Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

14 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I won’t get into the intense banding that the 81 corridor/ish crowd will get but can make up for some of that with better ratios.  Phin also pointed out the orographic enhancement that the globals won’t pick up on yet - and the upslope snow showers that will continue after the coastal moves away.   But i think the bullseye will be somewhere in the 81 corridor-ish.

This will be my first coastal since buying the place in late 2016 so will be interesting to learn climo out there for these events.  

Lucky for you, there will be more snow in Oakland this winter :) 

Yea will be interesting to see how coastals do up there. Ive already noticed snow is just easier to come by and it sticks around longer. Scheduled to be back in the area on Sunday, hopefully will be a scenic drive coming from the west.

I'll probably be sick of snow by the end of the season... naaaaaaaa!

• Weenie 1

51 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I won’t get into the intense banding that the 81 corridor/ish crowd will get but can make up for some of that with better ratios.  Phin also pointed out the orographic enhancement that the globals won’t pick up on yet - and the upslope snow showers that will continue after the coastal moves away.   But i think the bullseye will be somewhere in the 81 corridor-ish.

This will be my first coastal since buying the place in late 2016 so will be interesting to learn climo out there for these events.  

Lucky for you, there will be more snow in Oakland this winter :) 

Its pretty amazing that Deep Creek hasnt seen a big coastal since 2016... You would think that would have been a near miss/ rainer for the Cities  that dumped up there.. but that tells you just how bad it has been.. 

I'm a kid in a candy store right now y'all.

Like, I moved here in 2016. All but one of my winters has been <12" total. 

I have never experienced a legitimate, shut everything down snowstorm in my life.

My divorce is on Wednesday. I've been waiting for it to go through for 2 years. The custody decision will happen via zoom Wednesday. If Wednesday is the day I finally get my snowstorm, I may get custody of my child and then my first major winter storm on the same day.

• Like 10

On 12/11/2020 at 9:29 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

Just so you know, I’m still thrilled with the roof. When the virus has died down, I’d enjoy having the gangster pool players over for a lesson in humility, including  you, @losetoa6, and @ravensrule. I seem to recall a conversation where you and RR played at that serious place a few blocks from here. Unfortunately, here we play for nickels. And free beer.

I haven’t played in 25 years but I would love to dust off my huge stick. 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

The best way I've learned to try and not be so jumpy during these things is I set a reasonable yet cautious bar for accumulations with a low and a high side. Until this gets locked in as long as the solution falls within my range I don't get too worked up. Now if a total rainer rears its head today I'll probably be disappointed and if all models settle on a bomb then i'll raise my expectations.  For now my low is 3" with lots of sleet/rain my high is 8" mostly snow.

ETA: yes I slumped my shoulders when I read the Euro pbp...I don't care how objective or reasonable you are if you love snow that was a burning hemmeroid run.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

The best way I've learned to try and not be so jumpy during these things is I set a reasonable yet cautious bar for accumulations with a low and a high side. Until this gets locked in as long as the solution falls within my range I don't get too worked up. Now if a total rainer rears its head today I'll probably be disappointed and if all models settle on a bomb then i'll raise my expectations.  For now my low is 3" with lots of sleet/rain my high is 8" mostly snow.

Meanwhile, Ji is running low on Valium 

• Haha 1

It’s bad enough to see model runs that have gross ass cut offs for snow. And then when you add on posts that 4 yr olds would look at and say “dude, get a grip,” it make reading threads less fun.

euro gave me 1:1 rates, thread gave me 1:4 good/bad post rates

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

ETA: yes I slumped my shoulders when I read the Euro pbp...I don't care how objective or reasonable you are if you love snow that was a burning hemmeroid run.

If you're going to be this reasonable I don't think we have a place for you here.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

It blows when a couple days of runs sets your expectations of seeing 8-12” of mostly/all snow only for a couple of subsequent runs forcing you to extrapolate the RGEM to see whether you’ll get an inch of deform after 8 hours of pouring rain, during which time folks north of us are reporting disgusting totals.

• Haha 2

Coming in here today and breaking up the snow party for just a bit to say the younger Miss J overcame her nerves and took the blue yesterday at her 2nd IEA show. 

IEA (Interscholastic Equestrian Association) is a group that rewards horsemanship, skills and equitation. You are part of a team and compete individually. The riders get assigned a horse based on their ability. And they get up with no schooling and go in the ring cold. And do not get to use their own tack. 

Her first show last month she was assigned an Arab who she had trouble with in the canter. The only class she is in is the Walk Trot Canter HS division because she excels at Equitation. She is her teams Ace in the Hole because of her Eq, and she felt horrible that she let them and herself down due to her nerves. Well the horse she pulled yesterday was a forward moving Quarter Pony mare. And she nailed it! Super proud of her for pushing through and proving to herself that she is capable and a darn good rider with the skills to ride anything. 

Back to your regularly scheduled snow programming. :snowing:

1ADF74AF-1EB6-4433-96C9-75CA9D234AB9.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It blows when a couple days of runs sets your expectations of seeing 8-12” of mostly/all snow only for a couple of subsequent runs forcing you to extrapolate the RGEM to see whether you’ll get an inch of deform after 8 hours of pouring rain, during which time folks north of us are reporting disgusting totals.

Good runs def jade some of us that mix more so that makes bad runs like the euro suck. What gets me is that you get a bad euro and it causes everyone who should know better to freak out. Let’s be real. Even the worst euro run still gets the usual places a foot of snow. They have zero reason to fret. While we get rain to wash off all the brining they are all snow. They stay all snow. Even when it lulls on radar they stay snow. They get snow when we have sunshine. They even get the birds to shit snow to add to their totals.  They stay so cold that the snow comes from the ground up, goes into the air and falls as more snow. 

But they complain and worry. While I look at RadarScope and see yellows and my wx station says 35.1° and I see the spot in my yard fill with water. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, H2O said:

Good runs def jade some of us that mix more so that makes bad runs like the euro suck. What gets me is that you get a bad euro and it causes everyone who should know better to freak out. Let’s be real. Even the worst euro run still gets the usual places a foot of snow. They have zero reason to fret. While we get rain to wash off all the brining they are all snow. They stay all snow. Even when it lulls on radar they stay snow. They get snow when we have sunshine. They even get the birds to shit snow to add to their totals.  They stay so cold that the snow comes from the ground up, goes into the air and falls as more snow. 

But they complain and worry. While I look at RadarScope and see yellows and my wx station says 35.1° and I see the spot in my yard fill with water. 

It’s a competition between you and MN Transplant for who has the saddest obs during these events. I could easily see this thing being wire-to-wire rain for you if we miss the CCB snows. 

With this year’s move to telework (even for projects requiring a clearance) and the possibility of moving to a new project with 100% telework, I’d absolutely love to move west - for both a little more space and a little more snow.

The problem is that our neighborhood is about the most idyllic you could imagine for the kids, wife, and me, so there’s basically no way we’re leaving. Good problem to have, I suppose!

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic