Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2020

George BM

1 hour ago, PivotPoint said:

I’d prefer if moderators held their personal posts to the same standard they use to monitor member posts. Seems like sometimes there is a double standard. Like for example, randomly enforcing “banter” posts that wander off topic for a post or two, but then the mod turning around two pages later and going back and forth totally off-topic just because they can. It isn’t right, that’s all.

And truthfully, it deters membership growth which is strategically critical to keeping a forum operational over the long-term. On the surface, I think that the practice of moving posts or hiding them does not appear to be both a)well articulated to members and b) applied with consistency. Furthermore, the practice is confrontational, completely subjective, and typically unilaterally enforced. Most would agree that’s no way to run an organization that values transparency and equitable treatment of its members.

Alternatively, I think moderation inside of a thread (which I’ve seen you and others do) like, “move along” or “turn the page” is way less abrasive for the member and also demonstrates a higher degree of transparency. Additionally, it allows for more thread continuity while reading, and also reinforces that moderators are actively engaged in a process of evaluation that’s fair and transparent.

Obviously, if a post is verbally offensive or in any  way inappropriate, it should be addressed completely differently by the mods. Removing or hiding  etc.

I appreciate you acknowledging my viewpoint

she had been joking around some lately...what's wrong with a casual comment now and then?  When things get really nasty and its nothing but a litany of attacks and complaints is when we need to reign it in a little...some fun is harmless.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snownut said:

Rooting for you all you East Coasters to get buried next week! 

My oldest daughter is a School Teacher in Loudoun County and with the remote schooling I am not sure how they would handle a snowday? 

We have a strong PAC flow really kicking in here again through at least Christmas. The first 11 days of this month being unusually boring & dry. 

Had the first bit of snow at my house on Nov 7th.  

75358109-3B54-476D-9A0E-F9BD3C834B47.heic 631.9 kB · 2 downloads

I am in Frederick Co MD. We are all virtual. We were told that if the central office is open and there is a snow day online learning will continue. If the central office closes there will be a snow day. 

9 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

I am in Frederick Co MD. We are all virtual. We were told that if the central office is open and there is a snow day online learning will continue. If the central office closes there will be a snow day. 

Interesting... My daughter said she goes back to all virtual beginning Monday.  She teaches grades 1-5 ESL special classes.  I know she loves her students and would rather be there with them.  Particularly after so much home time.  Her co teacher had Covid last month so my daughter had to quarantine and be tested.  She was negative.  Crazy year.  Keep safe and think SNOW!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snownut said:

Interesting... My daughter said she goes back to all virtual beginning Monday.  She teaches grades 1-5 ESL special classes.  I know she loves her students and would rather be there with them.  Particularly after so much home time.  Her co teacher had Covid last month so my daughter had to quarantine and be tested.  She was negative.  Crazy year.  Keep safe and think SNOW!

Yea they are gearing up to start Hybrid on Jan 28th here start of second semester. Not an ideal time in my opinion to start up hybrid. But parents get the option to stay 100% virtual and that is the option we chose for our 9th and 11th graders. It will stay that way till the end of 3rd term and we will see where the metrics are over here. Currently all 24 of our jurisdictions are in the red. Defiantly a crazy year. A nice day of snow would mix things up.  

• Like 1

Disco thread is amusing. Picturing psu standing on stage discussing the complexity of a golf swing and how all pieces must come together to flush a 3 iron 225 on a long par 3 to a tucked pin 4 steps on the green, 3 steps left of a 10 ft deep bunker. Meanwhile, everyone in the crowd is drunk, freaking the f out and not paying attention.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Banter is what makes this fun. Perhaps not right as models come in storm threads but otherwise it’s what makes this place what it is. Keep being funny and bring the banter. Most of us love this place because of it.

Now as for the whining, the hand wringing, the incessant desire to start threads, and questions about warnings ... ban the bastards! :lol:

I hear you. Today was fun. Gotta find the line to walk though so a thread doesn’t turn into madness

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Looks can be deceiving. 

Just so you know, I’m still thrilled with the roof. When the virus has died down, I’d enjoy having the gangster pool players over for a lesson in humility, including  you, @losetoa6, and @ravensrule. I seem to recall a conversation where you and RR played at that serious place a few blocks from here. Unfortunately, here we play for nickels. And free beer.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Just so you know, I’m still thrilled with the roof. When the virus has died down, I’d enjoy having the gangster pool players over for a lesson in humility, including  you, @losetoa6, and @ravensrule. I seem to recall a conversation where you and RR played at that serious place a few blocks from here. Unfortunately, here we play for nickels. And free beer.

Glad to hear about the roof. I still have the same crew. 

There were 3 pool rooms within a mile of your house. The place your thinking of with RR was called Benny's located a block south of Slade Avenue where the McDonald's is. I haven't been there in years but as of couple years ago it was still open but was way different from how it was back in the day. The other 2 were Greenie's located at the corner of Old Court and Reisterstown rd. which closed over 15 years and the Player's Club located next to the post off on McHenry Ln. which closed in 2008 after the owner was murdered. 

We definitely have to get together when all this madness ends. That would be enjoyable. I would like to have some people over as well. PSU as you know lives right behind me and Dave was here about a year ago for a little electrical work. Hopefully the vaccine will allow some get togethers in some form by summer. I actually started playing a little again in the spring of 2019 but that only lasted a couple months and I haven't played since. I can't seem to get the right prescription for my eyes and these darn progressive lenses with the built in bifocals are a deterrent from playing. My daughter took a short video of me playing I think in May 2019 that's shows I still got it ;). If I can find it I'll text it to you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HighStakes said:

Glad to hear about the roof. I still have the same crew. 

There were 3 pool rooms within a mile of your house. The place your thinking of with RR was called Benny's located a block south of Slade Avenue where the McDonald's is. I haven't been there in years but as of couple years ago it was still open but was way different from how it was back in the day. The other 2 were Greenie's located at the corner of Old Court and Reisterstown rd. which closed over 15 years and the Player's Club located next to the post off on McHenry Ln. which closed in 2008 after the owner was murdered. 

We definitely have to get together when all this madness ends. That would be enjoyable. I would like to have some people over as well. PSU as you know lives right behind me and Dave was here about a year ago for a little electrical work. Hopefully the vaccine will allow some get togethers in some form by summer. I actually started playing a little again in the spring of 2019 but that only lasted a couple months and I haven't played since. I can't seem to get the right prescription for my eyes and these darn progressive lenses with the built in bifocals are a deterrent from playing. My daughter took a short video of me playing I think in May 2019 that's shows I still got it ;). If I can find it I'll text it to you.

I’m blind too. Prescription contacts and bifocals. Thanks for giving me a reason for why I suck. Alcohol as an excuse gets old.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic