• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2020

George BM

Kind of odd how many people have told me in past few days -- ranging from friends to the grocery clerk -- that "I hear a snowstorm is coming for Christmas" or "I hear we are going to have a White Christmas".... Who is spreading this? And based off what this far ahead of time? That frontal passage??? I haven't watched local weather, but are they really already saying this? If so, seems like somebody is setting people up for a possible big disappointment. ...

12 hours ago, WVclimo said:

I was traveling on business the week of the ‘96 event. On Thursday afternoon I checked into a motel in Lancaster, PA and flipped on the TV to find PSU’s “Weather World” broadcast.  They put up a weekend forecast map of the mid-Atlantic centered on PA that had graphics laid across the whole area that read “BIG SNOWS” in all-caps.  They were forecasting 1-2’.  Way ahead of NWS on that storm.

Friday afternoon I was leaving Seacaucus, NJ wrapping up the trip and saw a bank thermometer that read 3°.  That’s when I knew we might be in great shape.

There used to be a great discussion archived by Gary Gray on all the models each day that week. The Euro was closest to reality but it’s kind of a myth that it nailed it. From his discussion it seemed the euro most of the week was further north and did get more snow then the American guidance into our area but it was by no means close to reality. I think NWS was splitting the difference with a 3-6” forecast between the American guidance that had barely anything in DC and the euro that showed like 6-10”. 

9 hours ago, chris21 said:

Early March 2014 adjusted south at the last minute right?

It did but it also trended weaker and strung out. A lobe of the tpv rotated on top of it and squashed the system. From 72 hours it looked like a 20” snowstorm in PA and it ended up a 4-8” snow in VA. It wasn’t really last minute though. The shift happened around 48 hours. I was up in PA that year and by the last 36 hours knew we were screwed. 

Happy Anniversary @mappy!  Dec 19 was one of my favorite DC snowstorms, seen them all since 1998 when I moved to DC, something about a Blizzard just before Christmas was magical though!  Plus I was hammered Blizzard eve at my work Christmas party, stumbling home as it was starting...and yes the snow was up to my Golden’s eyeballs that evening!

30E1247E-4AD3-4C60-8F18-76DD63024EE3.jpeg

8DC9BB3F-261A-471D-A6C1-2E2BFA8A3C8E.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

There used to be a great discussion archived by Gary Gray on all the models each day that week. The Euro was closest to reality but it’s kind of a myth that it nailed it. From his discussion it seemed the euro most of the week was further north and did get more snow then the American guidance into our area but it was by no means close to reality. I think NWS was splitting the difference with a 3-6” forecast between the American guidance that had barely anything in DC and the euro that showed like 6-10”. 

I remember Gary’s model rundowns well.  I think I have his posts during the lead up to that storm saved on a disk somewhere.  Always a valued read when model runs took so long to view on dial-up.  Shame the guy was always pressed for time ;) 

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Definitely a good one . I remember that uber alltime great cutoff the Nam showed within 48 hours maybe 36 . Like 1 inch at the Pa line and 2 feet near i70 lol. Crazy shit . I still have to go with 2-10-10 as the best of the 3 HECS that year .

yup, I remember that. That was the first year I got into tracking. It was so easy! And I remember people even posted the SREFs back then. Oh how times have changed lol

garrett county got over 100” of snow just in February 2010. I wish we had our house here back then...I can’t even imagine that much  

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

yup, I remember that. That was the first year I got into tracking. It was so easy! And I remember people even posted the SREFs back then. Oh how times have changed lol

garrett county got over 100” of snow just in February 2010. I wish we had our house here back then...I can’t even imagine that much  

You forgot the DGEX lol

9 hours ago, nj2va said:

12/19/09 definitely a top storm for me. Cold powder for 95 is hard to get, especially in December. 

It was that storm along with the 2 in January that put us on the path to getting a new house with a garage. Mr. J grew up in the South and our old townhome had parking spots. Him and I digging out two cars three times was enough for him. And I grew up in OH where a garage was almost standard. And you used it to park your cars in. Found a townhome with a double car garage and he has been a happy camper. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, WhiteoutMD said:

I remember when the GFS would have a fantasy snowstorm in the long range almost once a day during its daily model runs. Now we can’t even get it to show snow over us in the long range. emoji14.png

The ensemble mean is quite high though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Happy Snowversary to ya!! :lol:Wow...a wedding can't get much better than that!

12 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Happy Anniversary @mappy

12 hours ago, GATECH said:

Happy Anniversary @mappy!  Dec 19 was one of my favorite DC snowstorms, seen them all since 1998 when I moved to DC, something about a Blizzard just before Christmas was magical though!  Plus I was hammered Blizzard eve at my work Christmas party, stumbling home as it was starting...and yes the snow was up to my Golden’s eyeballs that evening!

Thanks guys! 

• Like 2

Oh dang I didn't even remember it being classified as a blizzard--wow!!

• Like 1

Great screen-capture of that!  I saved a bunch of stuff from all those storms that winter, mostly model data.

Cute dog, by the way!  Hard to tell if he's playing, or lying there comfortably thinking "now *this* makes a nice bed!!":lol:

BTW, was curious and meaning to ask when you were at GA Tech (going by your name here!)?  I went to grad school there, long ago last century in the late '90s, and continued living in the Atlanta area afterward until 2001 when I moved up this way.  Really liked Atlanta for the most part, to be honest!  I've told people that it's not exactly what one would call a "tourist town", but if you live there, you know the places to go!  Ran the Peachtree a few times, too (could never do that again now, haha!)...nice to have it finish practically right in my back yard when I was living near Piedmont Park!  Alas, all my fine Peachtree T-shirts are now gone, having worn out some time ago!  Might still have one of those long-sleeve ones from the GT 5K run around campus that they had every November.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Great screen-capture of that!  I saved a bunch of stuff from all those storms that winter, mostly model data.

Cute dog, by the way!  Hard to tell if he's playing, or lying there comfortably thinking "now *this* makes a nice bed!!":lol:

BTW, was curious and meaning to ask when you were at GA Tech (going by your name here!)?  I went to grad school there, long ago last century in the late '90s, and continued living in the Atlanta area afterward until 2001 when I moved up this way.  Really liked Atlanta for the most part, to be honest!  I've told people that it's not exactly what one would call a "tourist town", but if you live there, you know the places to go!  Ran the Peachtree a few times, too (could never do that again now, haha!)...nice to have it finish practically right in my back yard when I was living near Piedmont Park!  Alas, all my fine Peachtree T-shirts are now gone, having worn out some time ago!  Might still have one of those long-sleeve ones from the GT 5K run around campus that they had every November.

@Always in Zugzwang Yep, grew up in Atlanta, went to Colorado to study Meteorology, but the school stunk, literally, U. Of N. Colorado in Greeley, if the winds blew from the east, we got the stench of the cattle feed lots, LOL.  still have my laminated skew-T chart somewhere.Transferred to GT and studied International affairs, undergrad and Grad.  Graduated grad school in 98, then moved up here.   Loved my time at GT and growing up in the Atlanta area, but was ready for a change.  Totally agree, if you know the cool places and little nieghborhoods, it’s lots of fun.  Use to hang out a lot at that Bar/Restaurant at Piedmont park back then.

That was Tuck, picture is from the end of the storm after 20in.  He was standing and was just kinda stuck.  Have a lab now, named ‘Thunder’ lol.  He has never seen snow, can’t wait for that to happen!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic