• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

Things have stoped here in Knoxville.  Have to see if any of the returns from middle KY can make it into the area intact.  It is most likely the mountains show now.  Maybe we can get a few enhancements over night.  I ended up with around an inch on my car and almost that on the grass.

• Like 1

It has been great seeing all of the photos, congrats to everyone that got snow!  It was a rush to see big chunky flakes falling here during the daytime.  We ended up with maybe a quarter inch, enough to whiten things up.  Still some flurry action going on.  This was a nice little surprise event as I was not expecting this location to get in on the action.  Bring on the next one!

• Like 5

It has been great seeing all of the photos, congrats to everyone that got snow!  It was a rush to see big chunky flakes falling here during the daytime.  We ended up with maybe a quarter inch, enough to whiten things up.  Still some flurry action going on.  This was a nice little surprise event as I was not expecting this location to get in on the action.  Bring on the next one!

NW flow is backed all the way to Indy. It may dry up but I don’t think it’s over just yet.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Light snow showers here.  Doubt we get any accumulation in Kingsport, but officially logging the first frozen precip of the season for MBY.  

Same here! It's great to see flakes IMBY this time of year...I mean other than my family at Thanksgiving. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Those are great photos. Crazy how Knoxville saw a little bit of snow on the ground while Oak Ridge got blanked.

I got a heavy dusting in Halls but 15 miles downstream from me in the flow got 1.5” in Strawberry Plains area. Measurement was taken by a NWS met so it’s legit.

43260f18308e5fa0e6268ff4a150755d.png

• Like 1

Rates are picking back up here, maybe its not over here. Latest HRRR still shows plenty of NW flow support. 

I think we are now getting into the NW flow. Snow is falling pretty good at my house but the radar over me is meh. Snow also looks like that high ratio kind that’s small in size but pouring down.

Just now, PowellVolz said:

I think we are now getting into the NW flow. Snow is falling pretty good at my house but the radar over me is meh. Snow also looks like that high ratio kind that’s small in size but pouring down.

Thats exactly the type flakes we are getting here right now. Reminds me of the flakes I saw fall for the Christmas 2010 storm on Christmas night and then I woke up to like 4 more inches of snow. Maybe it'll roll for awhile and tack on some more. 

• Like 2

Great pictures and reports guys!  I’m enjoying hearing and seeing everything even though my home turf on the west side of the state was not involved in this system.  Got a few flurries today though so there’s that.  I’m Glad to see Knoxville got in the snowfall game too, hope y’all enjoy it tonight/tomorrow 

• Like 1

Thats exactly the type flakes we are getting here right now. Reminds me of the flakes I saw fall for the Christmas 2010 storm on Christmas night and then I woke up to like 4 more inches of snow. Maybe it'll roll for awhile and tack on some more. 

I think you are going to be rocking it for a while. The precip is banking up against the mountains and backing up into the valley. Seen this happen many of times with good low level moisture and the perfect NW flow directions. You can see where I am and I’ve seen the snow back all the way up to me before. 015fc8673c10602c3feae865fc98081f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From the 9:00 PM AFD update:

Further east in the Valley, the system looks to have slightlyover-performed as a few locations have reported 1.0-1.5 inches.

You don’t say.

I sent the NWS a tweet at 2:30 this afternoon that the changeover was happening in Knoxville. NWS sent out their forecast at 3:45 and they had rain for me until 9pm before it changed over and I am 30 min north of Knoxville.

• Like 1

It's classic upslope here. Strong winds. Not showing up on radar. Thick foggy looking sky filled small flakes. I've gotten another 1/2, inch in the last 45 minutes. 3 inches total. 

It’s crazy how fast those fine flakes can add up when it’s ripping it.

• Like 3

Well it would seem barring some really good NW flow tonight out of everyone I have drawn the short end of the stick. Latitude and elevation be damned I got a trace. :lol: As for why, I dunno. Perhaps the atmosphere was drier here but I think it's more likely to do with the 2nd wave of energy in this system associated with the upper level low which tracked to my SW. I could be entirely wrong and I'm sure someone here would have a better understanding haha. For those of yall in harsher climos congrats though!

8 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

Well it would seem barring some really good NW flow tonight out of everyone I have drawn the short end of the stick. Latitude and elevation be damned I got a trace. :lol: As for why, I dunno. Perhaps the atmosphere was drier here but I think it's more likely to do with the 2nd wave of energy in this system associated with the upper level low which tracked to my SW. I could be entirely wrong and I'm sure someone here would have a better understanding haha. For those of yall in harsher climos congrats though!

It was just the track of the low, you were too far East. The cold was very much an east/west thing. That's why it was snowing down in Alabama and raining in northern Virginia. The high-res models had a pretty big area up into SWVA with little accumulation. I didn't think it reached all the way up to you though. 

They honestly handled this event really well. The RAP gave me around 3 inches last night and that's about where I'm going to end up at. The bullseye outside the high eastern mountains was the eastern rim and western Plateau and it looks like it was good there too.  

Knoxville overperformed on a couple of models but I believe the RAP had them with .9.  It even had the blank spot across Anderson county and it appears to have verified.  They likely got downsloped. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If we were just a few degrees colder and the ground not quite as warm, I think Knox would have really had something to show for it.  Only a quarter inch or so on the ground but it really came down hard for awhile.  And sustained periods of lighter big flaked snow.  Might of had 2+ inches under slightly different conditions.  No complaining here mind you.

• Like 5

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic