Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2020

George BM

Just now, catoctin wx said:

I've been away for so long that I need to reorient myself to the weenie meltdown craziness.

The kids are going to be turned up to 11 today so the earlier the snow starts the better

I told the kids snow starting around 10am. I’m going to get pestered every minute after 10am if it’s not...

1 minute ago, catoctin wx said:

I've been away for so long that I need to reorient myself to the weenie meltdown craziness.

The kids are going to be turned up to 11 today so the earlier the snow starts the better

it always starts earlier, and ends earlier. i made sure the ipad was fully charged overnight for prime radar viewing while working. :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Yesterday evening my daughter asked if I could show her “my” radar. I told her there wasn’t anything to show her at that point but I’d show her today. 

Im not sure she knows the difference between radar and a model...

Love it! Mine is very familiar with radar, she's been watching it with me since she was 2. gotta start them early. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mappy said:

Love it! Mine is very familiar with radar, she's been watching it with me since she was 2. gotta start them early. 

Funny how times change!  I remember when radar first came to TV weathermen.  I watched WJZ (Bob Turk aka the Sunshine Kid!) and it was called "Sky Eye".  No real definition just yellow blobs overhead that let you know it was doing something.  And when it wasn't doing anything it was called ground clutter.

Now we have access to realtime (well as close as we can get to it) NX88 anywhere there's a cell signal - in our pockets.

Well, decided to head up to my parents house in the Hudson Valley of NY where I grew up.  Haven’t visited in about a year and I figure why not bring the kids up there for a real storm.   Their house sits at about 700 feet of elevation and usually does pretty well in these kind of coastal space.  Forecast is 12-18 but you never know with these things. 

• Like 6

Happy 250th birthday to THIS dude...the man, the myth, the legend, and one of the greatest and most influential composers of all time, LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN! :thumbsup:

I am so glad it's Beethoven day (make it a holiday :D)--a perfect remedy for the current snow fail! Listen to some Beethoven today everyone! (Classical WETA 90.9 is playing Beethoven all day today...and I'm lovin' every minute of it!)

Beethoven.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Excited for the western folks of this forum to cash in big time!! I don't know why people see other people getting big totals as some sort of reason to get angry, for me it's all the more motivation to move out of this urban beltway hellhole when I'm old enough 

Trust me, when you’re forced to live down near the beltway for work and you hear stories of relatives in Boston getting feet of snow in a week, it hurts. Glad some on this sub can do well. Gets a little easier each time DC gets screwed.

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Happy 250th birthday to THIS dude...the man, the myth, the legend, and one of the greatest and most influential composers of all time, LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN! :thumbsup:

I am so glad it's Beethoven day (make it a holiday :D)--a perfect remedy for the current snow fail! Listen to some Beethoven today everyone! (Classical WETA 90.9 is playing Beethoven all day today...and I'm lovin' every minute of it!)

Beethoven.jpg

Amen!!  I've got the entire suite of his symphonies, Cleveland Orchestra recordings with George Szell as conductor.  Also another copy of the 9th (my favorite), Cleveland Orchestra with Christoph von Dohnanyi.  I was fortunate enough to hear the 9th live two times while in Atlanta in the late '90s, with the Atlanta Symphony.  Once was with a guest conductor (can't recall who at the moment), and the other time was with Yoel Levi (their regular conductor/musical director at the time).  That included the Atlanta Symphony Chorus, still heavily influenced by the great Robert Shaw.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Amen!!  I've got the entire suite of his symphonies, Cleveland Orchestra recordings with George Szell as conductor.  Also another copy of the 9th (my favorite), Cleveland Orchestra with Christoph von Dohnanyi.  I was fortunate enough to hear the 9th live two times while in Atlanta in the late '90s, with the Atlanta Symphony.  Once was with a guest conductor (can't recall who at the moment), and the other time was with Yoel Levi (their regular conductor/musical director at the time).  That included the Atlanta Symphony Chorus, still heavily influenced by the great Robert Shaw.

Awesome!! (and a few months ago I was looking listening to Shaw directing the choir when Toscanini did an NBC broadcast of the 9th...a lot of awesomeness on that stage, lol

But yeah man I'm gonna be listening to Beethoven all day...and I recorded myself playing Moonlight yesterday--in honor of the big day...still debating on whether to put it on YouTube though, lol Been awhile since my recital, but I couldn't let the day go by without doing something! Beethoven is AWESOME!!

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic