Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December Banter 2020

George BM

9 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

she had been joking around some lately...what's wrong with a casual comment now and then?  When things get really nasty and its nothing but a litany of attacks and complaints is when we need to reign it in a little...some fun is harmless.  

Yes, very much my point.

My other point is that moving posts is not a transparent process and it is applied sporadically. Being that we’re all proud weather geeks, we understand stats greater than the average Joe and could make a strong case (statistically speaking) that the application of the process is actually a “joke” in and of itself.

Im all for some good ole fashion banter, I mean look at the New England sub-forum... they’re funny and banter mid-thread ALL of the time. They’re not moving posts at the same frequency as “Uptight Sally” or “Take it Easy Tom”, down here. It’s just simply over used, and in my opinion capability should never equally ability. Meaning, Just because you have the capability to do something, does not mean you should be able to that something, endlessly, with zero oversight. That’s an abuse of power. Not complicated.

And a mod could say that there are checks and balances, but that’s like saying “we who made the rules, enforce the rules, and do not let anyone else participate in the above process, are totally fair and transparent.” Now more than ever in today’s world, we need people to own up to a fair and transparent process of how speech, and ultimately one’s viewpoints, are handled by those who have the issuing power to disseminate that information to the public. It may seem a silly point on a weather board but it’s not. It’s the seemingly “marginal” bits of freedom we give up a little at a time that go unnoticed, until one day you realize that isn’t TRULY free speech any longer. It really adds up fast too, those marginal concessions of “eh, who cares — it’s a weather board.” 

But small bits can add up quick. Take the case of the humble penny for instance...

“If I gave you a penny on day one and each day thereafter I doubled that penny I gave you from the previous day. After thirty days how much money would I have given you?” 

It’s a lot

35 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Yes, very much my point.

My other point is that moving posts is not a transparent process and it is applied sporadically. Being that we’re all proud weather geeks, we understand stats greater than the average Joe and could make a strong case (statistically speaking) that the application of the process is actually a “joke” in and of itself.

Im all for some good ole fashion banter, I mean look at the New England sub-forum... they’re funny and banter mid-thread ALL of the time. They’re not moving posts at the same frequency as “Uptight Sally” or “Take it Easy Tom”, down here. It’s just simply over used, and in my opinion capability should never equally ability. Meaning, Just because you have the capability to do something, does not mean you should be able to that something, endlessly, with zero oversight. That’s an abuse of power. Not complicated.

And a mod could say that there are checks and balances, but that’s like saying “we who made the rules, enforce the rules, and do not let anyone else participate in the above process, are totally fair and transparent.” Now more than ever in today’s world, we need people to own up to a fair and transparent process of how speech, and ultimately one’s viewpoints, are handled by those who have the issuing power to disseminate that information to the public. It may seem a silly point on a weather board but it’s not. It’s the seemingly “marginal” bits of freedom we give up a little at a time that go unnoticed, until one day you realize that isn’t TRULY free speech any longer. It really adds up fast too, those marginal concessions of “eh, who cares — it’s a weather board.” 

But small bits can add up quick. Take the case of the humble penny for instance...

“If I gave you a penny on day one and each day thereafter I doubled that penny I gave you from the previous day. After thirty days how much money would I have given you?” 

It’s a lot

Comparing us to SNE is absurd. What’s also absurd is trying to make a small private weather board some sort of referendum on society as a whole. Government owes it to the citizenry to be transparent due to the fact it’s for the people, by the people. If this board and its owners chose to make everyone change their name to a number they owe you no explanation. It’s their board.  You CHOSE to be a part of it. 

You seem to have a certain notion as to what’s owed to you by the people who volunteer to moderate this sub forum. These people are tying to make it manageable for ALL that post here, not one or two people. Over the years the comments from most members is for more information and less clutter when storms approach. The people like yourself who seem to complain the most are the ones who just can’t accept that less blah blah blah and more info from red taggers and others well versed in this helps more than it hurts. There is another thread called banter for that purpose.  To complain that it’s an extra click to go from one place to chat to another place to read smacks of..well...laziness

i doubt you and I will ever agree on this. I see moderation at times as needed because people can’t control themselves. We see that time and time again here and in society as a whole. Sometimes that moderation will hit a member and they won’t like it. It is attempted to be applied as evenly as possible. The mods are doing this to help the board. There’s no fame or glory. 

If it bothers you so much to make this a never ending topic with you then you have every right not to be here.  To stay at a place that upsets you as much as it seems to doesn’t seem the best thing to do IMO

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Of course lol we wake up every day during winter with the inherent advantage of latitude. 

Nothing is ever truly locked outside of elevation down here. Mixing, dry slots, late transfers, poor antecedent cold...there are 1001 ways to wake up to bare pavement in the MA.

lol it’s a different world. A lot of us were pretty casual feeling by mid February 2010 and 2014. Otherwise? Naso much. 

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I lived right in the middle of the pit too back then (2014). Nothing comes easy. 

All that said, if we can’t get a megalopolis snow in this pattern, we should cancel winter now. You can’t do much better than this other than shifting the pattern to January 17th.

Yup. This is the best December pattern in years. Well, we had an excellent pattern 2 years ago and RIC on south cashed in. 

On 12/4/2020 at 3:21 PM, JakkelWx said:

Or it could start in January of 2021 and we wouldn't even know it. There's always that 1 percent chance that LR models dramatically flip from warm to cold and snowy within just a few model runs, under 7 days out and it verifies. OTOH we could be dealing with years before we get another decent winter. I'm going out on a few limbs to say that 2021-22 will be at least half decent. 2. This winter will probably be another non-winter like last year.

1. Aged like a fine wine

2. Aged like spoiled milk?

10 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Central office has been open in Carroll county since March.  I know 2 people who have been in person working at central office a couple days a week in March/ April then 4/5 days a week since. And I know for a fact they rarely ever close main office.  

Ours have been open too. But if there is too much snow on the ground for them to drive in they will close. Which is why our new snow day policy was put in place during the pandemic. It usually is if school buildings are closed but central office is open no school day. Has been changed to if there is snow and the central office does not close due to it online classes will continue. If central office is closed due to snow it will be a snow day and no online classes.  And yes they rarely ever close central office, but they had to put this out there so parents will know that a true snow day this school year will only be if central offices closes. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Anyone have suggestions as to finding a Frazier fir tree farm in the northern tier? :santa:

We got one but the tree farm closed early on Wednesday as they needed to keep stock for next year. There are a few tree farms over in VA and there is a little local garden shop in Brunswick, MD that still has trees. Not sure if they have Frazier Firs or not. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I’m sure the weenies that actually get screwed in these events really enjoy watching you and psuhoffman pretend you are going to get screwed as well only to then get the highest totals in the state and tell us all about it. I have been on these boards for a long time and this same pattern plays out every single time...

Next thing is you’ll say the storm is fringing you and “congrats to those further south!” Every damn time. 

How’s northern NH?

2 hours ago, H2O said:

Comparing us to SNE is absurd. What’s also absurd is trying to make a small private weather board some sort of referendum on society as a whole. Government owes it to the citizenry to be transparent due to the fact it’s for the people, by the people. If this board and its owners chose to make everyone change their name to a number they owe you no explanation. It’s their board.  You CHOSE to be a part of it. 

You seem to have a certain notion as to what’s owed to you by the people who volunteer to moderate this sub forum. These people are tying to make it manageable for ALL that post here, not one or two people. Over the years the comments from most members is for more information and less clutter when storms approach. The people like yourself who seem to complain the most are the ones who just can’t accept that less blah blah blah and more info from red taggers and others well versed in this helps more than it hurts. There is another thread called banter for that purpose.  To complain that it’s an extra click to go from one place to chat to another place to read smacks of..well...laziness

i doubt you and I will ever agree on this. I see moderation at times as needed because people can’t control themselves. We see that time and time again here and in society as a whole. Sometimes that moderation will hit a member and they won’t like it. It is attempted to be applied as evenly as possible. The mods are doing this to help the board. There’s no fame or glory. 

If it bothers you so much to make this a never ending topic with you then you have every right not to be here.  To stay at a place that upsets you as much as it seems to doesn’t seem the best thing to do IMO

I think your view point is quite shortsighted and narrow. We don’t have to engage in a philosophical discussion (speaking of us specifically) that’s fine. 

But if constructive criticism rubs you the wrong way then that’s your prerogative. And again, i do think that you missed the point. It’s not clicking here or there, it’s how enforcement is applied. 

Additionally, by describing someone as a volunteer you’re implying that they’re providing there time, resources, etc for the benefits of others. Most would agree that’s general purpose of a volunteer. There are some really good red taggers on here. I always enjoy reading their insight. I hope my position doesn’t continue to bother you because you seem a little annoyed tbh. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic