Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Amen!!  I've got the entire suite of his symphonies, Cleveland Orchestra recordings with George Szell as conductor.  Also another copy of the 9th (my favorite), Cleveland Orchestra with Christoph von Dohnanyi.  I was fortunate enough to hear the 9th live two times while in Atlanta in the late '90s, with the Atlanta Symphony.  Once was with a guest conductor (can't recall who at the moment), and the other time was with Yoel Levi (their regular conductor/musical director at the time).  That included the Atlanta Symphony Chorus, still heavily influenced by the great Robert Shaw.

Quint, from Jaws?

• Haha 1

The CC feature might be great technology but technology also gave me almost a foot of snow a few days ago and the same technology took it away.  So I might not "love" technology as much as some of y'all

Now let me use my smart phone to order off Amazon and get it tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

The CC feature might be great technology but technology also gave me almost a foot of snow a few days ago and the same technology took it away.  So I might not "love" technology as much as some of y'all

Now let me use my smart phone to order off Amazon and get it tomorrow.

Yeah...it’s cool and all, but it’s so goddamn depressing. Let us just enjoy what’s falling and pretend that we don’t know that the flip is exactly 9.23 miles away.

F off with that noise.

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Yeah...it’s cool and all, but it’s so goddamn depressing. Let us just enjoy what’s falling and pretend that we don’t know that the flip is exactly 9.23 miles away.

F off with that noise.

C'mon mattie.  This storm you didn't even need to question school closings.  Small victories. 

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

C'mon mattie.  This storm you didn't even need to question school closings.  Small victories. 

True.

But I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited a out the prospect of my kids playing in the snow than I was for today. My wife made sure that they got out while the gettin’ was good. She’s a keeper!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

A huge chunk of this forum will beat their annual total from last year and we're not even into our prime snow climo period.....I call that a HUGE win regardless of what happens with the rest of this storm. Something GOOD to remember about 2020 at least.....

Very true!  Of course, I could piss ice cubes onto sun-scorched blacktop pavement in mid-July and surpass last winter's snow total!!  (Not that I've tried that, LOL!!)

And agree, this event is one of the few bright spots of 2020.  Nice to have something wintry in December!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

105 OH beers for me. Yikes!

My man! We are super close with those OH numbers. Hahaha. I bought this one the other day in hopes the name of the beer would be good luck...but alas...cue the price as right horn...and more effing pingers. :lol: 

F57E5F08-A786-49CD-9DCA-EF8C763A7C60.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

been looking at condos in ski country today while it rains. Some of them are pretty cheap -- maybe once I get a solid job. 

Ha.  I did the same thing but want a house.  Looking at Wisp or Snowshoe?  Wisp is easier to get to.  Snowshoe has arguably better skiing.  

9 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Ha.  I did the same thing but want a house.  Looking at Wisp or Snowshoe?  Wisp is easier to get to.  Snowshoe has arguably better skiing.  

I was looking at Snowshoe since someone mentioned it was cheap earlier. Looking at Wisp it actually looks cheaper if I'm just looking for a condo to escape to for marginal events and then rent out the rest of the year. Hmmm...

5 hours ago, wxtrix said:

they are super sticky so a well-greased pan is essential. I haven't tried using parchment paper because i love the crispy edges and corners.   I am going to make some butter press-out cookies later today or tomorrow.  I made chicken stock over the weekend for soup tonight and I need to get started on a loaf of bread instead of staring out the window at the snow.

So my daughter made these. OH MY they are so good!!! Thank you for the tip on the recipe. :D

This will go down as the worst winter storm ever for me... I say this with a heavy heart.. earlier today my son took our Great Dane out to play in the snow... as he was galloping through the snow he collapsed and suddenly died.. he was extremely healthy.. it makes no sense.. I had to put him in the car in the front yard and take him to the vet to get him cremated.. 

It happened in front of all the neighbors... I feel like this isnt real or something...

• Sad 20

9 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

This will go down as the worst winter storm ever for me... I say this with a heavy heart.. earlier today my son took our Great Dane out to play in the snow... as he was galloping through the snow he collapsed and suddenly died.. he was extremely healthy.. it makes no sense.. I had to put him in the car in the front yard and take him to the vet to get him cremated.. 

It happened in front of all the neighbors... I feel like this isnt real or something...

I am so very sorry for your loss. You have my thoughts. 

41 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I was looking at Snowshoe since someone mentioned it was cheap earlier. Looking at Wisp it actually looks cheaper if I'm just looking for a condo to escape to for marginal events and then rent out the rest of the year. Hmmm...

Snowshoe definitely has better skiing (and gets more snow) but Wisp is more of a 4 season area given Deep Creek Lake.  Wisp is also easier to get to which is why we decided on McHenry instead of Snowshoe.  But Snowshoe definitely has more of a “snow village” feeling which I liked when we went there for my 30th a few years ago...Wisp seriously lacks that but does have stuff in the area in McHenry, Swanton, and Oakland.   

You really can’t go wrong with either if/when you make the jump.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Omg, that’s terrible.  I’m sorry for you and your family.  I know what its like to lose a pet suddenly and its not easy.  While the saying is cliche, time heals but it won’t be easy...I hope your son is okay...I’m sure that wasn’t easy for him to see.  You’re in my prayers. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic