Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2020/2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, Snowcane21 said:

As did the icon and NAM make major shifts NW. just noise or figuring out the pattern.....

I stick by my original thoughts that for SE PA (most of this subforum) we are trying to thread a needle. It can happen, I'm not saying it can't. Just will be tough. Antecedent airmass is stale. If streams stay separate but the sw is strong and is north enough to spread precip, frozen will be confined N and W. A phase (which doesn't look likely until past our lat) would pump ridging out ahead in an already marginal airmass. And if the sw if flat and weak it either slides south or is a light event. Curiously, the ens members do have some better solution but they favor N and W. If we all want to cash in we want a medium strength sw that slides just under the region for a lightish event. Today's runs will be interesting.

• Like 1

The trend is real. I’m actually more worried about rain than OTS. As Walt drag says we need the cmc to come on board. This event reminds me of 2013-14 where every shortwave trended better at this range. I really think this ends up being a 6-10” event in the suburbs. These types of waves seem to always trend wetter and stronger. It’s pure stj & with today’s ocean temps expect a juicier system 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

The trend is real. I’m actually more worried about rain than OTS. As Walt drag says we need the cmc to come on board. This event reminds me of 2013-14 where every shortwave trended better at this range. I really think this ends up being a 6-10” event in the suburbs. These types of waves seem to always trend wetter and stronger. It’s pure stj & with today’s ocean temps expect a juicier system 

Arctic fronts usually end up close to the coast. Lets all cash in once again.  Next week's  storm is trending away from a cutter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

The massive cold shot next week is gone, the se ridge is clearly going to be a bigger deal than we thought. MJO phase 7 does favor that in February. Looking like one of those patterns where anything that amps will be mix/rain for 95.

I'm not so sure about that. MJO hasn't been a key driver this year like the last 2.  The -NAM has been the key persistent driver with HL blocking being very stable and has bucked most Nina looks thus far not allowing the SE ridge to establish for extended periods. I mean, if the HL ridging is ever going to link up with the SE ridge and establish a mid/full lat persistent feature, mid Feb and onward would be the time. However, flopping of guidance tells me the 2nd SWE from mid Jan is beginning to show up at the trop with more HL blocking and guidance is struggling with that. Ironically we have just had our 3rd SWE of the season so we may enter another favorable period late month. For now, I'm siding with the seasonal trend and saying no major PV blasts, seasonal cold, and transient SE ridge with persistent HL blocking which would work for us as we r in prime climo. Im certainly not punting because of the MJO forecast.

Just now, Wentzadelphia said:

As Tombo pointed out on another forum this is like a SWFE here. Have a low near the lakes. If it can stay all snow I love these types. Heavy wet snow will stick to everything and then we drip. I like that it starts before dawn here

Yep, upper levels plenty cold. But surface is verbatim 32-33. Maybe it drops to 29-30 in the heaviest rates/those further NW. But we probably thump heavy snow 5-8" 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm not so sure about that. MJO hasn't been a key driver this year like the last 2.  The -NAM has been the key persistent driver with HL blocking being very stable and has bucked most Nina looks thus far not allowing the SE ridge to establish for extended periods. I mean, if the HL ridging is ever going to link up with the SE ridge and establish a mid/full lat persistent feature, mid Feb and onward would be the time. However, flopping of guidance tells me the 2nd SWE from mid Jan is beginning to show up at the trop with more HL blocking and guidance is struggling with that. Ironically we have just had our 3rd SWE of the season so we may enter another favorable period late month. For now, I'm siding with the seasonal trend and saying no major PV blasts, seasonal cold, and transient SE ridge with persistent HL blocking which would work for us as we r in prime climo. Im certainly not punting because of the MJO forecast.

It's also mostly been low amplitude or in the cod most of the winter. Much different than this wave which may get into high amplitude phase 7. Guidance almost unanimously backing off the big Arctic blast this upcoming week was a red flag that it may have more influence this month than it has seasonally and that the se ridge may not just be a transient feature. If that's the case, the favored areas would be the interior and New England even if we keep the blocking.