/restaurant you're referring to right on Piedmont Park, but offhand cannot recall the name.  Probably changed hands since then anyhow.  I used to live close to that shopping plaza near the corner of Monroe and 8th St., some interesting places there at the time.  Also liked the Virginia Highlands area.  I haven't been back  in many years (too long, I should visit again!), but still have a couple of friends I'm in touch with regularly.  We used to get some damn fine martinis over at the Highland Tap (in the VA Highlands area)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Gotta have a little faith, dude...we win out, I am almost sure one of the other games will go our way. Think about it...the other teams ahead of us would have to win out as well. Not impossible...but I'm not sure of how probable it is. Besides, we've been through too much to go out like that...I think we get something to go our way.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic