Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2020

George BM

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Knowing your climo doesn't take the sting out of things though. I understand the whole idea of "if you don't like it then move," but that's just not going to happen for most people - they live with the hand they've been dealt. They just want a place to hang out and chat, and we can just hope that most are somewhat mature about it.

I know that it can get really tiresome dealing with certain people and certain reactions as a mod - been there, done that on other boards - so I really don't want to come off as preachy. Finding the middle ground of allowing people to blow of steam but not beat the dead horse too much...that's really tough to do..

im trying man. i get that some are bummed they won't do well while others will cash in just fine. hard to moderate that so i'm trying to let it be as much as i can without the thread going to full shit. 

• Like 1

Just now, wawarriors4 said:

I asked in jest yesterday, today not so much.

When does the flood watch start? We are up over an inch of rain here around Fredericksburg and still pouring. And Wednesday looks like at least another inch of rain.

The rain will be too cold for a flood watch. Warm rain expands more so a warm rain would warrant a flood watch but not this kind of rain

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, H2O said:

I wasn't that close to losing it.  When I do go off it will burn this effing place to the ground.  The map was made for lolz, not anger.  Any frustration is mainly at those who gripe over 20" instead of 24" when many in the area beg for scraps.

But there are lots of good people here living in good snow areas that are happy with what they get and don't deserve any shit thrown their way for being in a better location.  People do need to grow up some.  Myself included at times.  I'm no saint.

Brilliant :lol:

All things considered, I live in an amazing place - it just happens to not be great for snow. I'll wail and gnash my teeth a few times a year, while also placating kids whose own hopes for snow get dashed, so that sucks. But I'll come in here and be a little sarcastic and a bit snippy to bow off that steam, while trying not to derail things too much. And If I get out of hand then I deserve a smackdown, just like anyone else! :lol:

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

im trying man. i get that some are bummed they won't do well while others will cash in just fine. hard to moderate that so i'm trying to let it be as much as i can without the thread going to full shit. 

I completely understand, and I think it's going OK so far. Most folks don't realize the work that goes on behind the scenes, so I get how frustrating that can be.

I think we're a suite or two away from full melt around here. We get through that, then the acceptance phase will kick in for those of us who will be on the outside looking in.

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

I completely understand, and I think it's going OK so far. Most folks don't realize the work that goes on behind the scenes, so I get how frustrating that can be.

I think we're a suite or two away from full melt around here. We get through that, then the acceptance phase will kick in for those of us who will be on the outside looking in.

there are only two of us moderating, and i know for me, i'm working from home, and dealing with a kid in school virtually so can only juggle so much. things slip through and it may be pages before i see whats been said. doing our best. 

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Brilliant :lol:

All things considered, I live in an amazing place - it just happens to not be great for snow. I'll wail and gnash my teeth a few times a year, while also placating kids whose own hopes for snow get dashed, so that sucks. But I'll come in here and be a little sarcastic and a bit snippy to bow off that steam, while trying not to derail things too much. And If I get out of hand then I deserve a smackdown, just like anyone else! :lol:

I moved to a place where it never snows. Doesn't even tease me. My stress level is much lower. However I'm feeling anxious watching the prospects of snow dwindling away from the clotse in Northern Virginia suburbs. I don't know why but it's bothering me. It shouldn't. I'm not even in the game. I shouldn't feel this way. But I do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

I moved to a place where it never snows. Doesn't even tease me. My stress level is much lower. However I'm feeling anxious watching the prospects of snow dwindling away from the clotse in Northern Virginia suburbs. I don't know why but it's bothering me. It shouldn't. I'm not even in the game. I shouldn't feel this way. But I do. 

PTSSD

Post traumatic snow stress disorder

So...asking here so not to disrupt the flow of pure joy and light in the main thread - but if I were able to carve some time and chase this and hotel it on wednesday and what not- head up 83 to route 30 - exit and head east for a bit? Somewhere on the east side of the Susquehanna river say? Lancaster, Ephrata, Marietta, those areas look prime to miss the walking the line issues down along the fall line?

16 minutes ago, Amped said:

Also WTF is wrong with the GFS?   

Numerous upgrades  over the  years, with little or no improvement in forecasting skill in the months after the upgrade.

NAM is still the laughing stock, but GFS is providing plenty of extra comic relief this storm.  

Do you have research and results in hand to back this up scientifically? 

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

So...asking here so not to disrupt the flow of pure joy and light in the main thread - but if I were able to carve some time and chase this and hotel it and what not- head up 83 to route 30 - exit and head east for a bit? Somewhere on the east side of the Susquehanna river say? Lancaster, Ephrata, Marietta, those areas look prime to miss the walking the line issues down along the fall line?

I think @MillvilleWx would have the best answer on that, especially since his mesoscale analysis is always top notch.

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

I think @MillvilleWx would have the best answer on that, especially since his mesoscale analysis is always top notch.

Yeah - I didn't want to bother him directly. My read of his posts and everything else seems like that would be a decent spot. I don't want to hike all the way up to Allentown and I figure 30 will be targeted for regular plowing so getting back out would not be necessarily impossible, seems like a doable chase. 

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yeah - I didn't want to bother him directly. My read of his posts and everything else seems like that would be a decent spot. I don't want to hike all the way up to Allentown and I figure 30 will be targeted for regular plowing so getting back out would not be necessarily impossible, seems like a doable chase. 

Chasing is so rewarding when it succeeds. Hope it works out for you.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic