Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

2 hours ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I’m curious what falls. I’m wondering if it will be white rain, rain, snow that acc on snow, rate dependent snow, no clue really. Best guess is rain with flakes mixed in for the city

Could be the perfect snow on snow.....snow accumulates but only on snowboard and snowcover and no shoveling required!! It looks like some accumulations look likely N and W of Philly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS trended the right way. Euro has it but weakish. Worth keeping an eye on but not a strong signal attm

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh144_trend.gif

Oh look it's the February 7th 2021 storm we know how that worked out.  That southeast ridge is going to push this northwest one more time.  I remember Al Roker the Wednesday before Sunday February 7th say, "We have nothing to worry about this one is going out to sea".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Possible Flood threat March 1- 3? GFS rockets temps to the 60s plus brings 1-2" of heavy rain. Something to keep an eye on with the dense snowpack n and w of 95. Does anyone know where I can find snow water equivalent maps? I'm betting there's at least 1-2" qpf in my snow pack. 

By March 1-3 your snow pack be very minimum (grass showing). After tomorrow slowly but surely we'll be hitting 40s (and some 50s) and the sun will drill through this stuff by early March.

Here now, 33F, sunny and stuff is melting at a decent rate...

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

By March 1-3 your snow pack be very minimum (grass showing). After tomorrow slowly but surely we'll be hitting 40s (and some 50s) and the sun will drill through this stuff by early March.

Here now, 33F, sunny and stuff is melting at a decent rate...

I don't man, I'm on a hike right now in the D and R greenway... There's like A 4-5" powderish snow on top then a hard layer that I can't even get through with my hiking poles to see the depth. Seems to be at least 6" under the powder that is just frozen like a glacier. I'd be pretty shocked if we see green spots by March  at least imby especially if we see more snow tomorrow. This pack has some serious staying power imo, days in the 40s aren't going to melt it in a week. I'll take a pic so you can see what I mean.. there's still a foot of snow here that's pretty much glacierized with the cold temps and freezing rain. Best pack we've had in years, reminds me of being up in new hampshire.

• Like 1

Here is the latest version of the snow pile, taken just now. It's 7'6" high, which ties the record from 2014. Yay! It's pretty massive too, and while historically snow piles here have never lasted past March 31st, we shall see! Did not really think this opportunity would present itself this winter, so no complaints here. The snowpack here at its thickest is about 8".0221211658a_copy_1200x1600.thumb.jpg.9d8be8bf291b168b03595e966ff60687.jpg

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

With this last storm in the books it looks like we can finally take a break from tracking for a bit as the pattern turns somewhat hostile to snow for the remainder of met winter. Still no torches on the horizon though, mostly just looks seasonable maybe slightly above normal.

What a run though this month. Barring something else popping up last minute, looks like we will finish with 31 inches of snow here since Jan 31st. 

Now let's root for a big slow moving bowling ball MECS sometime in March to cap off the season. If this was it though, it's been a great season for 95 N and W. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

21 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Here is the latest version of the snow pile, taken just now. It's 7'6" high, which ties the record from 2014. Yay! It's pretty massive too, and while historically snow piles here have never lasted past March 31st, we shall see! Did not really think this opportunity would present itself this winter, so no complaints here. The snowpack here at its thickest is about 8".0221211658a_copy_1200x1600.thumb.jpg.9d8be8bf291b168b03595e966ff60687.jpg

Wowza!  And got a few more inches on it too! With the rain and possibility of going back below freezing tonight, that will be a sealed-in glacier! :lol:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I don’t think we’re done. Especially NW. long way to go in a month that has been pretty snow friendly recently. Then again nuisance snows this time of year kind of suck. Give me a big one or nothing. April 97 please 

Agreed, the super dynamical March storms like the ones we got in 2018 were a blast. My focus shifts in March as well from "happy to get any snow" to "big game hunting". If it isn't at least winter storm warning worthy, it really does nothing for me in March. 

I don't think we are done either, but at the same time the next week or two looks pretty uneventful and after that, the clock really begins ticking... A big March storm would bring this winter from a B+ to an A though.

20 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Agreed, the super dynamical March storms like the ones we got in 2018 were a blast. My focus shifts in March as well from "happy to get any snow" to "big game hunting". If it isn't at least winter storm warning worthy, it really does nothing for me in March. 

I don't think we are done either, but at the same time the next week or two looks pretty uneventful and after that, the clock really begins ticking... A big March storm would bring this winter from a B+ to an A though.

Early March looks like timeframe to watch. Until then, likely too warm for snow. 

43 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Imagine tomorrow w/the highs 50F+ and sun. Lord have mercy on any snow pack....

It'll be interesting to see how much ours melts. We've still got over 18" of snow in parts of the yard and the snow-bergs on my street are upwards of 4' high in places. On the plus side, maybe it'll help with the huge-mongous ice dam situation I've got going on. The front of my house only gets maybe a few hours of afternoon sun. :(

• Weenie 1