Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Banter 2020

George BM

4 hours ago, mappy said:

Moved this here -- you made a valid point that I listened too. I've backed off my "no banter" bullshit, and have let it go, and have bantered along with the rest of them.

So which do you prefer? No banter for all? Or banter mixed in with the discussion? you can't have it both ways. 

I’d prefer if moderators held their personal posts to the same standard they use to monitor member posts. Seems like sometimes there is a double standard. Like for example, randomly enforcing “banter” posts that wander off topic for a post or two, but then the mod turning around two pages later and going back and forth totally off-topic just because they can. It isn’t right, that’s all.

And truthfully, it deters membership growth which is strategically critical to keeping a forum operational over the long-term. On the surface, I think that the practice of moving posts or hiding them does not appear to be both a)well articulated to members and b) applied with consistency. Furthermore, the practice is confrontational, completely subjective, and typically unilaterally enforced. Most would agree that’s no way to run an organization that values transparency and equitable treatment of its members.

Alternatively, I think moderation inside of a thread (which I’ve seen you and others do) like, “move along” or “turn the page” is way less abrasive for the member and also demonstrates a higher degree of transparency. Additionally, it allows for more thread continuity while reading, and also reinforces that moderators are actively engaged in a process of evaluation that’s fair and transparent.

Obviously, if a post is verbally offensive or in any  way inappropriate, it should be addressed completely differently by the mods. Removing or hiding  etc.

I appreciate you acknowledging my viewpoint

2 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

I’d prefer if moderators held their personal posts to the same standard they use to monitor member posts. Seems like sometimes there is a double standard. Like for example, randomly enforcing “banter” posts that wander off topic for a post or two, but then the mod turning around two pages later and going back and forth totally off-topic just because they can. It isn’t right, that’s all.

And truthfully, it deters membership growth which is strategically critical to keeping a forum operational over the long-term. On the surface, I think that the practice of moving posts or hiding them does not appear to be both a)well articulated to members and b) applied with consistency. Furthermore, the practice is confrontational, completely subjective, and typically unilaterally enforced. Most would agree that’s no way to run an organization that values transparency and equitable treatment of its members.

Alternatively, I think moderation inside of a thread (which I’ve seen you and others do) like, “move along” or “turn the page” is way less abrasive for the member and also demonstrates a higher degree of transparency. Additionally, it allows for more thread continuity while reading, and also reinforces that moderators are actively engaged in a process of evaluation that’s fair and transparent.

Obviously, if a post is verbally offensive or in any  way inappropriate, it should be addressed completely differently by the mods. Removing or hiding  etc.

I appreciate you acknowledging my viewpoint

Appreciate your thoughts. You’re not wrong, I can’t tell people not to banter and then banter myself, so I’ve made that change.

However, we will hide posts as we need to depending on the circumstance. Moving them to banter one at a time is a tedious task with the board software, and even if something isn’t offensive or inappropriate doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be hidden. There were two separate instances today where posts were hidden, first someone was commenting on an old euro run that everyone lost their minds over and then DT/Ji had a squabble. Those posts don’t need to stay in the thread as it allows others to comment when we are trying to move the thread on from the issue. I assure you we are not here to censor people but just keep threads as clean and readable as we can.

Today was a good day with model runs and people enjoyed themselves, so banter happened from everyone. We will clamp down when we get closer to threats and try to limit banter in threads, myself included. If someone sees their post has been removed and wants to ask, they should. We want transparency too. 

24 minutes ago, mappy said:

Appreciate your thoughts. You’re not wrong, I can’t tell people not to banter and then banter myself, so I’ve made that change.

However, we will hide posts as we need to depending on the circumstance. Moving them to banter one at a time is a tedious task with the board software, and even if something isn’t offensive or inappropriate doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be hidden. There were two separate instances today where posts were hidden, first someone was commenting on an old euro run that everyone lost their minds over and then DT/Ji had a squabble. Those posts don’t need to stay in the thread as it allows others to comment when we are trying to move the thread on from the issue. I assure you we are not here to censor people but just keep threads as clean and readable as we can.

Today was a good day with model runs and people enjoyed themselves, so banter happened from everyone. We will clamp down when we get closer to threats and try to limit banter in threads, myself included. If someone sees their post has been removed and wants to ask, they should. We want transparency too. 

Banter is what makes this fun. Perhaps not right as models come in storm threads but otherwise it’s what makes this place what it is. Keep being funny and bring the banter. Most of us love this place because of it.

Now as for the whining, the hand wringing, the incessant desire to start threads, and questions about warnings ... ban the bastards! :lol:

• Like 3

Rooting for you all you East Coasters to get buried next week! 

My oldest daughter is a School Teacher in Loudoun County and with the remote schooling I am not sure how they would handle a snowday? 

We have a strong PAC flow really kicking in here again through at least Christmas. The first 11 days of this month being unusually boring & dry. 

Had the first bit of snow at my house on Nov 7th.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jaydreb said:

18z EPS is a little concerning IMBY.  North and west looking good but we have no wiggle room in the beltway.  

you and me live close enough to fairfax that we can pretend to live outside the beltway. that's at least what I do when I see an WSW for 5" in Fairfax (two blocks away) and a WWA for 1-3" in Arlington, lol ;)

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Finally made it home.  Hung out at the Old Westminster Winery . Had some cider wine ...not to bad . The only model out right now is the Srefs . ARW suite looks promising for Monday :sled:

sref-all-arw_c00-md-total_snow_10to1-8033600.png

Hmmmm. ..not far from the Euro depiction :ph34r:

Lol at the range in Fairfax county... basically nothing in far SE portion to close to 5 inches in far NW portion

2 hours ago, rclab said:

It is you and your dream that’s most important. Requiring, as a make or break, a 4.0 is rather two dimensional. I wonder if the entire person is really evaluated. As always,....

Was supposed to be Holistic, and I’ve yet to hear of anyone without SATs being accepted, even though they said not having them wouldn’t hurt you. 4.0 GPA wasn’t required, It just wasn’t high enough. I also didn’t have many extra curricular activities, nor any leadership positions really, and my course rigor was pretty weak. I will NOT be a weenie any longer... at least an uneducated one. :weenie:

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic