Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monday, November 30, 2020 Heavy Rain, Strong Winds, and Severe Convection

weatherwiz

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Not going to show much. Need echoes to estimate a velocity. I still think the core misses you to the east but you might see a little secondary peak in winds here in the next hour.

Correct me if I’m wrong .. I’ve noticed in these last couple screamers. The strongest gusts occur when it’s not raining. Not necessarily preceding a heavy downpour. But it seems to rip right after a band of rain has moved thru 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Correct me if I’m wrong .. I’ve noticed in these last couple screamers. The strongest gusts occur when it’s not raining. Not necessarily preceding a heavy downpour. But it seems to rip right after a band of rain has moved thru 

That happens. Rain can stabilize  the atmosphere. Of course convective rains can bring down heavy winds, but what you said does happen. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

That happens. Rain can stabilize  the atmosphere. Of course convective rains can bring down heavy winds, but what you said does happen. 

That and I was thinking it could depend on how far out ahead rain bands are in relation to strongest pressure gradients or anything katafrontal where stronger winds generally occur after precip has passed.

10 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

That and I was thinking it could depend on how far out ahead rain bands are in relation to strongest pressure gradients or anything katafrontal where stronger winds generally occur after precip has passed.

Yep that too. I generally think sometimes it helps to have it stop and the temp recover a degree or so. I’ve seen what Kevin describes. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

It finally mixed out at 1P1. What a pit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Water pouring in under my slider downstairs.... first time there has been significant water coming in. French drains handling it no problem.

There is water coming under my garage door which almost never happens.  I have not cleaned the gutters since beginning of October so I’m sure that is the problem.

• Sad 1

Over 1" rain is all I know as the stratus overflows.  We've picked up two to four times the amount the 12z GFS and ECMWF had through this time.  Models showing 0.3-0.6" earlier through 11pm.

But with this type of jet and transport moving across New England, probably could've taken the over on the rainfall.

nam-nest-conus-neng-z850_speed-6773600.png

nam-nest-conus-neng-z850_speed-6780800.thumb.png.40b5e519b2a815514c1872c1095a1ac0.png