• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

Just measured about 2.5 inches on my back deck in Greene County. By far the heaviest snow of the night is falling at the moment.  Over .5 in the last 30 minutes.

Edit: This band is really impressive. Probably right at 3 inches by the time I'm posting this image. 

Snow12120.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a picture from this morning. We moved from our old house we had lived in for 10yrs to this new location closer town, so was wondering what the effect would be on snowfall totals. This time around, the new location did better than where I just moved from. It was, apparently, all about the banding last night.

F6049371-39AD-4DB9-8AE1-A4F6EF8F1A43.jpeg

• Like 4

A solid 2” event IMBY. Main roads are well treated, but side roads are fairly slick. Woke up at 0400 and it was absolutely ripping. Should have gotten outside for a measurement while it was fresh; judging solely on appearance, I’m guessing a bit was lost. Like Holston mentioned above, the grass has that splotchy look already.

• Like 1

Also can someone tell me what “broadcast media” means? Is that a TV or radio station? I ask because I’m in halls and I probably picked up 3/4” of snow but I saw this report and it’s hard to believe.

I will say there’s some pretty good sized ridges in Halls closer to the Union Co line. Cobbly Knob in Halls is about 1700’ft

• Like 1

It’s interesting that the reports coming in from the lower elevations of NE Tennessee are on the light side. Seems like the Central Valley did really well.

The best moisture and lift remained concentrated south and west of roughly this line:

031069073117e967dec5c85156af7205.jpg

I’ve seen a few reports from Greene Co. and Washington Co. of 3” or better. Family in lower Unicoi Co. have damn near 4”. Meanwhile, Kingsport and Gray are lucky to have an inch, while friends in NW JC are reporting 1.5”.

As odd as it looked, I believe MRX was right to exclude Johnson County from the WSW area.
  • Like 3

As a general rule and we discuss this often...northwest flow events usually are usually poor from I-81 to the northwest in TRI.  Kingsport had a dusting for this event which was more than I expected.  Get east of 81, and Bristol did well as evidenced by KV's daughter.  Have seen reports that Unicoi had 3" of snow per a tweet from a WJHL reporter.  That said, as Blue Ridge noted, the big pulse of energy yesterday was southwest of Rogersville.  Morristown down to Knoxville were under an excellent feed.  The only time my area really does well with northwest flow stuff is when the fetch is really consistent and the temps are already cold.  Lots of downscoping in Kingsport with these events.  We often do well if the energy is northern stream only and cold is in place.  Kingsport rarely does well with northwest flow if cold is chasing rain.  System overall was just too far west for a good portion of TRI.  With the low going nearly over our area, just don't get the rush of cold air that folks maybe 25-30 miles to our east did - from a longitude perspective, TRI is quite a bit eastward, especially in relation to this storm.  .  That said, we do REALLY well in Kingsport with SLPs to our south and east as Kingsport catches the upslope.  JC has bigger issues with SE lows as those events create wicked downsloping in regards to temps and precip.  I don't complain with these types of events(like yesterday and overnight), because we get our share when often times folks to our southwest don't.  More times than not, TRI can score with both the Atlantic and Northwest energy. Latitude and our proximity to the Atlantic give us a ton of advantage...but downscoping is a pain as it can occur from three different directions (SW VA and SE KY often cap our precip amounts here).  

Overall, I thought modeling did really well with this event.  The RGEM seems to handle northwest flow events really well, but the NAM did well as well.   For those of us who have been here for a long time and helped get this sub-forum started, alway awesome to see people get excited about the weather, to see the great conversations, to see the reports from different locations, and to see the growth of this weather community.  I kind of get a kick out that during a big storm.  Great collection of folks.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blue Ridge said:

6” on Roan Mtn [edit: specifies 3700’ - that’s not quite at the summit]

Beautiful photo.  Man, Roan Mountain is just money.  Great northwest facing slopes that just funnel air right up those high-elevation, mountain valleys.    We have been there at the state park sledding during a northwest even, wind just howls up those valleys like a giant snow maker at Sugar.

• Like 4

We just got back to Birmingham! It was a little sketchy getting out of the driveway but all the roads in and around ski mountain road were just slushy. The highest measurement I got was 4 inches on the porch. It was a beautiful snow and a lot more fell than actually accumulated. It took awhile to get going and it snowed lightly all night last night. I bet if it were later in the season it would have been more.

It also was coming down great as we were leaving all the way past pigeon forge and close to Knoxville. Wouldn’t be surprised if the cabin picked up a little more after we left. We will be back again soon!

77B74FA0-0EEA-42C6-8FB2-2D6F9EF0246D.jpeg

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, BhamParker said:

We just got back to Birmingham! It was a little sketchy getting out of the driveway but all the roads in and around ski mountain road were just slushy. The highest measurement I got was 4 inches on the porch. It was a beautiful snow and a lot more fell than actually accumulated. It took awhile to get going and it snowed lightly all night last night. I bet if it were later in the season it would have been more.

It also was coming down great as we were leaving all the way past pigeon forge and close to Knoxville. Wouldn’t be surprised if the cabin picked up a little more after we left. We will be back again soon!

77B74FA0-0EEA-42C6-8FB2-2D6F9EF0246D.jpeg

@BhamParker Nice! You should consider moving up here. As you know you can’t beat this area for its beauty and for a location in the South, we actually get at least some snow every year. My parents live in Birmingham, so I know what it’s like firsthand during the winter down there. Thanks for the pics and updates!

• Like 1

There's been flurries all day today. Thick clouds in place with the snow sticking on trees still in places where it didn't blow off.  Above 2500 feet there was a solid 6 inches of snow. 3 inches or so below that. Then below 1500 it went down to about 1 inch. Dramatic differences over short elevation differences. 

Looking towards the Southwest. That's Cross Mountain at 3525 feet in the back. 

FLccg4.jpg

FL02Mg.jpg

FL15LF.jpg

Hard to see so I laid a stick in it.  From 2500ft, about 6 inches on the ground. 

FLE4up.md.jpg

FLMRXS.md.jpg

FLVoCP.md.jpg

• Like 6

I chose the name Carvers Gap for two reasons.  It is where my Grandad used to go birding and was less crowded than the Smokies(not so today) and the wx there is pretty much the most extreme place in Tennessee where I can get that is within about 1.5 hours of leaving my driveway.  The extremes are impressive.  I don't go up there during storms like this...too dangerous for my blood.  I leave that to the young folks.  When I go, I go the next day or so.  There are times when drifts get up to my waist.  This summer, the place was packed.  Unfortunately it has been discovered by the hoard.  I have a few places still in NE TN where I go which are still crazy weather wise, but tough to top that area in terms of wild weather.  That is EXTREME northwest flow right there.  Looks like some of that is from round bald just up from the parking lot.  Impressive footage.  Not jealous of that drive back down though!  Again, be sure to have the sound on...this is different than the post above BTW.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic