Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2020

George BM

9 minutes ago, DanTheMan said:

It seems VERY early to be seeing accumulation forecasts 

it's a large scale system which is probably why that's happening and it's the first legit trackable event.  cad is often times underdone (per mets), so that might be something worth keeping an eye on.  it's not an arctic airmass ala pd2 and it's mid-dec, so there'll be challenges, but i'm fine with snow to start and rolling the dice from there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I’m at like 325’ and 4-5 miles west of 95. Definitely west of the fall line and at some elevation, but too close to feel that climbing-a-pole feeling in these situations. 

Same. I’m 370-380’ two miles from 95. It helps. A lot in many situations. But still close enough to be dicey compared to the M-D line crew.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Same. I’m 370-380’ two miles from 95. It helps. A lot in many situations. But still close enough to be dicey compared to the M-D line crew.

I'm at 340' about 7 miles NW of Fredericksburg and 5 miles WNW of 95. It's different down here obviously from central or Northern Maryland, but in some marginal events, 1/8/2020 comes to mind, I can go from work and white rain to my house and 2" of snow on the ground. Probably not a big difference in this coming storm, but that extra 250-300 feet really helps at times.

41 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

27 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

I'm at 340' about 7 miles NW of Fredericksburg and 5 miles WNW of 95. It's different down here obviously from central or Northern Maryland, but in some marginal events, 1/8/2020 comes to mind, I can go from work and white rain to my house and 2" of snow on the ground. Probably not a big difference in this coming storm, but that extra 250-300 feet really helps at times.

Elevation, latitude, and longitude obviously all play a part. I’m pretty far west, all things considered, but at the lower end of elevation and with latitude not in my favor.

I do see the benefits of being west of the fall line in a lot of situations though. I’ve done better than folks inside the Beltway in marginal events, so I don’t have huge complaints in that regard. I think 12/5/2002 was one - I got like 4” or so and places 5 miles east may have gotten a coating.

I’d love to be farther west, but there are a lot of benefits to being where I am right now. I just wish more snow were one of them!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Missed all the model mayhem today . I was invited up to my buddy's newly bought lodge ( Lakestar lodge  ) in Deep Creek Lake.  It's a really beautiful spot . Wisp views are fantastic and beer is a flowing.  The owners are great people.  Here's a pic looking out my suite .Wisp opened up yesterday. 

I’ll need to stop by there sometime and say hi — there are fantastic lake, Wisp, and 4th of July firework views from there.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mdhokie said:

Does deep creek or back home do better? I'm in Kansas City so will only get to watch on my webcams :(. Just like the big one in 2016!

I won’t get into the intense banding that the 81 corridor/ish crowd will get but can make up for some of that with better ratios.  Phin also pointed out the orographic enhancement that the globals won’t pick up on yet - and the upslope snow showers that will continue after the coastal moves away.   But i think the bullseye will be somewhere in the 81 corridor-ish.

This will be my first coastal since buying the place in late 2016 so will be interesting to learn climo out there for these events.  

Lucky for you, there will be more snow in Oakland this winter :) 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic