Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

41 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Incoming on the euro. Every op 12z model has this long duration event setting up next week with Arctic air near by. Right now looks like a classic ice signal but that can evolve based on where the pc sets up.

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

Euro is against most other modeling and wants nothing to do with shifting the PV farther ESE. If it ismoving, it is extremely slow.

Eta: Finally moves into the GL longitude by day 9/10

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Incoming on the euro. Every op 12z model has this long duration event setting up next week with Arctic air near by. Right now looks like a classic ice signal but that can evolve based on where the pc sets up.

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

I like to do a few things in anticipation of a snowfall, but I'll probably leave the PC where I usually have it, and let the chips fall where they may.

• Haha 1

Anyone else getting that feeling this month might be one we remember? Especially N and W areas. Seems like the atmosphere just wants to produce frozen. Now we are getting short range surprises popping up. The GFS 18z was a weenie run with threat after threat. My gut says we are on the good side of the pattern during prime climo for a change. Buckle up. :weenie:

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Long range ECM ripe with threats, the early January SSW event  made winter go boom like no other.

Looks like we have to watch Tuesday Feb 9th for a light threat. BL temps marginal. Most guidance showing precip centered over LV. 

Then there is a SECS potential brewing for Thursday. I think the Wentzadelphia system is still there next weekend but the look has degraded quite a bit in recent runs. 

Active tracking nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks like we have to watch Tuesday Feb 9th for a light threat. BL temps marginal. Most guidance showing precip centered over LV. 

Then there is a SECS potential brewing for Thursday. I think the Wentzadelphia system is still there next weekend but the look has degraded quite a bit in recent runs. 

Active tracking nonetheless.

The ensembles keep showing a colder solution for next weekends  storm and the ops are starting to follow.

7 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

This is the Wentz storm time frame btw. Hope it can deliver. The big tpv has finally moved to 50/50 land. I’ll take my chances with this look! Just gotta get that pna ridge east a bit

DD83250D-6A90-41A1-85FB-F9DDE95CAF34.png

The ensembles are alot more favorable than the ops at the moment.

• Like 1

Wxsim with 6z data has a wintry week ahead with 13" to 20" of snow and ice during the week an then temps staying in the teens for highs next Saturday

Sunday: Dense overcast. Snow likely in the morning, then a chance of snow in the
 afternoon. High 30. Wind east-northeast around 2 mph in the morning, becoming
 north-northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Snow accumulation
 2 to 4 inches.

Wednesday night: Dense overcast, with light to moderate frost. A slight chance
 of snow in the evening, then a chance of snow after midnight. Low 25. Wind
 north-northwest near calm in the evening, becoming southeast after midnight.
 Chance of precipitation 40 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly
 less than a tenth of an inch. Snow accumulation about half an inch.

Thursday: Dense overcast. Patchy light fog in the morning. Snow likely in the
 morning, then a mix of snow and sleet likely in the afternoon. High 30. Wind
 chill around 21. Wind east around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between half an inch and one inch. Snow
 or ice (on ground) accumulation 5 to 8 inches.

Thursday night: Dense overcast, with areas of light frost likely. A chance of a
 mix of sleet, freezing rain, and snow in the evening, then a chance of freezing
 rain after midnight. Low 29, but temperatures rising after midnight. Wind chill
 as low as 22. Wind east around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than a quarter of an inch. No snow
 or ice (on ground) accumulation expected. Above-ground freezing rain
 accumulation up to 0.1 inches.

Friday: Dense overcast. Patchy light fog in the afternoon. A chance of rain in
 the morning, then a mix of rain and snow likely in the afternoon. High 35. Wind
 east around 7 mph in the morning, becoming north-northeast in the afternoon.
 Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly
 around an inch. Snow accumulation around 2 inches.

Friday night: Dense overcast in the evening, becoming partly cloudy after
 midnight, with moderate to heavy frost. Snow likely. Breezy and cold. Low 16.
 Wind chill ranging from 8 to 26. Wind northwest around 15 mph, gusting to 26
 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)
 mostly around an inch. Snow accumulation 4 to 6 inches.

9 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Cmc has a really bad ice storm day 5. On top of that looks like 3-5” or so falls before the changeover, plus the freezing rain is overnight. Anyone have maps? Curious how much snow it has before the changeover

Tt maps but I'm sure this includes some of the changeover. Would be very nasty! 3-6" thump then .025"-.5" of ice. Cmc also has a small event on Tuesday for the northern half of the forum. This week should be fun, I see 3 threats this week where we have a decent shot at snow, then we still have your storm lurking in the distance next week. Plus none of the models really show the pattern breaking down any time soon. 

gem_asnow24_neus_18.png

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Tt maps but I'm sure this includes some of the changeover. Would be very nasty! 3-6" thump then .025"-.5" of ice. Cmc also has a small event on Tuesday for the northern half of the forum. This week should be fun, I see 3 threats this week where we have a decent shot at snow, then we still have your storm lurking in the distance next week. Plus none of the models really show the pattern breaking down any time soon. 

gem_asnow24_neus_18.png

Thanks, the 12z gfs has “the heisy” event I’ve been talking about. It tracks a bit inland at H5 but is a classic archambault timing event imo. This is when the ULL moves towards the 50/50 region and the block breaks down

1C8C2A2B-9FEF-4B42-B45F-B134556AC074.png

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Weenie happy hour GFS run. Keeps confluence strong enough for wednesday night-Thursday. Might even be cold enough with next wave too

Storm apocalypse day 10-13 on the GFS is among my favorite all time fantasy runs as it destroys the south then the MA 

* The Valentine's massacre storm

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

6 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Would be very nasty! 3-6" thump then .025"-.5" of ice. 

What year did this happen in the mid 2000s?  I remember there being a 6ish inch event followed by so much ice that you could walk on top of the snowpack without breaking through.  Made for some gnarly sledding carnage.  

6 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

What year did this happen in the mid 2000s?  I remember there being a 6ish inch event followed by so much ice that you could walk on top of the snowpack without breaking through.  Made for some gnarly sledding carnage.  

Valentine’s Day 2007 I believe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Iceman said:

gem_asnow24_neus_18.png

See a lot of people referencing 1994 on the ice.  Normally I chuckle when I see 1994 mentions, the past few days though...can’t say I’m laughing.