Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
December Banter 2020

George BM

5 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

So frustrating to see the snow pics from western CT on twitter. Just too damn far to chase. If that had been backed up to the Poconos would have been an ideal day to go find snow. 

It’s December 5. There will be other chances especially at Deep Creek or Canaan that are closer than CT or Poconos. Or even better, we get a region wide storm that means you don’t need to chase. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 40westwx said:

In other news...  the mortality rates for 2020 were just released (cdc does it in season.. September to September)

The death rate - deaths per 100,000 people was about the same as the last few years:

United States - Historical Death Rate Data
Year Death Rate Growth Rate
2020 8.880 1.120%
2019 8.782 1.120%
2018 8.685 1.220%
2017 8.580 1.240%
2016 8.475 1.270%
2015 8.369 1.270%
2014 8.264 1.290%
2013 8.159 0.090%
2012 8.152 0.090%

Crude death rates jumped by a couple 100 thousand, and thats on par with jumps we have seen in previous years.  Every year about 3 million people die... so to see a spike in a couple hundred thousand is normal.. also remember our population growth rate is also at 1-2%.. thats six million people a year.  

The jump in 2013 to 2014 is an interesting one.. I feel like it has to do with some sort of improvements in reporting or something.. kinda like when temperature reporting in urban areas increase exponentially and all the sudden annual global temps rise.. 

•  

You got a link to that table? Can't find it anywhere on the cdc website...

44 minutes ago, nj2va said:

It’s December 5. There will be other chances especially at Deep Creek or Canaan that are closer than CT or Poconos. Or even better, we get a region wide storm that means you don’t need to chase. 

Everyone is still in shock from the snow drought of 19-20.  I still remember having the windows open on Dec 25 2015 while the Christmas turkey was in the oven.  Then not even a month later we're buried here.  But it's definitely time for more than a car topper!  I haven't plowed or had to use the blower in too long.  I wouldn't even mind having a rainy day with 6" on the ground and a sharp freeze turning the pasture in a huge ice rink!  Drifting four wheelers is fun! ;)

Wasted cold and the familiar saying "imagine if this was snow" during day long downpours gets old.  Maybe I need to move to upstate NY.

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Region wide storm, lol. Good one.

North for me up 83 to 81 to north eastern PA portion of the Poconos is as close or closer for me than heading to Deep Creek or Canaan. Gives me more chasing options. Was totally doable if the storm had found its way there today.

Me and the missus drove out into West Virginia last Tuesday to see some flakes. Got about 20 miles outside of Davis before conditions started to deteriorate and I bailed (Downfall of 2W drive). Had a blast regardless, was worth it for the beautiful scenery and some early season action

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dendrimer77 said:

Why don't you stop bitching and let the man post. I live in CHO and last time I checked we are part of this forum, including Richmond. The more snow discussion the better as far as I'm concerned.

As one of the few people with dual addresses in the forum, I think the main problem is when someone posts something that sounds great without specifying a location. It would be bad to post "wow 12z EURO is amazing" if it was really only amazing for NE Maryland, or whatever.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

As one of the few people with dual addresses in the forum, I think the main problem is when someone posts something that sounds great without specifying a location. It would be bad to post "wow 12z EURO is amazing" if it was really only amazing for NE Maryland, or whatever.

Yeah, I get it. The entire event could implode and it's definitely not region wide either way. The comments just came off as petty. We all need to see a few flakes for the vibes to improve I think. 

1 minute ago, Dendrimer77 said:

Yeah, I get it. The entire event could implode and it's definitely not region wide either way. The comments just came off as petty. We all need to see a few flakes for the vibes to improve I think. 

I often wonder if the NE forum crew read our posts when they need a quick chuckle.  Some of those folks will get more snow tonight than many of us will see all winter and it’s not even winter yet technically.  

9 minutes ago, Dendrimer77 said:

Yeh I should have just let it slide. Obvious folks are on edge, but he just came in a little too hot on that one...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

RIC people and SW Va people are good people. They have every right to post in this sub forum. If central va get some snow then that’s good for them. Sucks for DC north but boo hoo 

Lol I literally just posted in the reaper forum about why all the hate suddenly for SW VA peeps? I enjoy reporting inbound meatballs to the Mid Atlantic crew from their southwest when we all have that awesome overrunning wall to wall shield of snow. Soon enough!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BristowWx said:

I often wonder if the NE forum crew read our posts when they need a quick chuckle.  Some of those folks will get more snow tonight than many of us will see all winter and it’s not even winter yet technically.  

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Panic Connoisseur on my profile is a purposeful statement. I visit forums all over this site. I see it all. 

We're all weenies and we're really not all that different in how we treat down periods. 

There is nothing that happens here that doesn't happen in some of the other forums. Except for Ji. And Jeb. They're both one of a kind in their own way. :lol: 

Yup. What WxWatcher said. We are pretty bummed in the Upstate NY forum because November and so far December have SUCKED. We all (or most) on all the forums sort of have expectations of a winter based on where we live...and so far, it's been meh...just like much of this decade. Lake effect...synoptic...clippers...have been lacking. But Great Lakes Cutters have been in abundance over the past several winters.

You guys aren't alone. Most of us are weenies. If I ever get a chuckle with your forum, it's when you guys start bantering about an inch vs. 2 inches or when you share frost thicknesses. :P 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 40westwx said:

In other news...  the mortality rates for 2020 were just released (cdc does it in season.. September to September)

The death rate - deaths per 100,000 people was about the same as the last few years:

United States - Historical Death Rate Data
Year Death Rate Growth Rate
2020 8.880 1.120%
2019 8.782 1.120%
2018 8.685 1.220%
2017 8.580 1.240%
2016 8.475 1.270%
2015 8.369 1.270%
2014 8.264 1.290%
2013 8.159 0.090%
2012 8.152 0.090%

Crude death rates jumped by a couple 100 thousand, and thats on par with jumps we have seen in previous years.  Every year about 3 million people die... so to see a spike in a couple hundred thousand is normal.. also remember our population growth rate is also at 1-2%.. thats six million people a year.  

The jump in 2013 to 2014 is an interesting one.. I feel like it has to do with some sort of improvements in reporting or something.. kinda like when temperature reporting in urban areas increase exponentially and all the sudden annual global temps rise.. 

•  

B121BF69-C2A7-4C95-AC98-F4104743CDE3.thumb.jpeg.be6a2a26ced81b0021eabb69e5822aa6.jpeg

Very important to mention the data you cited does not include any covid data.  That is our mortality rate excluding covid deaths. 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, mdhokie said:

You got a link to that table? Can't find it anywhere on the cdc website...

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/death-rate

The site clearly specifies that 2020 does not include covid impacts. In searching for this source I also found references to the CDC releasing non covid mortality estimates. So putting 2+2 that chart is our 2020 projected mortality absent effects of covid. Which makes sense. But the way it was presented was misleading. 

@mdhokie 

this is the mortality chart for 2020 from the October CDC update with covid broken down by age. You can see mortality has been running way above normal. The drop near the end is due to a lag in reporting. The second chart lumps all flu/pneumonia/covid deaths together which debunks the claim that flu or pneumonia deaths were being mis attributed. If so it’s funny how we suddenly had a pneumonia epidemic. 
895C49DD-AE48-451F-91CD-2C659E9D5F75.thumb.gif.fa2e2c9e8d5d302f93df9c07dd8b72d8.gif

C1C534DC-4757-462F-9CF3-30D64AC5D691.jpeg.8ed2d8e8bfaa5349cdb63cc8eddd7282.jpeg

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic