Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
GWO , AAM and Torques

Monotone

Greetings. Forum I am joining from Turkey

There are amateur forums and forecasts like you in my country.

But our aerospace technology and knowledge is not as much as you.

My request from you is to share the patterns created by AAM, GWO and Torques (friction, mountain etc.) and their effects on Asia, Europe and America in plain / note form (information I will use when estimating) ..

It is my request from our expert members. Thank you :)

sorry for my english :(

This is from one of the US seasonal forecasts, but I think it explains it well (AAM). He gives links where you can see plots of how it looks too.

Atmospheric Angular Momentum: https://jimsullivanweather.com/2020/11/21/jim-sullivans-2020-21-winter-outlook-write-up/

Atmospheric angular momentum is, extremely basically, how much westerly flow there is across the globe. Typically, El Ninos feature a stronger / extended Pacific jet due to increased forcing over the Pacific, and higher AAM. La Ninas typically feature the opposite.

glaam-djf.gif?w=565

Above is the seasonal correlation to AAM in DJF. The correlation is weak in much of the U.S., but in general higher AAM features a +PNA pattern with higher heights over Canada and lower heights over the southern U.S…basically a typical El Nino pattern. If you inverse the colors (use imagination) and emulate the correlation for a -AAM, it looks much more like a La Nina with higher heights off the West Coast and across the southern U.S. and lower heights over much of Canada.

The AAM over the last year or so has been interesting. It was quite low in the fall of 2019, likely due to increased Indian Ocean forcing and limited Pacific forcing, which contributed to a very ridgey pattern in the mid-latitudes (in particular, across the Pacific) and limited disruption to the stratospheric polar vortex, allowing it to get quite strong by early 2020. It rose later in winter, though was distributed poorly and didn’t shake-up the +AO pattern. The AAM fell again over the summer as La Nina developed and strengthened. It has risen this fall and isn’t dropping back off yet. This atypical AAM for a La Ninia may explain why we’ve had cold weather over western North America and warmth nearly everywhere else in November (and quite possibly December, more later), which is not how La Ninas typically play out (usually, La Ninas start colder than they finish in the eastern US).

The fact that the AAM is kind of high for a La Nina isn’t necessary bad, but how it’s currently distributed is poor for winter weather fans in the eastern U.S. and Europe to say the least:

• Like 1