Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Can you imagine how bad model threads will be when there are models with resolution down to like 100m. 

"I'm 100 yards from the changeover ugh"

"This storm is a bust, I'm getting 0.2 inches less than my neighbor"

When your neighbor get's 0.2" then yeah...that's pretty bad.

This only sucks because we watched the progression from nothing to building potential to several runs supporting a significant snowfall for many then the gradual decline speeding up to the head on collision with climo. If for some reason we saw this threat last night for the first time we'd probably be like hey look i'll take that for mid December over 60 and sunny. But.....alas....we don't live there anymore. :(

• Like 1

Fire up the panic room.

Last night Mappy was talking about the real Phineas in the storm thread. Sounded interesting so I looked it up. Here is a pretty interesting short article on the guy if you want to read something non weather related. I had never heard of this story. So thanks for giving me something to take my mind off of the NAM. 

https://www.verywellmind.com/phineas-gage-2795244

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

This is starting to remind me of the storms when I was a kid.  A 2 - 4" thump, and then 35 and drizzle.  Great snowball weather, but damn you came home soaked.

I remember the hand me down snow pants from my older brother that I’d use in those setups.  They would weigh 75 pounds by the time I got inside from all the water it absorbed.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

This is starting to remind me of the storms when I was a kid.  A 2 - 4" thump, and then 35 and drizzle.  Great snowball weather, but damn you came home soaked.

This storm would have been much better if it snuck up on us. If the models had run in reverse from what they did and been all warm rain for days until showing this 24 hours out. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

This storm would have been much better if it snuck up on us. If the models had run in reverse from what they did and been all warm rain for days until showing this 24 hours out. 

Those storms are the best. It looks like 40 and rain at D3 then BAM you're sitting at 5" - 9" and NWS is playing big time catchup. 

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I feel the most for Ji he worked so hard to get the models to show snow. I'm sure he is devastated right now hopefully he will recover quickly 

DT told me that it was because he stopped posting.  When that happened the storm went to kaka

12 minutes ago, nj2va said:

How do you think his Facebook cult will respond to a new forecast of a flood watch for Leesburg?

He actually made a reasonable post today because you can't sugarcoat a massive turd like this....of course that means he will probably come on here later and blow things up

• Like 1

Just now, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Didn't the NAM lead the way in the Boxing Day disaster too?

Yea...the NAM only leads up to disaster. I'm REALLY  hoping the NAM is wrong but man it's hard to ignore. @PhineasC talked about how we can sometimes get a rouge SE bump by like 25 - 50 miles and brother do we need it now more than ever.

I remember a storm way back in 1978 in Kettering, MD where they were saying a brief period of snow, then rain with a low passing over the area.  I was bummed.  I remember walking home from school looking at the smooth overcast sky and how sharp the cold felt and thought how much it sux that it's gonna rain.

Light snow started in the evening and turned heavy quickly.  We got a completely unexpected front end thump with 5-7" in about three hours or so.  The news broke in with special reports.  It was so fun!  When the changeover happened later that night into the next day it was mostly drizzle and the snow stayed around with temps in the mid-30s.  The snowballs were brutal!

Models were primitive compared to now but it would be awesome to get another surprise like that.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic